Post by pdub »

Seven points given.
4 point game so far.
Subjective catch on third down.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Refs

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:11 pm Seven points given.
4 point game so far.
Subjective catch on third down.
That last one bothered me. If the ball had been moving around like that on a catch in the middle of the field, and was dislodged by a hit, the refs would have called incomplete (not fumble). Same principle - the guy didn’t have possession until he was out of bounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Bump.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Is it incompetence, gambling or scripted? Sad to hope they are just terrible
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think likely 1 - meaning just a fear of making that big call at the end.

I wouldn’t put it past 2 as it’s happened before in pro sports.

3 is too Sparko.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I agree. But other sports have done it. We are looking at a reality series entertainment. The blown late calls did impact the spread. Not just a Chiefs problem. Fans everywhere are screaming.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

They need to grade officials and make the scores public. You’d be able to see the plays in which they’d ( maybe more points off if that play was their assignment ) made clear mistakes.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The Vikings fans took some body blows last night too again. The pack is now tied with them.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Did it again.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The NFL is pretty flawed. I can think of 30 or so controversial endings that screwed important games away. And so can any other fan. Last week it was "you have to let them play" virtue signalling. This week it was "They had to call a trivial penalty because penalty." Cannot believe we waste our time on a game decided by rules crap that would cause your brother to kick your ass in the back yard. Sigh
lwh69ku

Post by lwh69ku »

I think to get it fixed in the future, video officials have to be full-fledged referees and make calls - whether that’s signaling for a penalty or waiving one off - every down in real time.

Obviously you don’t want to add more delays, but the current system is just stupid for several reasons. (1) Some things can be changed after review and others can’t, even though the TV broadcast can queue up a replay to show an error before the next play starts. (2) Some things the coach has to use one of his challenges and some things are automatically checked. No, just check anything that’s close. (3) Deference to the call on the field. No, make the best call with the available evidence. But the judgment of a 60 year old man 30 yards away shouldn’t be treated as right unless proven otherwise. (4) Penalties should be called or picked up based on replay. It’s ridiculous you can see a blatant hold or interference on the replay but it’s “unreviewable”.

Finally, forget letting the head official make the final call. The idea of bringing an iPad on a stick out on the field and bringing the whole game to a halt for at least a minute is stupid. Let a video official figure it out and make the call.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

This is what I’m talking about with inconsistency.

Right after the Toney call:

https://twitter.com/JordanTribe/status/ ... 1650486569
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Mahomes is as tired of it as we are.

https://twitter.com/NFLonCBS/status/173 ... r=NFLonCBS
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Predictably, the last two tweets are removed. Because this is the best of all possible sports. I did see their comments. The crankiness of Chief's fans comes from decades of controversial calls. There are some youngsters on here who haven't experienced the many games like this one. Ben Davidson roughing Dawson after picking up a crucial first down in field goal range overturned by consecutive personal foul penalties. That kind of thing.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I am annoyed by the patronizing takes this morning, that rely on a shitty assumption that Chiefs fans are somehow not capable of (1) absolutely knowing the primary factor in the loss was shitty WRs, (2) fully acknowledging that Toney was obviously offsides, AND ALSO (3) justifiably complaining about the Toney offsides (especially given the no-calls about BUF’s RG’s punches, no customary warning and of course BUF’s no-call offsides on the very next play).

The purpose of The Rules is to create a level playing field for competition. The Rules are not (1) first, what’s written down, and then (2) second, how what’s written down is applied in practice. 1 and 2 are, together, inextricably, The Rules.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

We were borderline villains before and now it's locked in.
I have little doubt if this were, I dunno, the up and coming Dolphins playing us, and Tyreek was called for offsides on a game winner, the narrative would be overwhelmingly 'refs just want the Chiefs to win'.

It's the same deal as last week -- you can play like shit and make mistakes AND get jobbed over by officiating. It happened again.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It makes me wary about the next game @ the Pats.
What is going to happen this time?
My guess it'll be something like Zappe fumbles the ball and we return it for a TD but they rule the play dead before the ball came lose.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:59 am We were borderline villains before and now it's locked in.
I have little doubt if this were, I dunno, the up and coming Dolphins playing us, and Tyreek was called for offsides on a game winner, the narrative would be overwhelmingly 'refs just want the Chiefs to win'.

It's the same deal as last week -- you can play like shit and make mistakes AND get jobbed over by officiating. It happened again.
If the Bills' RG was flagged for a false start, on a play that could decide the game, for his punch move...then the Bills would have a legit beef for that call.

Pat blew up at lots of things.

His own poor (for him) play this year. His WRs' atrocious (for high school WRs) play this year. This ticky-tack call on top of last week's egregious no-call (and the no-call that followed the offsides call, that was egregious in light of the ticky-tack call).