2022/2023 NBA Season

Kansas Basketball.
twocoach

Re: 2022/2023 NBA Season

Post by twocoach »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:28 am https://twitter.com/_Talkin_NBA/status/ ... 7989112833

I have defended Kyrie on occasion. I have personally witnessed him doing good/kind things.
That being said, I'm not going to over-blow this but I am going to comment.
First off, it was not in the early or late 1990s. It was in the early 2000s. Guy should probably know when it was said.
He said that was the one post everyone chose to see. No, it was the one post he made that he knew damn well was controversial.
"What am I promoting"? This was what he was "promoting".

https://twitter.com/KyrieIrving/status/ ... 3433677829
Another famous person who thinks they have reached some sort of higher level of knowledge because they post edgy, controversial shit.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

10/31/22
The upside down?

Lakers 1-5
Nets 1-5
Warriors 3-4
76ers 3-4

Heat 2-5
Clippers 2-4
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:03 am 10/31/22
The upside down?

Lakers 1-5
Nets 1-5
Warriors 3-4
76ers 3-4

Heat 2-5
Clippers 2-4
Just shows how irrelevant the NBA regular season has become. Plenty of games to clean up a bad stretch.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

82 games....

Stephen A and the other screaming heads have to make every game seem important or they have no job.

That said I hope the Lakers lose every game.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I support minimizing games in every professional sport.

NFL schedule should be closer to 14 games: 6 division games, 4 conference games outside of division and 4 out of conference games. Limit the playoff teams to 12 teams.

NBA schedule should be closer to 43 games: 28 conference games, 15 out of conference games. Limit the playoff teams to 16 teams, shorten opening round to best of 3 games but higher seeds get all 3 games of the opening round at home.

MLB should be closer to 105 games: 60 division games, 30 conference games outside of division, 15 out of conference games. Limit the playoff teams to 10 teams.

The regular season should/would mean more with fewer games and fewer teams in the playoffs.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

43 game reglar season for NBA?

Way too short in my opinion. But I like the NBA and watch games almost every night.

Sports entertainment. People want to be entertained more than 43 times a year. How do you justify huge arenas for 21 or 22 home games a year?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Get it down to the 40-50ish range but keep the in-season tournament. That would be enough games. NBA should shave a few weeks off total from the beginning and end of the season. I don't think they do themselves any favors going up against NFL and then summer vacation.

I also watch a lot of NBA, but if you really want to see a lot of every team, it would be a full time job. There are so many games per night, but only a couple on national TV.

The Sprint Center is wildly successful and profitable and has 0 sports tenants.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Since LeBron joined LAL, he has played in: 55 games, 67 games, 45 games, and 56 games.

If so many starters and stars are taking nights off anyway, is the grueling schedule really that worth it? I've been fortunate enough to attend several NBA games. But if there were someone that saved for years to see one of their favorite players and their first NBA game, only to pay the high travel and ticket prices and then see that the stars are all getting a night off to rest, I'd feel both pissed and sad for them.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Guessing the large number of games in a pro sports league is more than anything about ticket and media sales and otherwise trying to maximize revenue.
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:05 pm Since LeBron joined LAL, he has played in: 55 games, 67 games, 45 games, and 56 games.

If so many starters and stars are taking nights off anyway, is the grueling schedule really that worth it? I've been fortunate enough to attend several NBA games. But if there were someone that saved for years to see one of their favorite players and their first NBA game, only to pay the high travel and ticket prices and then see that the stars are all getting a night off to rest, I'd feel both pissed and sad for them.
LeBron probably isn't the "best" example due to age. But I understand your point.

There is no guarantee that a shorter season will mean the Kawhi and LeBron type players will sit out at a lesser %. Although I agree in theory it should work out that way.

We can also find examples of super stars who don't rest nearly as much as a Kawhi or LeBron for "load management" purposes.

Trae Young has played 81, 60, 63, 76 games the last 4 seasons.

Jayson Tatum has played 80, 79, 66, 64, 76 games the last 4 seasons.

Nikola Jokic has played 80, 73, 75, 80, 73, 72, 74 games in the last 7 seasons.

Nba tickets are pretty cheap. I don't think enough people are saving for "years" to get upper deck tickets to a regular season game, only for the "star" they came to see to be sitting out, to warrant changing the season length for that particular reason.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I only picked LeBron because I just assume he is the biggest star that draws the highest secondary market ticket price when LAL is on the road.

Also never said that stars sitting out is the reason to shorten the season. It's just a response to your notion that fans are getting this big entertainment spectacle every night from every game. If the stars are missing 10/15/20% of the season, where's the harm in shortening the season by 10/15/20%?

I'm also not going to shrug off an upper deck seat for LeBron, which gets to be $100 really quick w/ fees, as pretty cheap.
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:09 pm I'm also not going to shrug off an upper deck seat for LeBron, which gets to be $100 really quick w/ fees, as pretty cheap.
Friday nights Memphis Grizzlies home game has tickets starting less than $15.

Sundays Lakers home game has tickets starting at less than $60.

It's pretty cheap to get in a regular season NBA game at the vast majority of arenas. Lakers and Knicks type teams are obviously more pricey due to their markets and followings.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

You came up with examples to prove your point. I'm not sure if you included fees. Yes? No?
Now go ahead and tell us what upper deck tickets are for the Celtics at the Warriors on December 10th.
Or the Warriors at the Lakers on February 23rd.
Or......
I feel it's not "pretty cheap" to get in to an NBA game. We aren't including parking and food either.
Let's not forget if you want to take your family members you have to pay for their tickets.
Let's not forget the average American doesn't make as much money as you probably think they do.

As someone who paid a lot of money to sit behind the Lakers bench to see Kobe play in his last season, I was extremely disappointed when not only did he not play, he wasn't even sitting on the Laker's bench.
Sure it was a risk I took in buying the ticket not knowing 100% if he would be playing or not, but I can understand someone's disappointment if they save up money to attend a game to see a superstar play and that superstar takes the night off "to rest".
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Deleted User 863

I understand people being disappointed when players they want to see play are unable to play due to load management or injury.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

43 games per team, you'd still be able to watch the NBA every night - the games would just mean more.
And absolutely stars wouldn't take rest days as every game would matter much more and there'd be built in days, with fewer games, for them to rest anyways.

This is what I think would make the league more watchable during the regular season.
I used to watch a decent amount of NBA ( mostly Celtics, not this season so far ) - but it's obvious players half ass plays/stretches of time.

Of course, wouldn't happen, number one reason being $$. Another reason would be players complaining that they couldn't catch previous players in meaningful stats without more games.
Deleted User 863

I don't think the NBA needs to shorten the season so that the BWW Chads feel like the games mean more. Most teams/players, especially the good ones, play hard night in and night out. Lots of close games most nights.

Tonights spreads:
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

You're confusing a couple of things ( which is not unexpected ).

1. This actually is against what the BWW Chad's stand for. The BWW Chad's want MORE games. They want expanded playoffs.

2. Early close spreads are not direct correlations with players taking it easy. If both teams aren't playing to their full potential/max effort, which is the case, then evenly matched teams will still be evenly matched teams. You compare a random game in November and then pit those two teams together in the playoffs, anyone, maybe sans BWW Chad, can see the significant difference in effort.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Nash. Done. In my worthless opinion they gave him 7 games too many to coach.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Nash was not good, but he wasn't the main cause of that dumpster fire and he has to be glad to be out of there.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Christ. The Nets hiring Ime Udoka whom may or may not be wrapped up in legal matters for the next couple of years.