TCU (-6.5) @ Kansas

Kansas Football.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: TCU (-6.5) @ Kansas

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Hovering around that 1 TD spread.

Not sure I'd feel good about either side of this. Maybe the KU ML with the idea of hedging at half or the end of the 3rd.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I expect this game to be one where the entire playbook is available. Huge game. Maybe not the worst thing to be coming out of an outlier low offensive output game. And ISU might have the best D in the league.

Coach K:

We talked to Jalon earlier about what he saw and looking over that film and he was pretty critical of himself today and also on Saturday.

Well, I appreciate that he is critical of himself, and I think that if you ask a lot of our players and our coaches, I think we would all be critical of wanting to be better, which is good. And that's kind of what you want in your guys and when you can, like you said, we've been at games where we didn't punt this year and we had the same approach, said: ‘Hey, we're what have we got to do better? What are we going to improve on?’

And so it's more about staying out of, maybe some predictable situations that occurred. What do we do in executing on first and second down? How, what do we need to get better at? Where do we make mistakes? And those are things that happen after every week. But I think when you have a little hiccup like that on one side of the ball, sometimes you can be a little bit rude, awakening, you know what I mean?

What were some of the things that led to being in second and third and long?

Well probably some errors, you know what I mean? Things that back you up. We had to make some more second and long, first and long calls that we had all year long. You have that and then you look at the number of possessions that were actually in that game and all those things are compounded. When you play a low possession game, mistakes and things that you're doing well, like explosive plays are magnified greatly. And so that was a pretty low possession game. And we've had that the last couple of weeks and that's okay. That's the way it is. But so, when you make a mistake, it was magnified, whatever the mistake might be. It could be a penalty, could be an error, and a blocking assignment could be an errand pass, could be a bad play call. Whatever it is that becomes magnified because you're only going to get nine first downs in the game to be able to call a play. So you better make them count.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kdj4QgWV1I&t=5s
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

There was an egregious holding penalty on the first drive that seemed to be intended to change the momentum. It did. There were numerous reviews of reviews too. Bad crew had a lot to do with the game flow.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

GameDay, national TV audience…let Daniels cook! Get him back in the Heisman race.

Feels like a game whoever has the ball last will win. I want to see KU be super aggressive in this game. None of that conservative stuff they’ve played the last couple of weeks.

If KU can get a couple of stops, a couple of breaks go their way I believe they will win.
Holidaysmore - 2005
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

play to win

don’t play to not loose
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... all-picks/

The game of the week
No. 17 TCU (-7) at No. 19 Kansas, noon, Fox Sports 1

With their first 5-0 start and first national ranking since 2009, the Jayhawks have been one of the fun stories of the season, and ESPN’s “College GameDay” will be making its first trip to Lawrence for Saturday’s game against the Horned Frogs. Sadly, they’re about to hit a speed bump.

Kansas was lucky to reach this rarefied air. In this past weekend’s 14-11 win over Iowa State, the Jayhawks simply could not get the Cyclones off the field. And were it not for some poor kicking on Iowa State’s part, this game against TCU probably would be taking on far less meaning. The Cyclones had drives of 14, 12 and eight plays end with a missed field goal, including an errant 37-yarder with 32 seconds left that would have tied the score. Iowa State converted on 4 of 5 fourth-down attempts, and Kansas’s opponents have a success rate of 43.96 percent on third and fourth down, which ranks 102nd in the country (TCU’s offense, meanwhile, ranks 13th in that category).

The Horned Frogs couldn’t convert either fourth-down attempt this past weekend against Oklahoma, but it didn’t matter: TCU clobbered the Sooners, 55-24, a score that could have been worse had the Horned Frogs not eased off the throttle in the second half. TCU features four offensive players who average at least 6.5 yards per carry, and three of them — running backs Kendre Miller and Emari Demercado and quarterback Max Duggan — combined to average a gaudy 15 yards per carry and score five times against the Sooners.

When he wasn’t rushing for 116 yards against the Sooners, Duggan somehow found the time to complete 22 of 32 passes for 3o2 yards and three scores, so it’s not as if TCU is lacking balance. Kansas’s defense ranks 96th nationally in passing success rate, and while its offense has been able to put points on the board, I’m not sure that’s going to be enough against a TCU defense that ranks seventh in overall success rate. Give me the Horned Frogs.
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

per USAToday, Kansas has a chance to be the first bowl-eligible team in the country due to Saturday’s schedule

also, Leipold gets a $100K bonus per bowl appearance
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

A win this weekend would be pretty incredible. TCU seems to be the best team we have played so far this season but I don't know how much we really know about them after a win against the worst P5 team in the nation (Colorado), a win over a meh FCS team (Tarleton), a win over an SMU team that has lost to every decent team they have played and a win over an Oklahoma team that seems to be in free fall. We'll see if TCU is for real over their next 3 game stretch of @Kansas, vs Okie State and vs. KSU.

Hopefully the Kansas defense can build on last week and continue to improve as they will have their hands full this week. I also hope we see KU's offense get back to rolling downhill. Stinks to be without Hishaw but hopefully his replacement is healthy and ready to go.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

No. 17 TCU Horned Frogs at No. 19 Kansas Jayhawks (Saturday, noon ET, FS1)

TCU was picked to finish seventh in the Big 12 preseason media poll; Kansas was picked to finish 10th. So it makes perfect sense that both teams are undefeated headed into their matchup Saturday -- with College GameDay headed to Lawrence, Kansas, for the first time.
It is stories like this that remind us all why we love college football so much.

