Iowa State (-3.5) @ Kansas

Kansas Football.
CrimsonNBlue

Iowa State (-3.5) @ Kansas

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Back to having individual threads for the games--what a time to be alive.

Toughest test yet. Good defense. I don't feel confident on this one. Someone change my mind.
UnholyLivingDead

Re: Iowa State (-3.5) @ Kansas

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

#1 run D in the Big 12 vs. #2 run O in the Big 12

The Duke game was very encouraging because they were the best defense we've played so far and we were going to need to prove we can move the ball consistently through the air versus a team that would sell out to stop the run. KU passed that test despite the number times they shot themselves in the foot.

No doubt this is going to be a battle. I don't know a whole lot about Iowa State. There isn't much of an outcome to this game that would really surprise me at this point.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I won't bet the line. Too close and too many unknowns with opponent.

Hopeful for a win though.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Vegas predicting a 31-27 win or something close to that.

I think Hawks score 30. Just don't know enough about Iowa State offense to know what they'll do.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Iowa State will focus on containing Daniels running and will stack the box hoping to fill the gaps and blitz. They have not faced a dual threat QB yet and Jalon is in a category of his own. The passing game should be wide open.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

The "triple option" stuff we run is pretty effective. Hopefully Neal is ready for a bounce back game after getting several series off after the fumble.

Clone boards think they will score all over our defense.
UnholyLivingDead

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:17 am The "triple option" stuff we run is pretty effective. Hopefully Neal is ready for a bounce back game after getting several series off after the fumble.

Clone boards think they will score all over our defense.
Their offense hasn't been that good. Neither has our defense if we're being honest. Someone has to prevail there.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I thought our defense against Duke was in better shape than it has been most of the season. Duke's QB was really good and was responsible for a TD or two that an average QB wouldn't have been able to make.

Concerning, though, is that we weren't able to really get to the QB until a sack at the end. Some missed tackles, too. Doesn't seem like a ton of d-back depth. Safety Marvin Grant was getting absolutely trucked by Duke's RB's. Need to recruit and develop there.
UnholyLivingDead

I think the defense has gotten better every week, and obviously not counting Tennessee Tech in that. DB depth is an issue. I think the depth on the d-line and with the LBs is our greatest strength. Having a ton of bodies to rotate up there and keep guys fresh does help make up for a lack of straight-up talent. It's weird because I think we have some guys on defense that are really good individual players but the collective just isn't quite there yet.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I hope we stick it to ISU so we can watch their fans melt down. Their fan base seems to see KU as quite a step down from where ISU is right now.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Phelps is getting held a lot. I do like the hitting. ISU has thrown a lot of picks. In the past, the Clones had a real luxury of NFL quality TEs and WRs.
Not this year. Hoping we sell out the Booth and get their "Charlie from just around"respect.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

The scout seems to be that ISU has a good defense and pretty good offense. Offense is worse if you can stop their run. They are turnover prone with a QB that varies from hot to cold.

Winnable game, but the most solid squad we've seen.

Can't let Jalon get pressured and need to keep them under 5 yards per carry.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

I expect ISU (along with the rest of the Big XII from here on out) to test KU's secondary with a decent amount of deep balls. Dekker seems to take a lot of chances, though; it'll be interesting to see if the KU defense can take advantage and maybe pick him off a time-or-two...hopefully in pivotal situations.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

InfiniteJ wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:41 pmI expect ISU (along with the rest of the Big XII from here on out) to test KU's secondary with a decent amount of deep balls.
Correct, I can see this one being a shootout. If we don't stop their running game, though, not sure we will have the ball enough to pull it out.

Turnovers would be great. Also need to commit less penalties (although 2 crucial close ones that were the result of the defense staying aggressive through the end of the game).
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

My sense of the refs is that they are still in the mode of err on the side of the likely bowl team and forget KU has turned it around. Still not getting enough 50-50 calls. They blew the first TD. Blew the PF on Potter too. Blew a critical well defended pass too. Those lapses kept Duke in the game.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

Dekkers is a good QB. He has receivers + a good TE. Came thru in the clutch v. Iowa.

Their D is not shabby.

It'll be a good win if we get it.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Man they have some huge TEs. Campbell is one trick pony there. He always plays that match-up against KU.
shindig

Post by shindig »

2:30 kickoff on ESPN2, supposed to in the mid to upper 70's, perfect afternoon to get out to the stadium and pack the place again. I went last week and it was a blast, but not sure I'm going to make this game. Still debating.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:49 pm
InfiniteJ wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:41 pmI expect ISU (along with the rest of the Big XII from here on out) to test KU's secondary with a decent amount of deep balls.
Correct, I can see this one being a shootout. If we don't stop their running game, though, not sure we will have the ball enough to pull it out.

Turnovers would be great. Also need to commit less penalties (although 2 crucial close ones that were the result of the defense staying aggressive through the end of the game).
ISU is 9th in the Big 12 in rushing yards per game on offense. They haven't rushed for more than 180 yards in any game yet. Meanwhile, Kansas hasn't rushed for LESS than 200 yards in any game yet.

ISU seems to have one good running back and then a bit of a drop off while KU spreads their RB rush attempts very evenly between Neal and Hishaw. And Daniels actually has the most rush attempts on the season for KU so far.

ISU's QB is 2nd on their team in rush attempts with 29 but has gained just a total of 10 yards on those rushes, which tells me that their offensive line is allowing some pressure on their QB. Their QB also has a Big 12 leading 5 INTs so he is prone to mistakes. He has also lost a fumble on the season as has their lead RB I think if KU can get some pass rush on him that they can force him into a turnover or two.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

It's all going to come down to if Iowa State's defense is legit enough to stop Kansas. If they are, Iowa State wins. If not, Kansas could win somewhat easily.

If Kansas gets to the 30 number, good chance that they win.

Keep in mind, a thing helping Iowa State's defensive numbers is that they played Iowa's offense. I think Kansas wins 35-28.

Last week Kansas lost the turnover battle. Extended 2 Duke TD drives with penalties on 3rd or 4th down and turned the ball over on downs at the 1.

KU should have won by 20 last week.