CFB 2022

Kansas Football.
NewtonHawk11

Re: CFB 2022

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:12 am
HenrySwanson wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:01 am
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:54 am The problem the Corn coach will have is that simply making a bowl isn't good enough.
Absolutely. My gut feeling is that Leipold at Nowledge U would look a lot like Solich 2.0, which would be a tremendous achievement but we saw how THAT ended. The thing about Leipold's ties to Nebraska is that while he is well versed in the Children of the Corn's tradition and history, he likely also fully appreciates how impossible that fan base is. Does that temper his desire to 'go home'? Can't say.
Your last point is the one major drawback. I knew that Leipold coached under Solich at UNL, but it didn't occur to me how right you are how much Leipold would be like hiring another Solich. Therefore, I now would think Leipold is several spots down on their list. Although, I also think he is exactly what they need more than any other candidate that's been mentioned.

But, we know that home ties for a family are so strong for coaches that Bill Self took an interview with Oklahoma State after winning a natty at Kansas. And then on top of that, in this situation, between the programs, support, and conference, UNL and KU football are a lot like night and day.
I still can't believe Self actually thought about that and officially interviewed.

But home ties seem overrated in this aspect. Leipold is from fucking Jefferson, Wisconsin. Sure, his wife is from Omaha. But I think they cared more about coming back to the Midwest for cultural fit more than exact location.

Leipold wouldn't be a huge deal in the south or out west. He's a Midwest guy. Just hope that he considers Kansas a good place to remain.

And I think Nebraska is going to shoot for the fucking moon on this hire. Leipold isn't the moon.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Yeah, it's not like he's a Lincoln kid but there are obviously more ties there than to Lawrence (at this point).

Given his age, the only realistic offers I thought that would get him to leave were Wiscy and UNL.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

most here are pretty biased, but is Lincoln or Omaha a better place to live and raise a family than Lawrence?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Every NU fan that I have spoken to has greeted the name of Leipold with a resounding "ugh, no thanks". Assuming that the boosters have the same response means he isn't getting offered the job unless a lot of other things go horribly wrong.

So that's good for Kansas.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:52 am most here are pretty biased, but is Lincoln or Omaha a better place to live and raise a family than Lawrence?
Omaha, yes.

Lincoln, no , not even close.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

Nebraska might not even offer Leipold the job, but if he really turns things around at KU he'll probably be a rumored candidate for all kinds of coaching jobs in the future...so I guess we'll have to kind of just get used to this.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

InfiniteJ wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:56 am Nebraska might not even offer Leipold the job, but if he really turns things around at KU he'll probably be a rumored candidate for all kinds of coaching jobs in the future...so I guess we'll have to kind of just get used to this.
It's a good problem to have. Certainly better than "how much is this idiot's buyout and when can we fire him for incompetence" as is typically the conversation about KU coaches a few years into their tenure. ISU fans are similarly touchy about Campbell getting rumored to go to just about every open position in the sport.
Last edited by twocoach on Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

twocoach wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:52 am
KUTradition wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:52 am most here are pretty biased, but is Lincoln or Omaha a better place to live and raise a family than Lawrence?
Omaha, yes.
care to elaborate?

i’ve been to Omaha a half dozen times, and other than the zoo (and 311) didn’t ever really find it all that inviting or interesting
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

InfiniteJ wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:56 am Nebraska might not even offer Leipold the job, but if he really turns things around at KU he'll probably be a rumored candidate for all kinds of coaching jobs in the future...so I guess we'll have to kind of just get used to this.
That's the nature of the beast for the vast majority of college coaches.

We are spoiled in basketball because it's one of only a handful of jobs across all sports that you rarely have to worry about a coach leaving for "somewhere better".
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I am biased, but I would say they are roughly the same. But for my purposes and not raising a family, much prefer KC/Lawrence. KC a little more expensive and bigger than Omaha, so more things to do. I see less diversity in Omaha than KC and it's more secluded from the rest of the country than KC. Less business/jobs. Those things can be a positive or negative for some people. KC seems like Minneapolis Light. Omaha seems like KC Light. Des Moines seems like Omaha Light.

Lincoln is a little further away from Omaha than Lawrence is KC. Lincoln bigger than Lawrence. So perhaps more to offer but less college town, although it is very much a college town. Has the same seclusion issue as Omaha.

Leipold isn't' really raising a family anymore. I don't know about Omaha schools, but the private schools in KC are well respected, but a whole other topic on their own.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:57 am
Omaha, yes.
care to elaborate?

i’ve been to Omaha a half dozen times, and other than the zoo (and 311) didn’t ever really find it all that inviting or interesting
Visiting isn't the same as "living and raising a family". It's a larger city with more amenities, restaurants, shopping, etc..., it's own airport, is at a crossroads of two major interstates, has some excellent school districts, isn't in the nasty stretch of winter time freezing rain/sleet that stretches up the I35 corridor up to Des Moines so winters aren't as treacherous. It's an excellent college/amateur sports town that hosts a lot of fun sporting events. I could go on but there isn't much need. Lawrence is great but I'd personally rather be in a little bigger city than Lawrence.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:57 am
Omaha, yes.
care to elaborate?