"There's probably a moment you've got to pinch yourself a little bit," Kansas coach Lance Leipold said at his weekly news conference. "It says something about TCU as well -- to get this type of matchup is probably surprising to a lot of people around the country, but it should be a great game."

This is the first top-20 matchup in Lawrence since Oct. 25, 2008, when No. 19 Kansas hosted No. 8 Texas Tech. Kansas is 5-0 for the first time since 2009; meanwhile, Sonny Dykes is the first coach to win his first four games at TCU since Francis Schmidt in 1929.

Kansas receiver Luke Grimm described the atmosphere throughout the week in Lawrence as one that has "a lot of hype behind it." He has about 30 friends and family members making the drive to the game from Raymore, Missouri.

"A lot of people are getting on board the KU football train," he told ESPN.com in a phone interview. "It feels really good to be the change that is happening right now and putting a footprint in KU football history. We all believed we could do it, and the fact that we are right now is really fun to see."

This game pits two of the best offenses in the country. TCU, off its 55-24 upset over Oklahoma last week, averages 549.5 yards per game, No. 2 in the nation, behind quarterback Max Duggan. On the other side, quarterback Jalon Daniels has the Jayhawks averaging 41.6 points per game -- No. 12 in the nation. The quarterback matchup is one of the most intriguing in the game.

But so is the fact both these schools are undefeated right now, when not many gave them a chance to be in this spot.

"It's nice to have a packed stadium, and a lot of noise whenever you make a play or one of your brothers makes a play, and you see them light up with joy when you hear those screams and yells for you," Grimm said. "It's nice to show we're building a great football team here." -- Andrea Adelson

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... atform=amp
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

This game is like the Duke game really. Duke might have been better defensively. Kansas usually plays TCU very tough at home anyway. The Washington Post Story is another one of those lazy articles where they haven't watched KU. The warning I have for Borland is to watch out for dump passes. Anytime you see a QB with a completion rate like that, jump the flat passing lanes, because they are using tempo to throw short to open guys from the backfield or stacked wide.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

TCU played out of their minds last week, KU the complete opposite...it'll be interesting to see if the roles get flipped on Saturday.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"No. 17 TCU at No. 19 Kansas (noon ET, FS1)

The only way you could have convinced me that TCU-Kansas would be a battle of unbeatens this year is if the game had been moved to Week 0. TCU went 5-7 last season thanks to a suddenly dreadful defense, and legendary head coach Gary Patterson was sent packing. Kansas, meanwhile, is Kansas, winner of 1.9 games per year since 2010. The Jayhawks went 5-28 from 2019 to 2021 and are 5-0 this season...

...This game should be an absolute delight for lovers of creative and aggressive offense. And if Kansas is still unbeaten come Sunday, it will likely be because of two factors.

First, TCU's biggest (only?) offensive vulnerability springs from its biggest strength: Duggan looks downfield for big plays but takes some sacks because of it -- the Frogs rank 94th in sack rate allowed on passing downs (second-and-8 or more, third- or fourth-and-5 or more). Thanks primarily to Miami (Ohio) transfer Lonnie Phelps' five sacks, KU ranks 35th in passing downs sack rate. There's an opportunity here, but only if Kansas can force the occasional passing down.

The second factor: red zone offense. Kansas thrives there with Daniels' mobility and coordinator Andy Kotelnicki's extreme misdirection and creativity, while TCU's defense ranks 108th in red zone touchdown rate allowed (73%) and has given up touchdowns in every goal-to-go situation it has faced. TCU is favored for a reason, but if the Jayhawks can avoid field goals and sack Duggan a few times, they'll have a chance to keep this Cinderella story going...."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/i ... ames-watch
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

DB's better be ready to get tested early and often.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Keep everything in front of you. Make Duggan go on long drives. Limit the explosive plays. Ends and backers are going to have to read their keys and know their assignments when Duggan runs.

I like Craig Young to have a big game. Seems like he was built for a game like this.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Wiff

Post by Wiff »

KU - 38
TCU - 10
Ain't no seats
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

holidaysmore wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:04 am Keep everything in front of you. Make Duggan go on long drives. Limit the explosive plays. Ends and backers are going to have to read their keys and know their assignments when Duggan runs.

I like Craig Young to have a big game. Seems like he was built for a game like this.
This.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Guest picker is Riggle.

Nothing wrong with Riggle at all, funny, and really pimps KU.

But, was hoping we'd land the big shot and get the Ted Lasso character to do it.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Lasso coached Wichita State.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:43 pm Guest picker is Riggle.

Nothing wrong with Riggle at all, funny, and really pimps KU.

But, was hoping we'd land the big shot and get the Ted Lasso character to do it.
Currently filming in London. He was at the USWNT and England game at Wembley today and was at the Vikings/Saints game last Sunday.

Heard that Rudd doesn't like doing stuff with KU as he was expelled from there a while back.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:34 am per USAToday, Kansas has a chance to be the first bowl-eligible team in the country due to Saturday’s schedule

also, Leipold gets a $100K bonus per bowl appearance
Yes, if Michigan loses their game against Indiana (11:00am CT) and Kansas wins their game against TCU (11:00am CT) then Kansas would be the first bowl eligible team - OR if Kansas wins and Michigan wins and the Kansas game ends earlier.

Unfortunately I am reminded of 2009 when we were 5-0 and then had 7 chances to become bowl eligible and we blew all 7 of them.

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.