2022-23 Premier League

Other Sports.
UnholyLivingDead

2022-23 Premier League

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

The new season starts this afternoon so I figured why not make a thread for anyone who wants to discuss it.

Which team do you support? Any new PL followers rooting for Leeds just because they're the new Team America?
Can anyone besides Man City or Liverpool make a run at winning it this year?
Will Man U be able to sell Ronaldo since he prefers to go to a team in the Champions League and no one has been interested so far?
pdub
Site Admin

Re: 2022-23 Premier League

Post by pdub »

I'm a casual Arsenal fan ( since 2002 ) and like catching matches on weekend mornings now that they are featured on NBC.
I don't follow the league well enough to make a call but I'm hoping Arsenal finishes top 4.
UnholyLivingDead

Oh good, a fellow Arsenal fan! I think Arteta is making real strides with the team, I think top 4 may come down to who is farther along in their rebuild between Arsenal and Tottenham. I lean toward Spurs because Antonio Conte usually comes in, turns this around super fast, then burns all his bridges and is gone in 2-3 years' time. So Tottenham may be a head now but Arsenal is probably building better for the long term.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Bummer they blew it last season after having it right in their grasp.
UnholyLivingDead

Yeah, they really fell on their face in the last 3 games of last season.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Yes, I'm excited. If forced to choose, I would say I am for the Spurs. Looking forward to having a rooting interest in the UCL again. But, that loyalty is also so weak that I have no problem rooting for Arsenal and have in many of their games not against Tottenham. And, really, mostly love to root against the Manchesters and Chelseas.

I don't expect anyone will catch City w/ them going out and just snatching Haaland but would love to be surprised. Not a huge Liverpool guy, but they and Salah are easier to root for when they seem to be the most consistent right now in challenging City.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I've been a closet Liverpool fan for a while. Played with them in the 2000s FIFA games and beyond. No real reason for that outside of I liked Anfield and I liked their uniforms. But I don't follow close enough now. I'll watch a game on a Saturday morning here and there. And look at the standings occasionally.

Know Liverpool has a good roster and Klopp is a good manager. And they've been the most consistent at the top of the table for the last few years. Which is good for them.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

UnholyLivingDead wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:12 am Oh good, a fellow Arsenal fan! I think Arteta is making real strides with the team, I think top 4 may come down to who is farther along in their rebuild between Arsenal and Tottenham. I lean toward Spurs because Antonio Conte usually comes in, turns this around super fast, then burns all his bridges and is gone in 2-3 years' time. So Tottenham may be a head now but Arsenal is probably building better for the long term.
No Partey maybe ever again.

I'm not sure on Arteta but Arsenal were better last season than I think any level-headed fan would have predicted. An absolute collapse, though.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

No a fan of any team in the league but I'm definitely interested in how all the USMNT players do. I used to be quasi Arsenal fan when Wenger managed them but it was more that I just liked their style of play. Super fun to watch.

Christian Pulisic - Chelsea
Matt Turner - Arsenal
Brenden Aaronson - Leeds United
Tyler Adams - Leeds United
Antonee Robinson - Fulham
Chris Richards - Crystal Palace

I think that's all the guys on the World Cup radar.

What I'm really hoping for is that Tim Ream doesn't have a good run of play for Fulham and Gregggggg decides to let that old fuck go to Qatar.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

That's kind of me too. If Pulisic or anyone American is playing, I'll do my best to watch.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
UnholyLivingDead

Matt Turner is going to be solidly in the #2 goalkeeper spot at Arsenal as well. After Aaron Ramsdale snatched the #1 spot from Bernd Leno last season, they let Leno walk to Turner is the primary backup. Hopefully he gets some minutes in the Europa League and other competitions ahead of the World Cup because I kind of favor him over Steffen as the USMNT's starter at this point, although I'm comfortable enough with either.
UnholyLivingDead

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:49 am
UnholyLivingDead wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:12 am Oh good, a fellow Arsenal fan! I think Arteta is making real strides with the team, I think top 4 may come down to who is farther along in their rebuild between Arsenal and Tottenham. I lean toward Spurs because Antonio Conte usually comes in, turns this around super fast, then burns all his bridges and is gone in 2-3 years' time. So Tottenham may be a head now but Arsenal is probably building better for the long term.

I'm not sure on Arteta but Arsenal were better last season than I think any level-headed fan would have predicted. An absolute collapse, though.
And now he's in the starting lineup today.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

UnholyLivingDead wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:22 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:49 am

And now he's in the starting lineup today.
Wow. I have several friends that are serious gooners that will be not be ok with that at all.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Chris Richards was in the 18 but did not play in Crystal Palace's 0-2 loss to Arsenal. Matt Turner was also in the 18 for Arsenal but, predictably, did not play.

Tyler Adams goes the full 90 and Brenden Aaronson plays 85 minutes in Leeds 2-1 win over Wolverhampton. Only better start would have been a goal or assist from Aaronson but a strong debut for both.

Antonee Robinson goes the full 90 in Fulham's surprising 2-2 draw with Liverpool. Tim Ream captained Fulham and also went the full 90.

Pulisic is in the 18 for Chelsea, match just kicked off. Hopefully he gets in the match.

All in all, a solid start for the USMNT players.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Let’s just freeze this Top 4 as is.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

United. Lol.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Love it!
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:19 am United. Lol.
🚽
digitalkookie

Post by digitalkookie »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:16 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:19 am United. Lol.
🚽
I'll just leave this here and show myself out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5z22s7yBho
UnholyLivingDead

Arsenal the only team perfect through the first 3 weeks. They have a favorable schedule to start the season that they need to take advantage of. With Fulham and Aston Villa left, 5 wins out of 5 in August is not out of reach.