Like most Midwest metro areas, Omaha is going through a renaissance over the last 5-10 years. Much better now than a decade ago. I'd put Omaha squarely behind other medium metros like KC and Indy, probably behind Milwaukee as well. Omaha ahead of OKC, Wichita, and Des Moines. Maybe behind Tulsa. If STL is still medium, I like Omaha, but those are hard to compare given size difference.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:06 amVisiting isn't the same as "living and raising a family". It's a larger city with more amenities, restaurants, shopping, etc..., it's own airport, is at a crossroads of two major interstates, has some excellent school districts, isn't in the nasty stretch of winter time freezing rain/sleet that stretches up the I35 corridor up to Des Moines so winters aren't as treacherous. It's an excellent college/amateur sports town that hosts a lot of fun sporting events. I could go on but there isn't much need. Lawrence is great but I'd personally rather be in a little bigger city than Lawrence.
I don't think I would/could ever live in Lawrence again but it's a hell of a good time for games and a day visit.

But, that said, live in KC and work in Lawrence seems more doable than live in Omaha and work in Lincoln.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:00 am
I am biased, but I would say they are roughly the same. But for my purposes and not raising a family, much prefer KC/Lawrence. KC a little more expensive and bigger than Omaha, so more things to do. I see less diversity in Omaha than KC and it's more secluded from the rest of the country than KC. Less business/jobs. Those things can be a positive or negative for some people. KC seems like Minneapolis Light. Omaha seems like KC Light. Des Moines seems like Omaha Light.

Lincoln is a little further away from Omaha than Lawrence is KC. Lincoln bigger than Lawrence. So perhaps more to offer but less college town, although it is very much a college town. Has the same seclusion issue as Omaha.

Leipold isn't' really raising a family anymore. I don't know about Omaha schools, but the private schools in KC are well respected, but a whole other topic on their own.
Overall, I'd rather live in KC than Omaha but the one knock on KC for me is the ridiculous spaghetti bowl of roads and highways caused by the giant river slicing it in half. Omaha couldn't be any easier to find your way around as it has a well designed grid and interstate system. There aren't may places in town that I cannot get to in 15 minutes or less.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:10 am
twocoach wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:06 amVisiting isn't the same as "living and raising a family". It's a larger city with more amenities, restaurants, shopping, etc..., it's own airport, is at a crossroads of two major interstates, has some excellent school districts, isn't in the nasty stretch of winter time freezing rain/sleet that stretches up the I35 corridor up to Des Moines so winters aren't as treacherous. It's an excellent college/amateur sports town that hosts a lot of fun sporting events. I could go on but there isn't much need. Lawrence is great but I'd personally rather be in a little bigger city than Lawrence.
I don't think I would/could ever live in Lawrence again but it's a hell of a good time for games and a day visit.

But, that said, live in KC and work in Lawrence seems more doable than live in Omaha and work in Lincoln.
The west side of Omaha, where most people live, is maybe a 30-45 minute drive to Lincoln and most of the smaller towns between the two are filling in fast as well. It feels like Johnson County, KS is farther from KC than it is from Lawrence.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

StL is getting worse by the day.

I like Indy and KC a lot. Was just in Indy to play the golf course that has a few holes inside of Indianapolis Motor Speedway. It was really cool and very nice.

Lawrence is close enough to KC to live there. So Omaha wouldn't be the deciding factor in leaving for Lincoln.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:10 am

Overall, I'd rather live in KC than Omaha but the one knock on KC for me is the ridiculous spaghetti bowl of roads and highways caused by the giant river slicing it in half. Omaha couldn't be any easier to find your way around as it has a well designed grid and interstate system. There aren't may places in town that I cannot get to in 15 minutes or less.
Sprawl is certainly one of KC's biggest weaknesses. It's led to numerous other problems. And I suspect Nebraska and Iowa in Omaha/CB get along better than Kansas and Missouri in KC.

edit: IIRC, Lincoln is also designed well. Perhaps they are newer than KC.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Oh 100%. But Leipold also lives in a sweet house in NW Lawrence. Less than 10 minutes from campus.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:12 am

The west side of Omaha, where most people live, is maybe a 30-45 minute drive to Lincoln and most of the smaller towns between the two are filling in fast as well. It feels like Johnson County, KS is farther from KC than it is from Lawrence.
Gotcha. West Omaha sounds like JoCo. I guess I usually time my drive to Lincoln from either downtown or the airport.

Pretty much all of JoCo is 15-20 minutes from downtown. Depending on where you're at in JoCo, 25-45 minutes from Mass Street.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:15 am
twocoach wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:10 am

Sprawl is certainly one of KC's biggest weaknesses. It's led to numerous other problems. And I suspect Nebraska and Iowa in Omaha/CB get along better than Kansas and Missouri in KC.
It's a level of harmless contention that is more Little Brother/Big Brother than anything. Council Bluffs is overall pretty trashy but has a few nice neighborhoods and some low level tax benefits. Think of it more like a smaller St. Joseph, MO or a bigger KC suburb like Blue Springs. It's a "big city" upgrade for rural Iowans but not anywhere that people from Omaha want to move to.