Historic Student Loan Relief

Coffee talk.
dolomite
Contributor

Historic Student Loan Relief

Post by dolomite »

Why only $10,000 Joe? C’mon it’s only money!
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
Deleted User 863

Re: Historic Student Loan Relief

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Do I get any money for being responsible enough for paying for my college on my own (thanks mom and dad)?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:40 am Do I get any money for being responsible enough for paying for my college on my own (thanks mom and dad)?
So are you implying people who take out student loans aren't "responsible" people?
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

what about the kids that busted their ass getting scholarships so they didnt have to be burdened with debt and/or could go to college at all? fuck them huh? why reward hard work at all? whats the incentive for people to go above and beyond to improve/prove themselves if debts are forgiven anyway?
Just Ledoux it
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Basically forgiving interest and little else. Don't really care about this at all. Wish they would focus on fixing the broken education system instead.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

for now, but there is a growing chorus calling for forgiveness of the entirety of the debt. Thats the discussion. The 10k doesn't really warrant a large discussion.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Biden is hesitant to even forgive $10k

i highly doubt this goes any further, at least under the current administration
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Deleted User 863

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:46 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:40 am Do I get any money for being responsible enough for paying for my college on my own (thanks mom and dad)?
So are you implying people who take out student loans aren't "responsible" people?
Not at all. Sorry if it seemed that way.

But why punish those who already paid off their loans? Or exclude them from the benefit?

Thankfully, even with the glaring issues with this "relief", it will likely mostly help those who truly need it.

I think taking out hundreds of thousands of dollars for a college education for a field of study that won't justify spending that much on education is sometimes irresponsible. For many decades students have sort of been lead down the college route even if it wasn't truly the best option for them.

For some specialized career choices college education absolutely makes sense and is beneficial (doctors, lawyers, etc). But a lot of kids/students are taking out hundreds of thousands in student loans only to graduate and be working at starbucks or front desk at a hotel complaining about guests requesting early check ins.

Imo college education has turned out to be a total scam for some people relative to how much it costs.
Deleted User 863

Cascadia wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:21 am Wish they would focus on fixing the broken education system instead.
This x1000.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I can definitely see loan forgiveness for students who got caught up in preditory institutions, like trump u. I'm not sure that kids 100k in debt with an art history degree should get any relief.

Also, something needs to give going forward. More trade schools, more job focused learning and more affordable to everyone. The downside of this is less well rounded education though.
Defense. Rebounds.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:31 am Also, something needs to give going forward. More trade schools, more job focused learning and more affordable to everyone. The downside of this is less well rounded education though.
I think I've posted something similar before, but I think we need to revamp the public education system so that kids essentially leave high school with the equivalent of an associates degree. Then you can get a bachelors degree in two years instead of four. The 'traditional' high school education would be completed by 10th grade, maybe 11th is a bit of a hybrid and 12th grade would be focused on what the student wants to pursue. If that's a trade, great. If that's the beginning of a traditional bachelors, great.

If you can make this happen, I would definitely support debt forgiveness for kids who get a bachelors degree from an in state university.
Last edited by Cascadia on Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

if the government is giving people money to have kids, i don’t have a problem with money being given for an education
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

My more radical take is that the public education system is essentially just government provided day care.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:57 am what about the kids that busted their ass getting scholarships so they didnt have to be burdened with debt and/or could go to college at all? fuck them huh? why reward hard work at all? whats the incentive for people to go above and beyond to improve/prove themselves if debts are forgiven anyway?
This is just "where's mine" mentality. Their reward was that they got scholarships. The incentive for people to go above and beyond is that there is zero guarantee that this is anything more than a one time action to help spur the economy and please young voters.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Cascadia wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:08 am My more radical take is that the public education system is essentially just government provided day care.
My take is that public education is essentially just tax payer provided development of their children outside of their home so that kids learn how to learn from people who aren't their parents.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Cascadia wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:08 am My more radical take is that the public education system is essentially just government provided day care.
What a shitty take.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

twocoach wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:14 am
My take is that public education is essentially just tax payer provided development of their children outside of their home so that kids learn how to learn from people who aren't their parents.
sadly, this is no longer the case in much of the country
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

twocoach wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:13 am
TDub wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:57 am what about the kids that busted their ass getting scholarships so they didnt have to be burdened with debt and/or could go to college at all? fuck them huh? why reward hard work at all? whats the incentive for people to go above and beyond to improve/prove themselves if debts are forgiven anyway?
This is just "where's mine" mentality. Their reward was that they got scholarships. The incentive for people to go above and beyond is that there is zero guarantee that this is anything more than a one time action to help spur the economy and please young voters.
As I've stated...Im not speaking of this particular 1 time action. Im speaking towards the growing demand that all student loans are forgiven.
Just Ledoux it
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:34 am
twocoach wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:14 am
sadly, this is no longer the case in much of the country
Yep, it’s become(ing) a joke.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Well, call me MICH, but in many ranking systems, our public education is 1st in the world.

We are certainly struggling recently in math and science but even with those factors, I think we are a top 15 country for public education.

Wide sweeping commentary really does our teachers justice.