Religion As A Shield

Ugh.
twocoach

Religion As A Shield

Post by twocoach »

I have long felt that many people use "it's my religious belief" as a shield for their poor behavior and disgusting beliefs because they feel that no one is allowed to have a problem with anything you feel your religion leads you to believe.

Now it seems that white nationalists are weaponizing this mechanism to spread acceptance for their beliefs throughout the nation.

"White Christian nationalist beliefs have infiltrated the religious mainstream so thoroughly that virtually any conservative Christian pastor who tries to challenge its ideology risks their career, says Kristin Kobes Du Mez, author of the New York Times bestseller, "Jesus and John Wayne: How White Evangelicals Corrupted a Faith and Fractured a Nation."
"These ideas are so widespread that any individual pastor or Christian leader who tries to turn the tide and say, 'Let's look again at Jesus and scripture,' are going to be tossed aside," she says."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/24/us/white ... index.html

Scum bags and criminals always seem to be one step ahead of good, law abiding people. So many of us are taught to give everyone the benefit of the doubt and not to question people's true intentions that our nation is being railroaded by grifters and vile scumbags who leverage our naivety for their own pursuit of wealth and power or the desire to punish those they see as less desirable or worthy.
Overlander
Contributor

Re: Religion As A Shield

Post by Overlander »

Been going on as long as folks have spoken languages.

Don’t tell yourJesusy friends…but the bull shit tale has been around a while.

Also, don’t bother trying to explain to them that they are all based on the pagans understanding that in the winter Solstice… for 3 days the sun is mostly absent.

Here are names of Gods throughout history that are said to have died and resurrected.

OSIRIS
An Egyptian, Ethiopian, Sudanese God. He was said to have been crucified, he died and resurrected 5,000 YEARS before Jesus.

HORUS
An Egyptian, Ethiopian, Sudanese God. He was said to have been crucified, he died and resurrected 3,000 YEARS before Jesus.

BUDDHA
An Indian God. He was said to have been crucified, he died and resurrected 600 YEARS before Jesus.

KRISHNA
An Indian God. He was said to have been crucified, he died and resurrected 900 YEARS before Jesus..

ZARATHUSTRA
An Iranian God. He was said to have been crucified, he died and resurrected 1,000 YEARS before Jesus.

HERCULES
A Greek God. He was said to have been crucified, he died and resurrected 800 YEARS before Jesus.

MITHRA
An Iranian God. He was said to have been crucified, he died and resurrected 600 YEARS before Jesus.

DIONYSUS
A Greek God. He was said to have been crucified, he died and resurrected 500 YEARS before Jesus..

THAMMUZ
A Babylonian God. He was said to have been crucified, he died and resurrected 2,000 YEARS before Jesus.

HERMES
A Greek God. He was said to have been crucified, he died and resurrected 200 YEARS before Jesus.

ADONIS
A Phoenician God. He was said to have been crucified, he died and resurrected 200 YEARS before Jesus.

JESUS CHRIST
A Roman God. He was said to have been crucified, he died and resurrected 1-30 AD.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

It is just so extremely galling that these men *expect* women to move or for the world to move the women because they "can't" sit next to them. If you're flying and this is a priority, book up the seat next to you. Or don't fly. Why is your misogyny everyone else's problem?

https://twitter.com/juliaioffe/status/1 ... wsrc%5Etfw
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

They're not "ultra-orthodox". As such, I am guessing there is more to this story. Plus, Israelis are well aware of the difference between flying El Al, where they gather to pray in the back, and international airlines where they don't.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

What do you get it you combine religion and science?
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

randylahey wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:45 pm What do you get it you combine religion and science?
Scientology?
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

mjl2 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:11 pm They're not "ultra-orthodox". As such, I am guessing there is more to this story. Plus, Israelis are well aware of the difference between flying El Al, where they gather to pray in the back, and international airlines where they don't.
You know better than me, why do you feel they are not Ultra Orthodox?
She claims they are Haredim - which I thought are often referred to as being Ultra Orthodox. Yes? No?
Regardless, I feel they are assholes if they feel they are above the rules/laws of the flight they are on.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

randylahey wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:45 pm What do you get it you combine religion and science?
trad
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

DCHawk1 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:30 pm
trad
you betcha!!

posting that made you feel all warm and fuzzy, right?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

JKLivin wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:46 pm
Scientology?
No that would be the combination of religion and a pyramid scheme
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

JKLivin wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:46 pm
Scientology?
The deep state.
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:54 pm
mjl2 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:11 pm They're not "ultra-orthodox". As such, I am guessing there is more to this story. Plus, Israelis are well aware of the difference between flying El Al, where they gather to pray in the back, and international airlines where they don't.
She claims they are Haredim - which I thought are often referred to as being Ultra Orthodox. Yes? No?
Regardless, I feel they are assholes if they feel they are above the rules/laws of the flight they are on.
Huh. Just haven't encountered many haredim without payout.
And yeah, they sound like assholes. But haredim fly regularly on international flights on international airlines and don't do this.
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

mjl2 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:27 pm
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:54 pm
Huh. Just haven't encountered many haredim without payout.
And yeah, they sound like assholes. But haredim fly regularly on international flights on international airlines and don't do this.
Best reporter in Israel agrees with me it looks like

https://twitter.com/LahavHarkov/status/ ... 89351?s=20

Lol, also realizing that "payot" was autocorrected to "payout". Point being, haredim usually have the long curls on the sides of their head.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Thanks for correcting "payout". I was too lazy to ask.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas