Ugh.
zsn
Contributor

Re: 2024

Post by zsn »

TDub wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:47 pm
Sparko wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:49 pm Sparko is saying you have a choice between an authoritarian running for president who will sieze your assets and maybe force you into a camp in a dystopia where voting is suspended forever. And a guy doing a pretty good job running a nation of divergent interests.
so, what your saying is that I'm forced into voting for the preselected, pre-approved, handpicked octegenarian thay they've shuffled to the top of the ballot as my only other option.

The illusion of choice. It's like the fake thermostats in hotel rooms to make people feel like they have the control of the room climate...but in reality they're preset to specific parameters and the thermostat you're touching is a decoy and not even hooked to the system.
Your point is………….you sleep in your car?????

You have stated (presumably) the problem. What is your solution?

I actually have many reasons why I’m voting FOR Biden. Not just voting against Trump.

Btw, if you are interested in true election reform you would be working to abolish, or at least render meaningless, the Electoral College.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

wouldn’t be the worst thing
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

zsn wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:35 am
Sparko wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:49 pm Sparko is saying you have a choice between an authoritarian running for president who will sieze your assets and maybe force you into a camp in a dystopia where voting is suspended forever. And a guy doing a pretty good job running a nation of divergent interests.
so, what your saying is that I'm forced into voting for the preselected, pre-approved, handpicked octegenarian thay they've shuffled to the top of the ballot as my only other option.

The illusion of choice. It's like the fake thermostats in hotel rooms to make people feel like they have the control of the room climate...but in reality they're preset to specific parameters and the thermostat you're touching is a decoy and not even hooked to the system.

I actually have many reasons why I’m voting FOR Biden. Not just voting against Trump.

Btw, if you are interested in true election reform you would be working to abolish, or at least render meaningless, the Electoral College.
get rid of lobbies and quit demonizing 3rd party votes as something terrible.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

twocoach wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:29 am
TDub wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:15 am
twocoach wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:46 am
I don't hold people like that responsible. I hold people who vote for people like that responsible. If we want younger, more in tune representatives then we should actually support them, donate to them, volunteer for them and vote for them. We keep doing this to ourselves.
Oh... now do the presidency and tell us more about how we have options on where to cast our vote..

because last I checked I've been told here a thousand times that voting for a 3rd party is a throw away vote and irresponsible.

So, tell me, as a person who can't impact the nominees or compete with the lobbies....about how I have options.
If only we held primaries where many more people were available to vote for...
Tell me the large cast of candidates I got to pick from in the Democratic primary this go around?
Were there a number of varied viable candidates?
Or?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I been thinking about starting the “Blue MAGA” thread, to discuss how Dems can be just as culty and tribal and “vote blue no matter who” and, for lack of a better term, fascist, as pubs.

But, let’s face it: that thread wouldn’t go over well.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:28 am I been thinking about starting the “Blue MAGA” thread, to discuss how Dems can be just as culty and tribal and “vote blue no matter who” and, for lack of a better term, fascist, as pubs.

But, let’s face it: that thread wouldn’t go over well.
"He's old and not as progressive as I would like but I'll vote for him anyways" is a bit different than "he's old and rapes more women than I'd like but I'll vote for him anyways" but go ahead and "both sides do it" yourself away.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:58 am

Oh... now do the presidency and tell us more about how we have options on where to cast our vote..

because last I checked I've been told here a thousand times that voting for a 3rd party is a throw away vote and irresponsible.

So, tell me, as a person who can't impact the nominees or compete with the lobbies....about how I have options.
Tell me the large cast of candidates I got to pick from in the Democratic primary this go around?
Or?
That typically does not happen when a sitting President runs for reelection. If you didn't do the math on this when Biden ran the first time against a number of other primary choices then that's on you. When I vote for a Presidential candidate, I expect that to be for 2 terms.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Or?
Like it or not, in the real world, in view of the overwhelming advantages that accrue to incumbents, the expectation that there would be a large number of alternative candidates willing to challenge the incumbent candidate in a presidential election, is beyond naive.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Or?
Like it or not, in the real world, in view of the overwhelming advantages that accrue to incumbents, the expectation that there would be a large number of alternative candidates willing to challenge the incumbent candidate in a presidential primary election, is beyond naive.
Anand Giridharadas
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

TDub wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:51 am
zsn wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:35 am

get rid of lobbies and quit demonizing 3rd party votes as something terrible.
These are all things most people agree with. But what’s the path? The most meaningful short term solution is to get enough states to sign on to the 270 Compact. That is the biggest barrier to 3rd Party candidates. That and the fact that the sanest one we have gotten so far is Ross Perot!! Which is saying a lot.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The fuck is this terrible lazy i give up bc it is how it is bullshit from both these posters:

"If you didn't do the math on this when Biden ran the first time against a number of other primary choices then that's on you."

"Like it or not, in the real world, in view of the overwhelming advantages that accrue to incumbents, the expectation that there would be a large number of alternative candidates willing to challenge the incumbent candidate in a presidential primary election, is beyond naive."

Fuck that awful trash noise.
Putting the blame on the voter for not having a selection of candidates who best represent them?
Jesus Christo.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

pdub wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:20 am The fuck is this terrible lazy i give up bc it is how it is bullshit from both these posters:

"If you didn't do the math on this when Biden ran the first time against a number of other primary choices then that's on you."

