Brittney Griner

Coffee talk.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: Brittney Griner

Post by Shirley »

randylahey wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 7:09 pm
Back2Lawrence wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 12:59 pm Let's not forget that there are many people less 'visible' than Griner that remain imprisoned. We really aren't as great as we think. At the end, it's Greed, and cha-ching that matter. Nothing else.
This is true. How many Americans are in jail here for simple possession charges? Hundreds of thousands? More?

And yet we trade the merchant of death to get griner back, while we lock up our own people for the same thing
Trump had 4 years to propose legalizing marijuana, but he didn't.

In Dec. of '22, President Biden signed a marijuana research bill into law making history by enacting the first piece of standalone federal cannabis reform legislation in U.S. history.

Biden issued a mass marijuana pardon in 2021, and he also directed an administrative review into cannabis scheduling under the CSA.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Well, that’s all fine and good

But, Biden’s going on year 3 of 4 of his chance to propose legalizing marijuana, and yet here we are celebrating (mostly performative and very narrowly prescribed) pardons and research bills and administrative reviews instead.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 12:31 pm
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 9:50 am
randylahey wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 9:03 am LOL. Funny how quickly she got humbled and brought back down to reality

https://twitter.com/dom_lucre/status/16 ... xqwqQ&s=19
Let me guess. You didn't bother to find out why she is choosing to stand for the anthem and didn't know nor care why she AND A LOT OF OTHER WNBA PLAYERS chose not to in the past.
I say that being you're the guy who claimed she "trashed" on her home country. Which she didn't. Did she?
Shes standing because she got a dose of reality. She experienced some real oppression elsewhere. And realized America is actually one of the most fair and least racist places in this planet
You ASSume
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 7:09 pm
Back2Lawrence wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 12:59 pm Let's not forget that there are many people less 'visible' than Griner that remain imprisoned. We really aren't as great as we think. At the end, it's Greed, and cha-ching that matter. Nothing else.
This is true. How many Americans are in jail here for simple possession charges? Hundreds of thousands? More?

And yet we trade the merchant of death to get griner back, while we lock up our own people for the same thing
She was charged with smuggling narcotics into the country, not drug possession. Kinda different.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

ousdahl wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 1:41 pm Well, that’s all fine and good

But, Biden’s going on year 3 of 4 of his chance to propose legalizing marijuana, and yet here we are celebrating (mostly performative and very narrowly prescribed) pardons and research bills and administrative reviews instead.
When did Biden promise to "legalize marijuana"?
Anand Giridharadas
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

here in the great state of maine we have rivers and lakes and mountains and oceans and the weed is legal. i dont know what goes on in the states that don't have legal weed. and i don't care.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

nice
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

pdub wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 3:12 pm here in the great state of maine we have rivers and lakes and mountains and oceans and the weed is legal. i dont know what goes on in the states that don't have legal weed. and i don't care.
Yeah, but do you have malls where you can survey 100 people? Maine is no Michigan,
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

we have malls. we have people. i'm i could survey 100 people in a mall here in maine and they would all say it is the greatest place on the planet.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Folks
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Feral wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 2:12 pm

Exactly!
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

ousdahl wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 3:54 pm
Feral wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 2:12 pm

Exactly!
So, you admit you overstated your whine.

#goodtoknow
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

no, you overstated my whine for me. nice gaslight tho!

I never said anything about Biden promising to legalize it, but maybe you know more than me.

so DID he? I don't think so, but also wouldn't be that surprised if he did.

(Either way, a politician promising to take legislative action for you is like a stripper promising that she really does think you're cute, right?)

all I meant was, if you're gonna fault Trump for not using his chance to "propose legalizing marijauana," let's fault Biden too, unless or until he does.

cuz, like I said - now's his chance!

And, if he really is gonna propose legalizing marijuana, he has to do just that - propose legalizing marijuana.

As in, if it's anything less than just that - actually proposing to actually legalize actual marijuana - then all these "administrative reviews" and such seems mostly like just more performative gestures.

but feel free to prove me wrong?

either that, or you're gonna have to stick another dollar under my g-string, you cutie.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Biden never said he would "propose legalizing marijuana", either.
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

again, exactly!

so much for all that "cannabis reform" talk, then.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

ousdahl wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 7:54 pm again, exactly!

so much for all that "cannabis reform" talk, then.
Educating someone as ignorant as you so I can argue with them, only interests me, occasionally.

Biden overhauls U.S. policy on marijuana, pardons prior federal offenses

President Joe Biden took steps to overhaul U.S. policy on marijuana on Thursday by pardoning thousands of people with federal offenses for simple marijuana possession and initiating a review of how the drug is classified...The president's decision fulfills a campaign promise and is likely to please members in his left-leaning political base

...Some Republicans, who U.S. voters prefer over Democrats for addressing crime-related policies, criticized it.

"In the midst of a crime wave and on the brink of a recession, Joe Biden is giving blanket pardons to drug offenders— many of whom pled down from more serious charges," Republican Senator Tom Cotton said on Twitter. "This is a desperate attempt to distract from failed leadership."

...The president's action drew praise from some members of Congress and from the industry.

“The Progressive Caucus applauds this action by President Biden today to advance criminal and racial justice," said Representative Pramila Jayapal, who chairs a group of left-leaning lawmakers, in a statement.

"This represents a major step in righting the wrongs of the past and amending policies that have negatively impacted so many,” said Khari Edwards, head of corporate social responsibility at Ayr Wellness Inc , one of the top U.S. cannabis retailers...
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

damn dude.

ignorant?

that hurts.

it really does.

fwiw, not trying to argue. Forgive me if my tone is too smartass.

and, by the way, yes, I do know Biden pardoned thousands of convicts for simple possession at the federal level last October. We had a discussion about it in da weed thread last October and everything. (btw did you know that not a single one of the pardons offered were for convicts who were actually in prison?)

And, I'm glad Biden did it! Don't get me wrong!

but, (and trying to be as non-tldr as possible) I just don't think those pardons, or flowery language like "initiating the review of how the drug is classified," are necessarily a sure indication Biden is really that progressive, and is trying to actually "overhaul" or U.S. marijuana policy like your article otherwise tries to suggest.

Call me cynical, but it still just feels like something closer to performative gestures, more so than actual reform. If Biden wants to actually overhaul U.S. federal marijuana policy, stop bullshitting around and just fucking declassify it already, you have the popular support of the Merican people and everything.

Or, an obvious follow-up question, that just might prove me wrong, and if so, please feel free to do so cuz I certainly sure as shit don't want to be ignorant, no really, I don't!:

the pardons, and classification review, and that article, are all from October. So, how's that review going? 8 months later, are we any closer to declassification? Are feds no longer making arrests nor bringing charges for simple possession?

my own cursory search failed to answer.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

we live in the greatest country on earth. uncle joe is just here for the ride. in maine you can drink the water straight from the ocean.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

I've heard there is great boating, you can play golf and hockey, and there aren't many border jumpers, Negros, and Jews, in Maine either. Fricking American Utopia!
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, but how’s the weed in Maine?