Brittney Griner

Coffee talk.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Brittney Griner

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Kind of surprised there isn't a thread about her. Actually, I'm really not being that some of you seem to take pride in ridiculing female basketball.

Maybe I should have put this on the Republicans Soul thread?

https://twitter.com/ACTBrigitte/status/ ... 3409934339

https://twitter.com/TomiLahren/status/1 ... 7710224384

https://twitter.com/lavern_spicer/statu ... 9678240769

https://twitter.com/jsmith4966/status/1 ... 2849223686

https://twitter.com/DineshDSouza/status ... 9585091590

https://twitter.com/ErrolWebber/status/ ... 7571778560
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Brittney Griner

Post by pdub »

Gutter was getting jealous of Illys summer.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I didn't know she despises America. Guess I'll have to take these tweeter's words for it.
Defense. Rebounds.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

pdub wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:01 am Gutter was getting jealous of Illys summer.
"rent free"

your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

we kind of discussed in some other thread but prob deserves its own.

As much as anything, Griner is a political prisoner; a pawn in a war game. It sucks! I feel for her. major league wrong place/wrong time, and it's a shame.

those tweets are so almost getting it, yet completely missing the point. But almost getting it!

cuz if you wanna lecture a black person about oppressive systems, particularly in the context of things like marijuana arrests, in the United States, lulz.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Why is it wrong place wrong time? She tried to take drugs into another country.

Just an absolutely stupid thing to do. Especially in Russia.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I believe the United States's position is that Griner was wrongfully detained.

IMO, that should play a more significant role in the narrative around the situation.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

There are actual falsely-imprisoned Americans in Russia and Griner is not one of them. She's probably getting screwed, but she knowingly broke the law in Russia...this shit is on her.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:17 am Why is it wrong place wrong time? She tried to take drugs into another country.

Just an absolutely stupid thing to do. Especially in Russia.
100% agree it was a stupid thing to do. 100% feel some form of punishment is justifiable - she broke a law.
100% feel it's wrong for people to take joy in her arrest and conviction (for a non-violent crime that hurt no one) because of her race, gender, sexual orientation, and her frustration with oppression in the United States.
Deleted User 863

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:31 am
100% feel it's wrong for people to take joy in her arrest and conviction (for a non-violent crime that hurt no one) because of her race, gender, sexual orientation, and her frustration with oppression in the United States.
Agree 100%. It's pathetic and predictable.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

Put me in the boat that it's hard to feel bad for her. She knew the current climate with Russia vs the rest of the world. It's also not her first time there, so it's not like she can plead ignorance to a law they have. A law that legit probably every country ass. Wonder if the White House as been in contact with Marc Fogel and his family. I suppose Iman Shumpert is being "wrongfully detained" in Texas for trying to bring drugs on a plane too.

That being said, 9 years is beyond extensive. That is 100% political even though smuggling charges are nothing to take lightly.

And of course there's the crowd saying she wouldn't have to go to Russia for money if the WNBA paid her more. Like she doesn't already make 7x the average American income. Wrong person, wrong place, wrong time, and the whole situation being completely avoidable can all be true.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'm around where ND is but do feel bad for her despite a really really dumb move trying to bring drugs into a country like Russia.

9+ years is ridiculous.

I think she'll be exchanged within a year.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

I would even say by the end of the year. Wasn't the big hang up being she hadn't been sentenced yet. Now trading a weed smoking basketball player for a "Merchant of Death" is another thing.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

there's people in the US serving time for marijuana too
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Russia has been asking for dangerous war criminals in exchange for Griner. if the united states makes that trade, it is one of the absolute dumbest moves I've ever seen

but Biden's approval rating is in the gutter. and he is dumb enough to do it
Deleted User 863

randylahey wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:31 pm Russia has been asking for dangerous war criminals in exchange for Griner. if the united states makes that trade, it is one of the absolute dumbest moves I've ever seen

It's harsh, but part of me agrees.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

The US will trade the "Merchant of Death" for her so she can come back and talk more shit on the country that just saved her ass.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

randylahey wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:27 pm there's people in the US serving time for marijuana too
Right. Now tell us how many are serving time for ONLY having a vape pen cartridge of cannabis oil.
Once again, I am NOT defending her for what she did. What she did was stupid and wrong.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

randylahey wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:31 pm Russia has been asking for dangerous war criminals in exchange for Griner. if the united states makes that trade, it is one of the absolute dumbest moves I've ever seen

How do you know what Russia has been asking for?
Who in the Russian government that has any say in a "deal" has publicly stated what they want in exchange?
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

What is the penalty for foreigners who bring marijuana across the US border? If Griner is part of a prisoner swap, is it not fair to expect her to receive that penalty?