Coffee talk.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Medical Issues

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:22 pm
jfish26 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:05 pm
pdub wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:40 pm

It can't be confirmed that it was covid as I never tested positive ( but the BUD did right before I got sick ) but I'm still unable to run and it's been a month. My chest tightens and I completely loose my breath. I've also lost a percentage ( 50? who knows how to judge this ) of my smell and taste.

Let's just assume this won't happen to you though - it's all gon' be good.
I lost all smell with Covid Vol. I. Diapers, cat litter boxes, nothin. I exited Covid Vol. I knowing a new, funky smell I'd never smelled before, but now I'll catch it every now and then. Rotten eggs-ish.

Covid Vol. II had no such symptoms for me.
And you recovered what you lost in terms of smell jfish?

My heart goes out to you CR and pdub. Glad you're better Sparko. Hopefully time will be your cure pdub. The medical literature is filled with stories of various after effects, although it's still not a huge percentage, thank goodness. And trying to narrow down the reasons why some people are susceptible to after effects and some aren't has been elusive.

Because people, (not to mention "new" infectious diseases, i.e., the "Novel Corona virus"), are ____ing complicated.

dammit

Hope you don't come down with it Gutter.

As far as I know, I've never had it either...yet.
I had a fairly weak sense of smell going in, and it's further diminished since.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It has been an unexpected benefit with the aforementioned two things on JFish's initial list.
We were on a three hour road trip over Thanksgiving and the cat shat in his carrying case and I didn't smell a thing.

But barely tasting the gravy smothered over turkey, stuffing and green bean casserole didn't outweigh that benefit.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:37 pm It has been an unexpected benefit with the aforementioned two things on JFish's initial list.
We were on a three hour road trip over Thanksgiving and the cat shat in his carrying case and I didn't smell a thing.

But barely tasting the gravy smothered over turkey, stuffing and green bean casserole didn't outweigh that benefit.
Remember Thanksgiving 2020 like it was yesterday.

Went over to Mrs. Fish's dad's house. He and his elderly mother live in a small house, and they both smoke.

After dinner, we got in the car and set off toward a movie we were going to go to that night. I start driving in the direction of the movie theater, and Mrs. Fish says something like, "Are you crazy? We all need to go home and change first!"

"Oh. OH."
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:46 pm
pdub wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:37 pm It has been an unexpected benefit with the aforementioned two things on JFish's initial list.

Went over to Mrs. Fish's dad's house. He and his elderly mother live in a small house, and they both smoke.

After dinner, we got in the car and set off toward a movie we were going to go to that night. I start driving in the direction of the movie theater, and Mrs. Fish says something like, "Are you crazy? We all need to go home and change first!"

"Oh. OH."
That's the feeling I had leaving the Grand Emporium at 39th and Main in KC in the 80s. I learned to never wear my leather jacket there, because it would have to be dry cleaned every time.

As sensitive as I am to the smell of cigarette smoke, you'd never guess that I grew up in a cloud of smoke at home. Not to mention smoking was allowed nearly EveryWhere.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I wish they'd let establishments decide whether or not smoking was allowed.
I think 95% of them would not but I kinda miss that shady absolute hole in the wall that allowed smoking bar smell.

Another very distinct smell I miss related to smoking was comic book stores.
There was a little store on Mass by ITSBROTHERS! I think called Comic Corner or Kwality Comics or something that was run by the stereotype comic book owner and had that deep saturated chain smoker smell.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I remember going to see my uncle in the hospital following a heart attack. He was pissed that they wouldn't let him smoke in the room because he had oxygen.
Defense. Rebounds.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

pdub wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:04 pm I wish they'd let establishments decide whether or not smoking was allowed.
I think 95% of them would not but I kinda miss that shady absolute hole in the wall that allowed smoking bar smell.

Another very distinct smell I miss related to smoking was comic book stores.
There was a little store on Mass by ITSBROTHERS! I think called Comic Corner or Kwality Comics or something that was run by the stereotype comic book owner and had that deep saturated chain smoker smell.
Used to enjoy the smells of Town Crier's pipe tobacco.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I was able to retrain my smell sense by whiffing a small bottle of Thieves oil intermittently. It also helps if you chant
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

I cannot stand to be around cigarette smoke.

My parents both smoked, I never have.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Shirley wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:52 pm
jfish26 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:46 pm

"Oh. OH."
I learned to never wear my leather jacket there
Fonzie?
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:38 pm positive vibes, CR
Thanks, Traddy
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:16 pm Sorry about your illness Rocker! Hope you get/feel/stay better soon.

Thanks
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

So CR, any chance you're back in the pink*, again?

*As a kid I used to hear the phrase "in the pink" used often, but don't seem to much anymore. It just rolled off my tongue, (fingers), above, so I looked it up to see exactly what it meant, (because I love etymology), and thought I'd share.

In the pink is an idiom that means the very excellence of something and is commonly used in reference to health. For example, if you are impressed with the agility of your elderly dog, you might say, “A careful diet and regular exercise have helped keep him in the pink of health despite his age.”

What is the original meaning of "in the pink"?

...Given the trend during her era to emulate anything favored by royalty, the term “pink” and eventually “in the pink” evolved to symbolize the pinnacle of excellence. This colorful expression, which dates back to the times of Shakespeare, has remarkably retained its meaning throughout the centuries.

The origin of the phrase "in the pink" dates back to the late 1500s when a version of the saying appeared in Shakespeare’s classic, "Romeo and Juliet". In Shakespeare’s usage, though, it meant an outstanding example, with no connotation of health or vitality. It has also been linked to British fox hunting, where tradition dictated that riders who exhibited superior skills and an impressive level of service earned the privilege of wearing a scarlet jacket, which was considered a prestigious honor.

(Dress codes on Fox hunts? Who knew? But then, it is the British...)
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

not the way i’ve heard that phrase used ;)
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I had a completely different meaning in mind.
Defense. Rebounds.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

my grandparents used to use that phrase..

they'd say when you were sick you'd be pale and ghoulish white or greenish white, then as the health returned the "color returned to your face" and you be in the pink again
Just Ledoux it
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

Shirley wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:22 am So CR, any chance you're back in the pink*, again?
Much improved. Cough has diminished, is no longer dry, but productive. No aches. Nose has mercifully stood down greatly. Energy is low.

That's the biggest issue now. I could nap at any opportunity, but am trying to keep a normal sked, 'cuz I need to be back at work Mon. (masked, limited contact, etc). Temp steady at 97°. Still chilly alla time.

Thanks for asking, Doc.

Hope everyone stays healthy. rcjhku!
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

jhawks99 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:56 am I had a completely different meaning in mind.
A dirty one, right?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

ChalkRocker wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:19 am
jhawks99 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:56 am I had a completely different meaning in mind.
A dirty one, right?

Yes.
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

ChalkRocker wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:17 am
Shirley wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:22 am So CR, any chance you're back in the pink*, again?
Much improved. Cough has diminished, is no longer dry, but productive. No aches. Nose has mercifully stood down greatly. Energy is low.

That's the biggest issue now. I could nap at any opportunity, but am trying to keep a normal sked, 'cuz I need to be back at work Mon. (masked, limited contact, etc). Temp steady at 97°. Still chilly alla time.

Thanks for asking, Doc.

Hope everyone stays healthy. rcjhku!
Glad to hear you're in fine fettle, CR!
Anand Giridharadas