Craigslist

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Craigslist

Post by ousdahl »

I think we've discussed, but been a while.

Who does Craiglist? Any good stories as a seller or buyer?

Any horror stories?
Deleted User 863

Re: Craigslist

Post by Deleted User 863 »

You need some friends.

We don't need an individual thread for every stupid question/thought that pops into your mind on any given day.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

so I recently sold a guitar. Took a couple weeks, and had to negotiate a rendezvous a little further from my hood than ideal, but at least got the asking price in cash.

I remember some scammy responses I've had in the past - "hi, I like your item, but I am currently out of the country, so let me send a cashier's check for more than your asking price, and my Nigerian prince cousin or whatever will pick it up."

I also remember a lot of listings for something random but the photo on the listing is like "MOLLY COKE DOSES NUGGETS CALL NOW"
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Haven't since 2010.

In 2006, first week living in NYC, bought an office chair for 10 dollars that I took on the subway for 30 blocks. Had that chair for 8 years. Great chair.

On that note, we are selling a couch. 3 years old. Bought it for 600. Selling for 50.
Any takers?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I see illy replied, but without actually looking at the post I'll guess I'll guess it's something that contributes nothing to the thread and is mostly just douchey.

but, since illy's on ignore, let's play "Am I The Asshole:"

so I got a serious buyer who offered cash for my guitar this weekend. I always like to bring a friend along, as craigslist recommends. I know a friend isn't necessary, but it makes me 1000x less nervous than going into a big cash deal alone.

We agreed to meet in a public place either way - namely, the Smoking' Yards BBQ in Idaho Springs, as it was conveniently about halfway between me and the buyer in Denver. I didn't wanna have to travel, but otherwise getting my price, and come on, good BBQ is good BBQ.

I ask everyone I know to ride along as a favor, and offer to buy them lunch in return. No one is available, except for one friend who lives up here, known him since 4th grade, been roommates, we go way back, and a fellow guitar dork too.

The night before he's on the fence, so I try to sell the idea. Come on dude, it's like a two hour tops commitment, a favor for a friend, plus I'm buying you BBQ. He has no plans otherwise, so I assume he'll come through.

Next morning, I wake up to a text: "nah I don't feel like it." Come on dude, I'm nervous about this, could really use the favor, and besides you're getting BBQ. He replies, "I'd rather just smoke weed and watch football all day instead." Dude, this is a two hour tops commitment for a friend who's done lots of favors for you, and lists some of the favors, which I just did to be nice and didn't even expect BBQ in return. I tell him he can smoke all the weed he wants on the way there and back - not in my truck, but there are places to stop and smoke, and he doesn't have to drive. We'll be back by early afternoon, leaving a solid 8+ hours of football to watch, including the end of the early games.

He replies, "Jesus dude, if you actually needed help then I'd help, but I don't think you'd need help, so stop your fussing, you're being ridiculous, I'm getting high."

Sooo AITA?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:46 am You need some friends.

We don't need an individual thread for every stupid question/thought that pops into your mind on any given day.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

why would you quote a post that contributes nothing to the thread and is mostly just douchey?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i did it for you.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"let's play "Am I The Asshole:"

That is for sure a TLDR.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I guess what gets me is, the gaslight.

I didn't ask my friend for his opinion on whether I needed a favor. I asked for a favor.

For him to refuse on the grounds of, he doesn't actually think I need the favor I asked for, just seems like illy levels of douchery.

And to refuse on the grounds of, he'd rather smoke weed and watch football than let a friend buy him BBQ, just seems like mich levels of self-centered.

oh, and btw, they had Kobe beef brisket on special. Like melt in your mouth good.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

it's likely your friend did not want to be trapped in a car with you for an extended period of time.

he was just being polite.
Deleted User 863

Q is having quite the meltdown today.

Bad case of the Mondays?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I dunno what illy said

but rather than display the post I'll just hold tight and wait for mich to quote it for me.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Hey Q, if I were 1000 miles West of here, I'd love the smash some BBQ and witness a guitar deal go down. Sounds like fun.
Defense. Rebounds.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:20 pm Q is having quite the meltdown today.

Bad case of the Mondays?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Thanks 99!

You're a good dood.

Says a lot about you that you'd do such a favor for a friend who asked. I bet we'd make it a fun time doing it, and I'd be happy to treat you to some brisket.

I'd give you POTD but already afforded it to pdub's PSA in the boycott thread.
Deleted User 863

If you need a friend to help you sell a guitar then that's a problem.

If the buyer is that sketchy then I am not sure what you thinking your stoned "friend" was going to do to help the situation.

And who drives that far for a sketchy buyer? Sounds fucking stupid. Why not EBay? Same price. No gas money wasted. No need for a "friend" to ride along for several hours for a sketchy buyer.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

The funny thing is what a low burden it would be as far as favors go.

You just ride along with a friend (about 45 mins each way), shooting the shit, Dead on the stereo, checking out the mountains over the pass.

Then, just wait in the car while the guitar deal goes down.

That's it!

On the off chance the shit hits the fan, get a description of the other dood and call the cops. But that's unlikely. And besides, I'd be the one out there getting my ass kicked, you're still safe in the car.

And thankfully, shit didn't hit the fan. I asked the dood what kind of car to expect him in, and he said a white Tesla with a bike rack on the roof. That was disarming. (what kind of car WOULD be concerning?)

Then, as soon as he pulls up, he lets his two little kids out to run around. That was even more disarming. His smoking hot milf of a wife waited in the car giving me the eye. Understandable. But she quickly realized I'm just dealing in good faith too, and just wanted to flip my guitar to free up some cash for that brisket.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

if you really wanted to go above and beyond and execute the favor to its full potential, give the other guy an ocular patdown.

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

good grief. Man up, go alone and quit bitching about everything.
Just Ledoux it