Refs

Kansas Football.
DeletedUser

Re: Refs

Post by DeletedUser »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:34 pm
pdub wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:36 pm And again, let's change that rule.
It's so dumb.

If I fumble on the 3 yard line to the .5 yard line, I get the ball at the .5 yard line.
I understand fumbling into the endzone is unique but it shouldn't be bizarro world rules.
Just make it simple - if the ball is fumbled out of the endzone then spot it at the point of the fumble.
I agree with the theory behind the rule. I don't think offensive players should be rewarded for being loose with the ball.

But nor does the reward (for the defense) presently make sense.

I would be ok with a loss of down and placing the ball at the 5 or something (if already goal-to-go), or 1st down on the 10 (if not already goal-to-go).
I would be fine with still giving it to the defense but giving it to them at the 5 instead of the 20.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:35 pm
pdub wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:36 pm And again, let's change that rule.
It's so dumb.

If I fumble on the 3 yard line to the .5 yard line, I get the ball at the .5 yard line.
I understand fumbling into the endzone is unique but it shouldn't be bizarro world rules.
Just make it simple - if the ball is fumbled out of the endzone then spot it at the point of the fumble.
I agree with the theory behind the rule. I don't think offensive players should be rewarded for being loose with the ball.

I would be ok with a loss of down and placing the ball at the 5 or something (if already goal-to-go), or 1st down on the 10 (if not already goal-to-go).
I would be fine with still giving it to the defense but giving it to them at the 5 instead of the 20.
No issue on my end - although I suppose it opens up some gamesmanship; if you're up 1 with 0:20 to go, do you score a TD? Or fumble it out of bounds?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Just make it consistent then.
Five yard penalty.

Again, a fumble that isn't recovered all over the field isn't rewarding anyone really - the defense caused the fumble but didn't recover it in time - and you don't gain any extra yards, unless you recover, from where the fumble occurs.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Why are we giving it to the defense?
They didn't recover the football.
If I fumble it out of bounds on the 1 yard line how is that this much different to where you loose an entire set of downs?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:38 pm

No issue on my end - although I suppose it opens up some gamesmanship; if you're up 1 with 0:20 to go, do you score a TD? Or fumble it out of bounds?
You take a knee?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:40 pm
jfish26 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:38 pm

You take a knee?
LOL

I was confused by that scenario too.

Score a TD (or kick a FG) would be my answer if taking a knee isn't an option.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I like a standard 5 or 10 yard penalty from where the ball was fumbled.
I fumble it on 1st and goal from the 10 on the 4 yard line ( and it somehow goes out of bounds in the endzone ), it's now 2nd and goal on the 14 yard line.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

A team on fourth down who fumbles thru the endzone would lose possession at the spot of the fumble. The defense is rewarded with a touchback only when they physically recover the ball. The Bills did not deserve to be "rewarded" for blindly hacking the ball OOB. Recover it for a rewarded possession. Otherwise spot of fumble. Maybe bring back the forward lateral penalty otherwise
Last edited by Sparko on Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

So a 5yd penalty from where the fumble occurs?

Seems even more confusing than the current rule if we are trying to keep it simple.

But, I like the current rule. I think the defense should be rewarded for causing the offense to fumble it out of the endzone. I also think offensive players should protect the ball and not reach for the goal line like Hardman did. It was a stupid play.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

How is that difficult?
LOL.

If someone fumbles it out of bounds now ( no team recovers ) the offense gets the ball at the point of the fumble.

Add a 5 yard ( or 10 - whatever it is, just consistent ) penalty to that.

And in the case of defenses, should the defense be rewarded for a fumble that isn't recovered anywhere else on the field?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The current rule below just needs to take out the end zone weirdness:

A fumble that goes forward and out of bounds will return to the fumbling team at the spot of the fumble unless the ball goes out of bounds in the opponent s end zone.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

pdub wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:56 pm How is that difficult?
LOL.

If someone fumbles it out of bounds now ( no team recovers ) the offense gets the ball at the point of the fumble.

Add a 5 yard ( or 10 - whatever it is, just consistent ) penalty to that.

And in the case of defenses, should the defense be rewarded for a fumble that isn't recovered anywhere else on the field?
Exactly
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

While discussing the scenarios, I do think there should be some sort of extra penalty.
I actually don't think 5 yards is enough - i'd say 10.

But certainly not entirely take away an offensive possession if the defense doesn't recover.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I should note that Andrew Luck recovering a fumble would be down and not a live runner. Offenses advancing fumbles should not he a thing. Like OU a few years ago.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

pdub wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:00 pm While discussing the scenarios, I do think there should be some sort of extra penalty.
I actually don't think 5 yards is enough - i'd say 10.

But certainly not entirely take away an offensive possession if the defense doesn't recover.
Technically it is an illegal forward pass or lateral anyway.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Sparko wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:02 pm I should note that Andrew Luck recovering a fumble would be down and not a live runner. Offenses advancing fumbles should not he a thing. Like OU a few years ago.
I don't agree with that.
It was terrible to watch and just so so Chiefs pre-Mahomes but that circumstance, you should be able to run with it if not down.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

No penalty needed. They aren't breaking a rule so that doesn't make sense. If they fumble forward and no one recovers before ot goes out of bounds then they get the ball at the spot of the fumble. Done.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Sparko wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:02 pm I should note that Andrew Luck recovering a fumble would be down and not a live runner. Offenses advancing fumbles should not he a thing. Like OU a few years ago.
If the fumble goes backwards then I am OK with it being advanced.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Illegal touching IMHO. Like catching your own batted pass. Down on completion. These are squirrely plays that are just as bad as throwing to linemen. Rare occurrences, but fumbling forward/offense advancing fumbles was something supposedly taken out of the game. Mariota could have injured himself. If God had been watching.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

twocoach wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:07 pm No penalty needed. They aren't breaking a rule so that doesn't make sense. If they fumble forward and no one recovers before ot goes out of bounds then they get the ball at the spot of the fumble. Done.
Yea, there's just something about the defense locking in at the goal line where they should be rewarded just a bit. I see that angle.

But a full takeover - silly.