A weekend of Mexican movies.....

Coffee talk.
japhy
Contributor

A weekend of Mexican movies.....

Post by japhy »

....trout fishing, an encampment of hippie chicks and how the three stooges change a tire in 6 hours.

It was an action packed weekend in the Empire!

Watching "Ya No Estoy Aqui" and "Sleep Dealer" at the Frontier under a full moon while Perseid meteors cross the sky over the big screen. Fishing my private trout stream on the other side of The Gates of Hell. Dinner at a cabin that was the Saguache County men's old age home in the 1890's with a bunch of hippie chicks microdosing shrooms. I don't even know how to describe what will forever be known as "The 6 Hour Flat Tire On County Road T Incident", but it seems that a hippie chick who helped build Meow Wolf saved Defix and Oussie's bacon with a grinder. At least that's how I heard the story.

https://303magazine.com/2022/08/frontier-drive-inn/

If you show up on October 1 you better have a spare tire and a jack and know how to use the god damn things.

And bring some prerolls, a hash pipe is kind of a pain.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
ousdahl

Re: A weekend of Mexican movies.....

Post by ousdahl »

the drive in is rad. I'm wondering if we can rent it out, namely for a Big Lebowski viewing party.

Big Blue is a surprisingly comfy couch to crash on.

Had a delicious breakfast at this little Mennonite cafe. Munch hash browns, sip coffee, and discuss our favorite DC socks.

That trout stream was among the coolest I've seen. Not only did I implore Japhy to never tell any Texans about it, but I also insisted he blindfold me on the way there just to be sure. Only a couple feet wide, narrow enough to step across at many spots, yet a couple feet deep too, and surprisingly nice fish.

Saw a badger dead on the side of the road. Japhy produces his "beheading hatchet," a tool for just these sorts of situations, but we decided the thing was just too squished to salvage a specimen for the skull collection.

Can vouch for the hippie chicks. The kind of free-spirited types who reject the oppressive norms of things like brassieres. Go figure everyone was microdosing. It's a pot luck, I offer my stash of peanut butter and Pringles and other road trip snacks, when somebody busts out giant pots full of legit Panang curry and rice. Didn't see that coming but soo so tasty.

On the way home from that, Japhy and I come across Defixione with a flat tire. It's dark up a forest road and we’re not even dosed, and I was looking for a reason to go back up to that hippie party the next day anyway, so I suggest just all riding back that night in Japhy's truck and I'll give Defix a ride back up, let's just deal with it in the morning. There was enough room for everyone as long as I spooned with Dok.

We all get back to the Spud Lounge to listen to Japhy's sweet stereo while discussing the loudest concerts we've ever attended, and also enjoy brews and the hash pipe. (YOU bring some prerolls next time bro, at least I was holding!)

Next morning, Japhy feeds me a quiche seasoned with two of the most delicious chili powders. Serious gourmet shit. Then, back up to the truck with Defix. The jack provided is this goofy little bottle jack that barely even reaches the bottom of the truck, let alone lift high enough to get the tire off the ground. Additionally, the spare tire is stuck under the bed, and won't lower down in the way the geeenius truck designers intended, even with the stupid security key.

We're sitting around waiting for AAA, who was supposed to be there at 11 but still a no-show at noon. We drive my truck back to civilization to check phones, only to find AAA had unilaterally cancelled the service. We ask them to send their guy again, and to let him know we need a jack that'll lift a truck, and need a way to get the spare tire unstuck.

We go back and are waiting by the truck when a lifted 4x4 rolls by. Go figure its another hippie chick, all tatted up, wearing a sundress so looose fitting she's gotta hold it down with her hand so it won't blow away in the breeze. She says if AAA doesn't help then come to her ranch up the road, we're welcome to her tools.

While still waiting for AAA again, the last two friends from the party drive down. One is this nomadic blue-eyed brunette I was chatting up the night before. As I'm chatting her up again Defix is back by the truck shouting GO FISHING WITH OUSDAHL, and she says ok cool fun, and asks for my contact. If and when she hits me up, Defixione gets wingman of the year award.

AAA sucks. They have no way of getting the tire unstuck despite that being the reason we called. The guy is at least nice though, and has a badass not-so-concealed handgun in a "Let's Go Brandon" holster wedged in the back of his pants.

We take my truck up to the other chick's ranch to inquire about tools and also to make sure that sundress didn't blow away. She and her hippie counterparts offer a far superior scissor jack, a battery grinder, and a sawsall. After coming at the stuck spare tire mount with all those bitches at once, finally the spare is free!

Now my interest in the empire is piqued more than ever. I'm wondering if there's hippie chicks in sundresses up every single one of those forest roads. Only one way to be sure.

Thanks again to Japhy and Defixione, and to the cosmic forces of the Empire. 10/10 would go again.

My only regret was no internet up those forest roads so I couldn't live blog the whole weekend.
Last edited by ousdahl on Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

The only other thing I should add is I kind of wanted to go crash that speakeasy cantina again, but it would've just not been the same without Plano.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Yeah, wished I could have been there.
I have next year marked on the calendar, thanks for sending me that Japhy.

Hippy chicks rule.

Sounds like Stumbalina was absent as well?
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Story time!
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Sounds like a weekend.

Loudest concerts I have seen are:
Jefferson Starship. Sometime in the 70's, I don't really remember. Municipal Arena in KCMO. No reason for that many amps in that venue.
Stones at Kemper circa 1980 or so. I still remember the piano drilling into my head and wishing it would be over.
Defense. Rebounds.
shindig

Post by shindig »

Soooo, you're saying my Audi A4 sedan won't make it up in them there woods? Maybe next year, I could bring my bro, he just bought a 2022 Honda Ridgeline.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:21 am Sounds like a weekend.

Loudest concerts I have seen are:
Jefferson Starship. Sometime in the 70's, I don't really remember. Municipal Arena in KCMO. No reason for that many amps in that venue.
Stones at Kemper circa 1980 or so. I still remember the piano drilling into my head and wishing it would be over.
The Swans, Mabuhay Gardens, SF, 1981 and The Ramones, Mabuhay Gardens, SF, 1983.
Last edited by defixione on Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:01 am the drive in is rad. I'm wondering if we can rent it out, namely for a Big Lebowski viewing party.
K9
Big Blue is a surprisingly comfy couch to crash on.

Had a delicious breakfast at this little Mennonite cafe. Munch hash browns, sip coffee, and discuss our favorite DC socks.

That trout stream was among the coolest I've seen. Not only did I implore Japhy to never tell any Texans about it, but I also insisted he blindfold me on the way there just to be sure. Only a couple feet wide, narrow enough to step across at many spots, yet a couple feet deep too, and surprisingly nice fish.

Saw a badger dead on the side of the road. Japhy produces his "beheading hatchet," a tool for just these sorts of situations, but we decided the thing was just too squished to salvage a specimen for the skull collection.

Can vouch for the hippie chicks. The kind of free-spirited types who reject the oppressive norms of things like brassieres. Go figure everyone was microdosing. It's a pot luck, I offer my stash of peanut butter and Pringles and other road trip snacks, when somebody busts out giant pots full of legit Panang curry and rice. Didn't see that coming but soo so tasty.

On the way home from that, Japhy and I come across Defixione with a flat tire. It's dark up a forest road and we’re not even dosed, and I was looking for a reason to go back up to that hippie party the next day anyway, so I suggest just all riding back that night in Japhy's truck and I'll give Defix a ride back up, let's just deal with it in the morning. There was enough room for everyone as long as I spooned with Dok.

We all get back to the Spud Lounge to listen to Japhy's sweet stereo while discussing the loudest concerts we've ever attended, and also enjoy brews and the hash pipe. (YOU bring some prerolls next time bro, at least I was holding!)

Next morning, Japhy feeds me a quiche seasoned with two of the most delicious chili powders. Serious gourmet shit. Then, back up to the truck with Defix. The jack provided is this goofy little bottle jack that barely even reaches the bottom of the truck, let alone lift high enough to get the tire off the ground. Additionally, the spare tire is stuck under the bed, and won't lower down in the way the geeenius truck designers intended, even with the stupid security key.

We're sitting around waiting for AAA, who was supposed to be there at 11 but still a no-show at noon. We drive my truck back to civilization to check phones, only to find AAA had unilaterally cancelled the service. We ask them to send their guy again, and to let him know we need a jack that'll lift a truck, and need a way to get the spare tire unstuck.

