Happy Fourth of July!

Coffee talk.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Re: Happy Fourth of July!

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

randylahey wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:37 pm
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:17 am
randylahey wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:13 am People that commit these random acts of violence are people with mental health problems seeking attention. Stop giving it to them
Right. Because ignoring it/them will make the problem go away. :?
I'm surprised you're not telling us we should stop paying attention to them BEFORE they commit random acts of violence too.
Which is exactly why some/many of these people act out.
When the media/society glorifies and obsesses with these things. It increases the chances of it happening again. Pretty simple to figure that one out
Don't disagree but..... The day the media ignores and doesn't report about "these things" is the day the media becomes worthless.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

The media is already worthless. Its basically a manipulation tool at this point
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Used to be the news would tell you what happened, and you figure out what to think about a situation. Nowadays the media tells you what to think, then you have to figure out what actually happened
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

randylahey wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:20 pm The media is already worthless. Its basically a manipulation tool at this point
Opinionated "media" - yes, I agree "worthless".
Factual "news" - no, I don't agree worthless and I feel is extremely important and necessary.
Problem is we live in a country where way too many people are too stupid to know the difference/s between the two.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

randylahey wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:22 pm Used to be the news would tell you what happened, and you figure out what to think about a situation. Nowadays the media tells you what to think, then you have to figure out what actually happened
Shocker alert!!!!!
I 100% agree with you.
I assume you realize how you used the word "news" in the 1st sentence and the word "media" in the 2nd.
Some people interchange those words and yet they can have two vastly different meanings.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Sound on. I admit I laughed and it's not really that funny.

https://twitter.com/new_orleansjazz/sta ... 5636671488
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Oops
Defense. Rebounds.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Its sad when the one bipartisan thing we can all agree on is that that "they" are consistently trying to manipulate and dupe us all
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

This is not even remotely true. There’s one predominantly “conservative” outfit which unfortunately has a critical mass of followers has been doing the opposite of what it claims as its motto. The Illys of the world claim “both sides do it”.

As the saying goes “truth has a liberal bias”
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Media outlets provide 3 things:

News
Facts
Opinions

If you’re not smart enough to know the difference, that’s a you problem.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Cascadia wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:40 am Media outlets provide 3 things:

News
Facts
Opinions

If you’re not smart enough to know the difference, that’s a you problem.
^^^^^
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Happy America all.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Greatest country on earth. by a wide margin.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Yet more evidence it's the most patriotic state in the nation!

This holiday weekend, skiers are getting the rare chance to rep their best stars and stripes on the slopes:

https://youtu.be/V3c97qzKID4
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Where is 4th of July on the list oh Holidays? gotta be near the bottom right? Though 10 years ago I probably would've had it mich higher.
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:14 am Where is 4th of July on the list oh Holidays? gotta be near the bottom right? Though 10 years ago I probably would've had it mich higher.
What's always amazed me is how eager people seem to be to gleefully let their $ go up in smoke.

I liked firecrackers and bottle rockets, M-80s and cherry bombs, too, but decided at a young age I'd rather have the $ than the momentary thrill.

I married into a family where the patriarch lived on the edge of Lake Quivira on the W side of KC, and the entire extended clan would meet there July 4th and that night explode massive amounts of fireworks for what seemed like hours. Fun and nice to watch, but I was always glad they were paying for it, and not me.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:12 am Greatest country on earth. by a wide margin.
How many other countries have you been to and lived in?

You say that as a semi successful white person living in a nice community in Michigan - forgetting many of the rest of the people living in the USA who deal with......

Huge crime problems.
Huge drug problems.
Huge mental health problems.
Huge medical care problems.
Huge educational problems.
Huge religious problems.
Huge media problems.
Huge homelessness problems.
Huge lack of acceptance problems.
Huge environmental problems.
Huge political problems.

GBA!

defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

TDub wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:14 am Where is 4th of July on the list oh Holidays? gotta be near the bottom right? Though 10 years ago I probably would've had it mich higher.
Freudian slip?
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

In the early 2000s a friend would fly in from SF and spend the week prior to 4th of July helping me build a Rube Goldberg panel of various fireworks. We used everything from sparklers and flashers to Roman candles, spinners, fountains, rolls of firecrackers, and aerial bombs. The whole display lasted about 40 minutes and the grand finale was pretty impressive. My friend was so excited to be able to ignite fireworks, and he knew that I was in graduate school, so he paid for everything . Sometime around 2008 or 2009, Lawrence banned most fireworks within the city limits. We stopped making the display but I have some pretty cool videos from our efforts.