Medical Issues

Coffee talk.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Re: Medical Issues

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Probably should have gone on a Covid thread but this is "medical issue" related.

Gutter and co-workers in the same department. We have 8 people in our department.
Let's review.
Time line....
* A little over two months ago one employee was clearly sick but she was in the office telling people she was fine. Nope. Not fine. Covid.

* One month ago a different employee was clearly sick but she was in the office telling people she was fine.
Nope. Not fine. Covid.

* About a 10 days ago a different employee was clearly sick but she was still in the office telling people she was SICK.
Yep. Sick. Covid.

* About a week ago a different employee sends a drunken rant email at 3:00am saying she might have Covid. Her roommate has Covid.
Nope. No Covid per at home test but she came in to work despite feeling not well.

* Late last week a different employee was clearly sick but she was still in the office telling people she was SICK.
Nope. Not Covid. RSV.

* Yesterday a different employee was clearly sick but he was still in the office. Said he is not sick but has a continuous repulsive phlegmy cough.
Stay tuned.......
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

only millenials and gen z weaklings stay home when they don't feel well.

how would anything get done if we all stayed home.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:45 am only millenials and gen z weaklings stay home when they don't feel well.

I'm going to guess a number of posters here are largely remote workers.
No, MICH, this is not someone who repairs television remotes.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Dang, really?

Cuz I know that one that turns on the teevee and that one that scrolls thru the cable channels and that one for the surround sound and that one for the dvd player, but what the heck is that little chunky one for, anyway?

Guess this ain’t the place to ask.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

ChalkRocker wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:17 am
Shirley wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:22 am So CR, any chance you're back in the pink*, again?
Much improved. Cough has diminished, is no longer dry, but productive. No aches. Nose has mercifully stood down greatly. Energy is low.

That's the biggest issue now. I could nap at any opportunity, but am trying to keep a normal sked, 'cuz I need to be back at work Mon. (masked, limited contact, etc). Temp steady at 97°. Still chilly alla time.

Thanks for asking, Doc.

Hope everyone stays healthy. rcjhku!
since my last bout with covid, about 3 months ago, unannounced here (right before i got diagnosed with then acute pancreatitis), I have had the chills off and on and been slightly tired the entire time. It might just me being lazy at this point. Not like Mich is saying, but in my own head for sure.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Long COVID is a thing. The booster has helped some people snap out of it. As a blood disease, COVID impacts organs in sometimes unknown ways.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Gutter, does your team of desk jockeys have zero remote days allowed? It seems your employer breeds the culture of coming to the office at all costs... damn you, the environment and the health of their worker pawns.

I may see my supervisor in person three times a year. We are a professional staff (4 people and the supervisor) and treated as such. If I have a sore throat, wimpy pet, didn't sleep well, etc I send a note on Teams and say I am sleeping in, working remote, taking the day off, etc. It would be seen as very rude to spread germs. We don't want our people to get sick or spread gunk to their families. Seriously seen as rude.

Every one of us has a remote set up, vpn, and all info is kept in the cloud. Except for a couple of activities (and we are cross-trained on those so that we can back each other up), I can work from anywhere. Had a guy this time last year who dad was dying in Germany. So he worked from Germany for 3-4 months while caring for his parents and family matters.

I realize that not everyone is a desk jockey. But a significant chunk of adults in careers are. Thank you, covid, for showing us who is really keeping us going (front line workers) and that we can find a way to do a LOT remotely.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:45 am only millenials and gen z weaklings stay home when they don't feel well.

Only selfish assholes go in to work when they don't feel well.

How would anything get done if an entire group or organization gets infected and sick thanks to an ill coworker coming in despite knowing they are sick and no one is available to work?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:26 am

Only selfish assholes go in to work when they don't feel well.

How would anything get done if an entire group or organization gets infected and sick thanks to an ill coworker coming in despite knowing they are sick and no one is available to work?
If your team isn't doing 300 up-downs in the hallway for every hour any team member calls in sick, what kind of All-American Work Ethic can you even say you have?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Sparko wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:37 am Long COVID is a thing. The booster has helped some people snap out of it. As a blood disease, COVID impacts organs in sometimes unknown ways.
Pretty fascinating: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... covid.html
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

the medical term for crappy work ethic is millenialitis
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:24 am the medical term for crappy work ethic is millenialitis
What does age have to do with the notion that if sick people can work from home, it makes sense for them to do so in order to avoid, you know, making other people sick?
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:51 am
MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:24 am the medical term for crappy work ethic is millenialitis
What does age have to do with the notion that if sick people can work from home, it makes sense for them to do so in order to avoid, you know, making other people sick?
Obviously, this has nothing to do with Mich, but "the notion that if sick people can work from home, it makes sense for them to do so" is very age/generation-dependent. For Boomers and Xers, that option simply did not exist for most of their/our careers.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:01 pm
Obviously, this has nothing to do with Mich, but "the notion that if sick people can work from home, it makes sense for them to do so" is very age/generation-dependent. For Boomers and Xers, that option simply did not exist for most of their/our careers.
That's fine, and individual experiences vary; regardless of age, the people I've worked with have tended to not want sick people coming into the office, even before Covid. In fact, I'm not sure "regardless of age" is right - if anything, in my experience, it has been the older folks telling the younger folks that nobody is a hero for coming to an office job sick.

And in any case, "getting everyone sick to own the millennials" is not exactly a badge of honor in my opinion.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

because you are so self centered. you think everything is done to "own" you.

that mindset comes with the millenial/genz "everythingrevolvesaroundmeitis"
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:12 pm because you are so self centered. you think everything is done to "own" you.

Mich has arrived at self awareness.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:12 pm because you are so self centered. you think everything is done to "own" you.

I'm not saying anything at all about myself. I do not feel that you are attacking "my" generation at all; owning the "millennials" where they need owning would not include owning me.

But, interesting to get lectured on self-centeredness from someone who is taking the side of one person getting everyone else sick = work ethic.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Interesting post from arguably the most self-centered poster on the boreds.
Defense. Rebounds.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

some might say that going to work when you don't feel your best. is one of the least self-centered things you can do. putting the company first.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

DCHawk1 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:01 pm
^^^

Having that option would have made a big difference, I'm sure.

That being said, there's no question the prevailing culture by far at the places I worked, was that you sucked it up and showed up, because if you didn't, someone else would have to do their and your work. Which should be no surprise, because the people who were our bosses had nearly all grown up on farms where a lot of things can't wait until tomorrow, and had spent their late teens/early 20s fighting in WWII.

My father had come thru that crucible, become a realtor after the war, and considered my brother and I free labor. That's how he was treated on the farm by his father, so the idea of paying us wasn't front of mind for him, or us. If we wanted to make money, we would find lawns to mow. (My brother was older so he could push the mower faster, and I would go along and trim all the areas he couldn't reach with a hand trimmer because string trimmers hadn't been invented yet. I still hate chain link fences to this day... We charged $2.00 per lawn.)

If we weren't in school and my father had something, anything, for us to do around one of his construction sites, he'd get us up and take us there. A good % of what we did can partially be summed up as coming along after the different subcontractors and cleaning up after them. We did that for years until we were finally old enough to drive nails. Every site had a burn pile and a dump pile. What wouldn't burn, broken bricks, cinder blocks, sheet rock, etc., we'd load in a pickup truck, (Chevy), and because we weren't nearly old enough to drive, his father would take us to the dump and we'd unload the bed by hand. It was always amazing to me how many seagulls there were at a dump in the middle of the country.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas