Refs

Kansas Football.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Refs

Post by pdub »

twocoach wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:31 pm Losers whine about the refs.
Meh.
I consider refs like coaches or players.
If a player fucks up and someone complains on these boreds or a coach makes a bad call and the same, are they losers?

You can call out officials mistakes.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:17 pm
twocoach wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:31 pm Losers whine about the refs.
Meh.
I consider refs like coaches or players.
If a player fucks up and someone complains on these boreds or a coach makes a bad call and the same, are they losers?

You can call out officials mistakes.
The accuracy rate of ref complaints is notoriously less accurate after a tough loss. Some people see what they want to see.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Legit bad calls are fair game to complain about. Like saying Dajuan shoulda taken the layup.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

pdub wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:14 pm Legit bad calls are fair game to complain about. Like saying Dajuan shoulda taken the layup.
"Legit bad calls?" Sure.

I don't agree with your premise, but even if I did think it was the same, Dajuan et al only make several obvious mistakes a game, while refs making calls is a constant. And while I get and suffer from homerism too, characterizing nearly every call that goes against us as wrong, with a patina of the refs, the league, et al are against us, because...we're us, is
B2L wrote:...tiresome...
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Refs make routine calls or non calls every game. That’s like Dajuan dribbling it for a sequence. It’s the major fuckups that are the issue.

Yesterday I’d say the worst was the missed hold on the Flowers bomb.

The refs aren’t against us…but they have been particularly awful in our games this season.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

pdub wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:14 pm Legit bad calls are fair game to complain about. Like saying Dajuan shoulda taken the layup.
Yes, I 100% agree.
What is apparent (whether you and others realize/admit it or not) is that no one complains and/or very few even point out when the refs make bad calls (or non calls) that go in the Chiefs' (or Jayhawks') favor on here.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

“ We got away with likely DPI on the INT in the endzone.”

“ V the Dolphins:
That was one weak sauce roughing the passer.”

“ Yup.
Totally.
TCU can bitch away and I’d agree with em.”
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

You could tell by the announcers that Baltimore spent the week talking crap about how they were going to beat up on Mahomes when they got the chance and be physical everywhere. They were. And it cost them.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:21 am
Yes, I 100% agree.
What is apparent (whether you and others realize/admit it or not) is that no one complains and/or very few even point out when the refs make bad calls (or non calls) that go in the Chiefs' (or Jayhawks') favor on here.
Every fan base has a percentage of these people. They scream the loudest about bad calls, are the most convinced that 50/50 calls were 90/10 and don't usually acknowledge bad calls that benefitted their team. Twitter is full of Ravens fans whining about the refs just like last week with Bills fans, the week before with Dolphins fans, and several weeks ago with Chiefs fans.

Every sport, every level. After every close or meaningful game, some fans who cheers for the losing team will whine about a selected few calls/no calls made by the refs while ignoring several other examples that do not support their narrative that the (fill in the big, mean overlord organization here) is rigging the games against them or for their opponent.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Sparko wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:14 am You could tell by the announcers that Baltimore spent the week talking crap about how they were going to beat up on Mahomes when they got the chance and be physical everywhere. They were. And it cost them.
The Ravens planned to be the bullies but were unprepared for the Chiefs bullying them even more. Once they lost their composure, it was over.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:06 pm
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:21 am
Yes, I 100% agree.
Every fan base has a percentage of these people. They scream the loudest about bad calls, are the most convinced that 50/50 calls were 90/10 and don't usually acknowledge bad calls that benefitted their team. Twitter is full of Ravens fans whining about the refs just like last week with Bills fans, the week before with Dolphins fans, and several weeks ago with Chiefs fans.

Every sport, every level. After every close or meaningful game, some fans who cheers for the losing team will whine about a selected few calls/no calls made by the refs while ignoring several other examples that do not support their narrative that the (fill in the big, mean overlord organization here) is rigging the games against them or for their opponent.
I'm torn.

On one hand, I don't like "every call goes against my team" homers.

But nor do I much like message board lifeguards telling fans to WALK OR I'LL TELL YOUR MOTHER, DAMN IT.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I've played a lot of sports in my life and I honestly never remember (as a player) feeling like we lost a game because of the refs.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

From what I recall, you played a lot of soccer.
You've never been in a 1-0 game where the goal was off a very questionable penalty kick?
Or lost a close one after one of your players was sent off for a red that might not have even been a yellow?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:38 pm From what I recall, you played a lot of soccer.
You've never been in a 1-0 game where the goal was off a very questionable penalty kick?
Or lost a close one after one of your players was sent off for a red that might not have even been a yellow?
Soccer and basketball mostly....and No, not that I remember. I am sure I felt like there were bad calls, but I never remember feeling like we lost because of the refs.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I was in a Lawrence club soccer title game where we lost 1-0 after an official, nowhere near able to make a judgement from that angle and distance, called offsides on a cross from midfield that led to a tying header. Players on the other team even admitted it wasn't offsides with sorry shrugs.

I also was an official myself for a fraternity game where I made a similar call except I was the only ref for that game - from what I saw, in a scrum, a ball had crossed the line and the goalie hit the ball out after the fact - so I called it a goal...but even then I wasn't sure, so I probably shouldn't have blown the whistle. I had a water cooler thrown at me.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i haven't met a soccer mom or dad yet, that couldn't spot an offsides from 200 feet away. it's a superpower.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:36 pm I've played a lot of sports in my life and I honestly never remember (as a player) feeling like we lost a game because of the refs.
Most pro games are long enough that the refs fuck up in favor of each team at some point. Occasionally the fuck up happens near the end of the game and feels more impactful towards the end result. Occasionally the fuck ups favor one team more than the other. Sometimes there are even a ton of fucks ups. NFL players fuck up a small but non-zero percent so it's not unrealistic to expect NFL refs to fuck up at a similar rate.

We just have more cameras, more replays, more social media to point it out and to give a megaphone to the loudest complainers so we here about it more and more games on platforms such as youtube where people can scroll back through game footage and edit clips/screen captures to deliver the message they want delivered.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:11 pm i haven't met a soccer mom or dad yet, that couldn't spot an offsides from 200 feet away. it's a superpower.
Meanwhile none of them can read what's printed on their phone without glasses.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"Occasionally the fuck ups favor one team more than the other."

And then fans of said team are angry and complain where they gather ( in their living room, at the actual game, at a bar, on twitter, wherever ).
This includes message boreds for said teams.
It's OK when the officials fuck up and favor the other team that we bitch about it here.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »