Avoiding Superfund Cleanups with "Conservation Easements"

Ugh.
twocoach

Avoiding Superfund Cleanups with "Conservation Easements"

Post by twocoach »

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/sp ... -easements

Very interesting article on Boeing's handling of the Santa Susana Field Lab where Boeing did a lot of work on missiles and atomic reactors. Boeing is now trying to maneuver itself out of the clean up of said land under the guise of "environmental stewardship". Pretty repulsive.

Yet another example of the earth and it's people being poisoned by corporations because it is too expensive for them to clean up after themselves. And putting another Trumpian administration into the White House would only multiply the problem as they fully favor corporate cash over stewardship of the earth and its inhabitants.
japhy
Contributor

Re: Avoiding Superfund Cleanups with "Conservation Easements"

Post by japhy »

Because the easement prohibits building on the land, the company said, Boeing instead intended to make the property safe for light recreation, such as hiking.

An artist's rendering of a future hiker safely enjoying the rugged beauty of a post-industrial hellscape.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Boeing's stock price is up today.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:03 pm Boeing's stock price is up today.
So Much Winning
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I was thinking of Rocky Mountain Arsenal in Colorado as I started to read this. Sure enough, they mention it in the final paragraphs as an example of the Federal Govt doing something similar. When I went there to sample, it was pointed out to us that they gave the most contaminated sites scary names like Rattlesnake Hill (I don't recall the exact names used) to discourage hikers from being in that area.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Defense. Rebounds.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DrPepper wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:07 pm I was thinking of Rocky Mountain Arsenal in Colorado as I started to read this. Sure enough, they mention it in the final paragraphs as an example of the Federal Govt doing something similar. When I went there to sample, it was pointed out to us that they gave the most contaminated sites scary names like Rattlesnake Hill (I don't recall the exact names used) to discourage hikers from being in that area.
Colorado has a number of sites on the Superfund list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_S ... n_Colorado
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Is the term "Superfund" an oxymoron? Considering the scale of the problem how much funding would be "superfunding"?

Now the PPP loan program, that was muthafuckin superfunding! But seriously, shouldn't we be talking about cutting taxes on dividends right now?

My quick check showed there are about 1340 Superfund sites on the NPL. A total of 8 of those were considered completely remediated last year. Yeah ! Progress! And 5 new sites were added to the list. Sounds like a jobs program, 500 years worth of jobs.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.