Historic Student Loan Relief

Coffee talk.
Cascadia

Re: Historic Student Loan Relief

Post by Cascadia »

DrPepper wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:11 pm Join the military for college.
Sorry, no. That scam needs to die.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Fair point.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DrPepper wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:11 pm Join the military for college. Many of today’s 18-year-olds could use the maturity and discipline of some military time before first year anyway (death and depression be damned).

Isnt it biblical that the children will suffer from the wrongs of their parents? Well if your parents suck at money management, being employable, keeping all of life’s financial accidents at bay, too many kids, etc, etc, then you are just stuck in podunk town.

Sidenote, the real ideal of America (as told to me by an immigrant), Is that in America you can invent yourself. You don’t have to have the same job your daddy did. You can reinvent yourself at any age too. This is not possible in all countries.

Another sidenote: Have you been on a college campus lately and seeing the number of international students? There are fewer from China and Europe, but rich kids from other places are still coming to the US. If college is only for the rich, only the rich can go. How many major companies have Indian CEOs?
When I was getting my IT degree nearly 20 years ago, the majority of my classmates were from overseas, Africa and India primarily and then some from SE Asia, China and Europe. The vast majority of those international students (at least the ones I interacted with) seemed to have well-to-do parents who sent them to the US because they have the best college level education taught in the language of world business, English.

That doesn't make it "only" for the rich. I was scrambling to pay as I went and did just fine.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Cascadia wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:17 am
DrPepper wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:11 pm Join the military for college.
Sorry, no. That scam needs to die.
I have mixed feelings on this one as the GI Bill put both my grandmother and my mother through college after my grandfather dies during WWII. Would my Mom still be stuck in rural Illinois if the US Govt. hadn't put her Mom through college and given her the ability to be qualified enough to get a good job in Denver and move away from what was at the time a "whites only" county wholly reliant on coal mining and menial labor? Probably not.

I might be more inclined to argue for "benefits for life for you and all of your family if you serve for a while in the military" to be a "scam that needs to die" but I am OK with the govt putting a kid through school as a reward for serving our nation. We need more educated people in our nation in general. The more tools a person has to find where they can be a productive member of society, the better.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

twocoach wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:29 am When I was getting my IT degree nearly 20 years ago, the majority of my classmates were from overseas, ...... seemed to have well-to-do parents who sent them to the US.....

That doesn't make it "only" for the rich. I was scrambling to pay as I went and did just fine.
The cost of college has risen a lot faster than inflation in the last 20 years.
My point wasn't that international students are a new thing (they certainly are not). My point is not to bitch if your future leaders and doctors don't speak English perfectly since we have cut off the financial support to help fund the college education of you and your English-speaking neighbors. It is a choice we are making.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

trying to prevent lawsuits from private banks

i get it, but someone shoulda thought about that ahead of time
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i am not a fan of this particular handout. so if this means less people get the handout. i support it.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Isn't it that for the majority of people that get this so called "handout," it can just be chalked up as interest getting paid? So the ones losing are the banks that have made plenty already? The loans are literally guaranteed for the banks, the banks have sucked for decades at managing the loans, so they deserve (in my book) to take some losses. In the case of a default, the govt gives the bank 97% of the principal. For their sucky management, they get to keep collecting interest. No, if $10k cuts some banks off the teats of the little people, then good!
Last edited by DrPepper on Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:21 am i am not a fan of this particular handout. so if this means less people get the handout. i support it.
what handouts are you a fan of, exactly?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:44 am
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:21 am i am not a fan of this particular handout. so if this means less people get the handout. i support it.
The ones tucker carlson says are ok.
Wiff

Post by Wiff »

Cascadia wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:00 pm
KUTradition wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:44 am
The ones tucker carlson says are ok.
I'd venture to guess he is somehow in support of this particular handout.

Ain't no seats
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

its possible to be against both types.....just throwing that out there.
Just Ledoux it
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Typically hand outs are not a good thing
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Randy writes that and tapes it to his door on Halloween.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Good. This kind of thing should go through Congress.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Mjl wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:59 am This kind of thing should go through Congress.
This.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

The Republicans know to do just one thing: stop the government from helping people. They fought tooth and nail the providing of affordable health insurance. They are now fighting this.

Have they proposed any alternatives in terms of viable legislative proposals? Absolutely not. They rushed to give rich people and corporations tax cuts (not budget neutral!). However, they have controlled at least one chamber, sometimes both and done nothing.

The Republican Party has perfected the avoidance of doing anything useful for the people. As I’ve said before, they have zero legislative accomplishments (other than the Patriot Act and tax cuts) in the last 30 years.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

oh good lord. everybody but the dopey 20 somethings with their hand out. knew that was going nowhere.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"