We go back and are waiting by the truck when a lifted 4x4 rolls by. Go figure its another hippie chick, all tatted up, wearing a sundress so looose fitting she's gotta hold it down with her hand so it won't blow away in the breeze. She says if AAA doesn't help then come to her ranch up the road, we're welcome to her tools.

While still waiting for AAA again, the last two friends from the party drive down. One is this nomadic blue-eyed brunette I was chatting up the night before. As I'm chatting her up again Defix is back by the truck shouting GO FISHING WITH OUSDAHL, and she says ok cool fun, and asks for my contact. If and when she hits me up, Defixione gets wingman of the year award.

AAA sucks. They have no way of getting the tire unstuck despite that being the reason we called. The guy is at least nice though, and has a badass not-so-concealed handgun in a "Let's Go Brandon" holster wedged in the back of his pants.

We take my truck up to the other chick's ranch to inquire about tools and also to make sure that sundress didn't blow away. She and her hippie counterparts offer a far superior scissor jack, a battery grinder, and a sawsall. After coming at the stuck spare tire mount with all those bitches at once, finally the spare is free!

Now my interest in the empire is piqued more than ever. I'm wondering if there's hippie chicks in sundresses up every single one of those forest roads. Only one way to be sure.

Thanks again to Japhy and Defixione, and to the cosmic forces of the Empire. 10/10 would go again.

My only regret was no internet up those forest roads so I couldn't live blog the whole weekend.
Definitely a day I'll never forget. Even with my high level of anxiety over needing to be in Kansas the next day, Ousdahl was the best pardner in this episode of "Three Stooges change a flat tire". Hours of existentialism and pragmatism, with a little KU sports sprinkled in between. Our collaboration on a book of this adventure would outsell Zen And The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.
Last edited by defixione on Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZWmYEUoweg

I saw these guys at Off-The-Wall Hall in Lawrence about 1980? Lead singer holds a large truck spring in front of himself on a rope and "plays" it with a piece of rebar. Behind the band there was a looping video of an autopsy playing. Over and over you see a saw cut thru a person's skull and then the skull cap is folded back exposing the brain. It was an assault on your senses and the synth noise was set to a frequency that set up a vibration in your inner ear and caused you to lose equilibrium. The pamphlet they gave us on the way out of the show explained that it was something they read about in an old Nazi experiment for using sound waves as a weapon in battle. We saved a lot of money on beer that night.

OK...... it was kinda fucked up.
But it was one hell of a fucking show.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsbvo5GVK10

And then there was this shitshow at Off The Wall Hall in 1981? Only show I ever saw shut down because it was so fucking loud it was disturbing the neighbors blocks away. Must have been half the Lawrence police force came in the front door wearing riot gear; helmets, batons the full ass kicking regalia. Later that night the band shows up at my girlfriend's house to party. I remember dancing with the bass player to Diana Ross and the Supremes, talking to Henry over a beer in her kitchen and then gf declaring at 3:00 AM that we have to sleep at my apartment cuz she has not idea when this circus will wind down.

My daughters gave me a Henry Rollins 50 t-shirt on my 50th birthday. After they heard this story they thought I might have been cool before I was their "pappy". They started calling "pappy" after we watched "The Royal Tenenbaums" together.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Rollins is badass
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Annie Oakley had the presence of mind to take this photo as we were watching the film on Friday night. We had just watched a huge orange moon rise over the Sangre de Cristos and during the movie a bright Perseid meteor crossed the sky over the screen. We are sitting on the most lush green carpet of grass you could imagine growing in a high altitude desert. The whole thing was pretty surreal. The subtitle captures our feelings about the Empire these days. This may be the most visually spectacular film venue on the planet.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:01 am the drive in is rad. I'm wondering if we can rent it out, namely for a Big Lebowski viewing party.
If all of the accommodations (quonsets and yurts) in the place are rented by a single group, they get the run of the place including the snack bar and they get to request the movie for the night.

I know a guy. So maybe there could be a group rate.

After party in the Spud Lounge.

Just tossing that out there.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

japhy wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:29 pm
If all of the accommodations (quonsets and yurts) in the place are rented by a single group, they get the run of the place including the snack bar and they get to request the movie for the night.

I know a guy. So maybe there could be a group rate.

After party in the Spud Lounge.

Just tossing that out there.
I'm in.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Me too
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'm renting it and we're watching Bride Wars.