TCU (-6.5) @ Kansas

Kansas Football.
CrimsonNBlue

TCU (-6.5) @ Kansas

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Preseason, I felt this might be the most winnable conference game. Nope.

Can’t go conservative in this one.
Last edited by CrimsonNBlue on Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
holidaysmore

Re: TCU (-4.5) @ Kansas

Post by holidaysmore »

Unleash Daniels. Stop with the conservative shit. Trust in your best player to make plays.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I got Kansas a week ago at +5.5.

Kotelnicki has to be a lot better Saturday.

The crowd needs to be better too. Duke was loud. Iowa State game was fine. Need everyone to be legit rabid out there. Lol
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Leipold defended the conservative 2nd half by saying it was the strategy to win. Idk, we caught a ton of breaks.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Not often has a Kansas presser sounded like a loss. That was the vibe yesterday. Which is good for the program.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Go KU but this is where picking the Hawks line stops for me.

Gimmie 2.5 more points and I’m in.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

I think KU can definitely score on TCU, just not sure if the defense can get enough stops to win. At some point the defense is going to be the reason KU loses some games.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

InfiniteJ wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:47 pm I think KU can definitely score on TCU, just not sure if the defense can get enough stops to win. At some point the defense is going to be the reason KU loses some games.
Holidaysmore - 2005
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

holidaysmore wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:01 pm
InfiniteJ wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:47 pm I think KU can definitely score on TCU, just not sure if the defense can get enough stops to win. At some point the defense is going to be the reason KU loses some games.
If the play calling is as vanilla soft as it was last week it won’t matter what the defense does.

You have to let Daniels do his thing. Open the playbook up and get aggressive. If ISU had anything that resembled a FG kicker they would have won that game.

I hope Leipold learned a very valuable lesson to let your best player do his thing.
Holidaysmore - 2005
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Gonna be a shootout. What's the O/U?
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

holidaysmore wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:08 pm
If the play calling is as vanilla soft as it was last week it won’t matter what the defense does.

You have to let Daniels do his thing. Open the playbook up and get aggressive. If ISU had anything that resembled a FG kicker they would have won that game.

I hope Leipold learned a very valuable lesson to let your best player do his thing.
In this thread, holiday tells the man to get the worst p5 program to 5-0 how to coach.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Lol.

But yeah, holiday’s and your points about conservative plays and catching breaks still stands.

That second half it hardly felt like KU was gonna win, until we did.

If we can count on having a 6 point lead at half and doing nothing more in the 2nd half than holding the opponent to a field goal, great.

But otherwise, might have to get more ambitious than what I think you described in the game thread as “just hope for a 3rd and 5ish”
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Running into a run box. Silly. But Leipold feared interceptions. And got Hishaw killed.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

PhDhawk wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:37 pm Gonna be a shootout. What's the O/U?

Think that’s the 3rd highest of the weekend.

RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Iowa State - Kansas over/under was 59.
The total amount of points scored was less than half of that. Right?
Just sayin'. ;)
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:46 am
Iowa State - Kansas over/under was 59.
The total amount of points scored was less than half of that. Right?
Just sayin'. ;)
I would've taken the under.

Iowa State has a good defense and lousy offense. I wouldn't have predicted 25 points total, but I would have definitely taken the under.

TCU has an explosive scoring offense, #1 in the conference (KU is 3rd). ISU is 10th outta 10

TCU is 5th in scoring defense (KU is 7th). ISU is #1.

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:59 pm
holidaysmore wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:08 pm

In this thread, holiday tells the man to get the worst p5 program to 5-0 how to coach.
You will remember that Newton and I offered to take this job on the cheap. Just saying.

I offer constructive criticism and my points are valid. Since the second half of the Duke game and all of ISU the offense has gone from race to standstill. Much of that has to do with the over reliance on the zone read concepts. That stuff only works if the QB pulls to keep the edges honest.

We just have not seen the creativity we saw earlier in the year and with the remainder of the schedule KU cannot rely on defensive stops and other teams special teams units being complete garbage to bail out poor or conservative play calling.
Holidaysmore - 2005
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I don't think it's fair to say the play-calling has been conservative. I think it for sure has been in a few situations. I didn't think it was in the first half. I think it was conservative later in the game, which is by design (whether we agree or disagree with the philosophy). It's clear to me that Liepold places a large value on forcing the opponent to use up TOs when his team has a lead. I'd like to see him put more emphasis on getting a first down...but if you're averaging 7 ypa or whatever...maybe you assume you can get first downs on the ground.

He hasn't been conservative with going for it on 4th downs either...again, except for late game situations with the lead. Seems like he's gone against the metrics a couple times in those spots, but it hasn't cost us yet.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Just joking around, holidays.

Yeah I think the play calling in first half of ISU was great. Lots of movement and action. We would have scored a 3rd TD if not for a ticky tack hold call on Bean’s long run.

And then in the 2nd half, too conservative for my taste, but Daniel’s did miss a wide open shot down the field that would have been an easy TD.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: TCU (-7) @ Kansas

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

This is trending in the wrong direction, now up to -7 TCU in most places.

(also, it sure is hard to nail down an "official spread" now that the internet betting sites are taking over)