"Like it or not, in the real world, in view of the overwhelming advantages that accrue to incumbents, the expectation that there would be a large number of alternative candidates willing to challenge the incumbent candidate in a presidential primary election, is beyond naive."

Putting the blame on the voter for not having a selection of candidates who best represent them?
Jesus Christo.
Do you disagree with something I said, or, is it that you don't like that what I said is true?
Anand Giridharadas
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I just have to address this again because holy fuck is this bad.
So over 4 years ago, when I preferred two other Democratic candidates and voted as such, I needed to 'do the math' and assume that if Biden won that there wouldn't be another chance to select a new candidate in my party in 2024?
And now my only choice is to vote for a dude who clearly ( iTs JUsT tHe RePUbliCAn naRRaTivE ) is having age related mental degradation and keeps propping up our economy as if it's soaring and good for the average middle class citizen?
That's on me?

LOLZtown. Enjoy the poli-bored bc that's ridiculous.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Shirley wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:23 am
pdub wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:20 am The fuck is this terrible lazy i give up bc it is how it is bullshit from both these posters:

Jesus Christo.
Do you disagree with something I said, or, is it that you don't like that what I said is true?
I don't like that we just accept it as true.
I'm naive for thinking voters should have a way way better choice for the people who represent their country.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

pdub wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:45 am

Jesus Christo.
I'm naive for thinking voters should have a way way better choice for the people who represent their country.
I think being aspirational about our system of elections and government and not accepting the status quo is admirable, and a very good, healthy thing. More power to you and TDub. I've felt your pain for decades. That being said, what have either of you done to bring about the changes you seek? (Insert humble brag about my history of working in political campaigns since before I was old enough to vote, [Having a draft number can do that.], the many campaigns I've made calls and knocked on doors for, contributed to, etc., etc.)

Meanwhile, back in the real world, like our present system or not, there's a very good chance that a Christo-Fascist movement that tried to nullify the votes of > 80,000,000,000 Americans four years ago might win in November and put an end to elections, imperfect as they are, for the foreseeable future.

If you don't see that as an imminent threat and prefer instead to yell at clouds because you don't like our current process, flawed as it is, I don't know what to tell you.
Anand Giridharadas
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Jesus Christo.
You're just ranting to rant at this point. The House of Representatives is where you go to look for a candidate who "best represents you" and look at the current state of that fucking mess. We have a House of Reps today that more closely "represents us" as a nation and it is more filled with more incompetent morons and scumbags than ever. So much winning.

Sorry but the reality of the Dems running a bunch of primary candidates against a sitting President is that it makes the entire Dem platform look weak which makes it more likely that they lose the White House. That's not awful trash noise. That's being an adult and accepting reality.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Jesus Christo.
We are a massive nation split into 50 pieces forever tied to an overarching document that founded our nation hundreds of years ago. Changing the fundamental way we elect our leaders isn't something that is going to happen in an election cycle or two. Tweaks will happen but the system will always have flaws and holes. It is simply too large not to.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:01 am

I think being aspirational about our system of elections and government and not accepting the status quo is admirable, and a very good, healthy thing. More power to you and TDub. I've felt your pain for decades. That being said, what have either of you done to bring about the changes you seek? (Insert humble brag about my history of working in political campaigns since before I was old enough to vote, [Having a draft number can do that.], the many campaigns I've made calls and knocked on doors for, contributed to, etc., etc.)

Meanwhile, back in the real world, like our present system or not, there's a very good chance that a Christo-Fascist movement that tried to nullify the votes of > 80,000,000,000 Americans four years ago might win in November and put an end to elections, imperfect as they are, for the foreseeable future.

If you don't see that as an imminent threat and prefer instead to yell at clouds because you don't like our current process, flawed as it is, I don't know what to tell you.
I think a big part of it is that when you say, "there's a very good chance that a Christo-Fascist movement that tried to nullify the votes of > 80,000,000,000 Americans four years ago might win in November and put an end to elections, imperfect as they are, for the foreseeable future," a very rational person might envision The Hunger Games and brush you off as being alarmist and overdramatic.

"That can't happen here."

Whether it can or can't, it won't.

Mostly because it won't need to. Minority rule will be entrenched, and power will be transferred by the will of the incumbents, not the will of the people.

In other words, take all of the criticisms you might have of a two-party system, and then subtract one.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

"...In other words, take all of the criticisms you might have of a two-party system, and then subtract one."

^^^

/thread
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

If you thought maybe, just maybe, the former president and failed coup leader might have something better to do at 2:20 a.m. on a day he has to be in court to attend his "hush money" trial, you'd be mistaken:

BREAKING: In a 2:20 a.m. EST post, Trump calls on Fox News boss Rupert Murdoch to fire Paul Ryan after Ryan said he won’t vote for Trump in 2024, writes, “Rupert Murdoch should fire pathetic RINO Paul Ryan from the Board of Fox. Ryan is a loser, always has been, and always will be. He was the WEAKEST & MOST INCOMPETENT Speaker of the House in its History. Fox will sink to the absolute bottom of the pack if Paul Ryan has anything to do with it!”

Donald Trump Truth Social 02:20 AM 05/09/24
Anand Giridharadas