YouTube TV

Coffee talk.
twocoach

YouTube TV

Post by twocoach »

Does anyone here have YouTube TV? Do you like/dislike it? It seems to have all the channels we need at a fraction of the cost of what we currently pay. We're moving soon and I am not going to use our current traditional cable tv provider at the new house. I also have ESPN+/Disney+ and will probably get Hulu+ added to that bundle to expand us a little further.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: YouTube TV

Post by pdub »

I don't but have cut cable a long while ago. I would switch from what I have now, Direct TV Stream, if we didn't have a 15/mo discount bc of a phone plan.

YouTube has the NFL Network, NBATV and ESPNU - our Direct TV plan does not.

As mentioned on here before, if you have a stable fast internet connection, it's worth switching to save money. The only thing you need to get used to is a. a very minor delay in switching channels -- cable is just faster and b. some delay in live TV - as in, the people watching it on cable or direct via digital antenna, will be watching it before you ( be careful with friend/family texts during sporting events ).

Of course an even cheaper option, if you have a TV with an antenna built in for your local channels ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX, is Sling TV, which for 35/month, will cover ESPN/ESPN2, FS1 and the NFL Network.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:32 pm I don't but have cut cable a long while ago. I would switch from what I have now, Direct TV Stream, if we didn't have a 15/mo discount bc of a phone plan.

YouTube has the NFL Network, NBATV and ESPNU - our Direct TV plan does not.

As mentioned on here before, if you have a stable fast internet connection, it's worth switching to save money. The only thing you need to get used to is a. a very minor delay in switching channels -- cable is just faster and b. some delay in live TV - as in, the people watching it on cable or direct via digital antenna, will be watching it before you ( be careful with friend/family texts during sporting events ).

Of course an even cheaper option, if you have a TV with an antenna built in for your local channels ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX, is Sling TV, which for 35/month, will cover ESPN/ESPN2, FS1 and the NFL Network.
I don't want to deal with having to teach my wife two different new methods for watching tv. One new one will be hard enough. We'll be doing a nice internet upgrade to the house so our internet should be very reliable. We had traditional Direct TV for a year and hated everything about them, their service and their equipment so I'd be hard pressed to try them again.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Direct TV Streaming has been good.
No need for equipment or service - just download the app on your Smart TV.
But the standard price is 5 dollars more than YouTube TV and you get fewer channels.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:05 pm Direct TV Streaming has been good.
No need for equipment or service - just download the app on your Smart TV.
But the standard price is 5 dollars more than YouTube TV and you get fewer channels.
Ah, got it. I think we may give YouTube TV a shot and see how it works out.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

I have it. Works great
shindig

Post by shindig »

I have sling, but thinking of switching to YouTube TV. I have Google Fiber 1g, so never any streaming issues, but you do have to wait a few seconds for it to pull up.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

YouTube TV is great. Ive tried sling, hulu live TV, and YouTube TV since I cut cable. And I think YouTube is pretty clearly the best choice
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

twocoach wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:13 pm Does anyone here have YouTube TV? Do you like/dislike it? It seems to have all the channels we need at a fraction of the cost of what we currently pay. We're moving soon and I am not going to use our current traditional cable tv provider at the new house. I also have ESPN+/Disney+ and will probably get Hulu+ added to that bundle to expand us a little further.

It’s fucking fantastic. Unlimited DVR. If you tell it to record a KU football game it will ask you if you want to record all KU football games or All college football games. If you leave your house and pull it on your phone somewhere else it will ask if you want to pick up where you left off or join live. You can cancel with the click of a mouse.

Fucking love it.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Excellent to hear. I wish I could drop Cox as my internet provider but getting my wife to change her email address is apparently too difficult an undertaking...
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:28 amI wish I could drop Cox as my internet provider but getting my wife to change her email address is apparently too difficult an undertaking...
I thought that to have an @ISP email address that you had to be social security eligible.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I may be married to a blowup doll but at least she has a gmail account and knows how the TV works.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

lmao
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
nu_bronco

Post by nu_bronco »

I just cut cable and switched to YouTube TV. I like it better than Hulu. But I just switched Hulu+++ (Disney, ESPN+ and Hulu Live TV) since I had Disney and ESPN+ already it was a better deal. I like the UI of YouTube TV better but for now with stick with Hulu at least for the next 6 months or so. I prefer both over the cable company I had.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Looks like twocoachs wife learned to use kcrim.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

YouTubeTV is the best streaming program I've used. No buffering issues, all the sports channels you need. The Hulu+ bundle is only good for the ESPN+ IMO.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:50 am Looks like twocoachs wife learned to use kcrim.
Nah, I just decided that maybe that was more than I needed to share. Oversharing is one of the many issues I seem to have.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

nu_bronco wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:34 pm I just cut cable and switched to YouTube TV. I like it better than Hulu. But I just switched Hulu+++ (Disney, ESPN+ and Hulu Live TV) since I had Disney and ESPN+ already it was a better deal. I like the UI of YouTube TV better but for now with stick with Hulu at least for the next 6 months or so. I prefer both over the cable company I had.
So, what’s the verdict on Hulu+Live? I’m trying to decide between these two (YouTubeTV and Hulu+Live). I like the idea of getting the Disney and ESPN+ with the latter but how is the “improved” UI and stream? For this reason it’s Hulu by a nose but I’m still torn. I have relatively good and stable internet connection. Thanks for any input.
nu_bronco

Post by nu_bronco »

zsn wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:31 am
So, what’s the verdict on Hulu+Live? I’m trying to decide between these two (YouTubeTV and Hulu+Live). I like the idea of getting the Disney and ESPN+ with the latter but how is the “improved” UI and stream? For this reason it’s Hulu by a nose but I’m still torn. I have relatively good and stable internet connection. Thanks for any input.
I am happy with Hulu+Live. If you get ESPN+ and if you add KU basketball as a favorite the games from ESPN+ will show up in the Hulu tv guide to select without opening ESPN+. I think Hulu will also record the ESPN+ games automatically, I will confirm this tonight and let you know.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Awesome. Thanks again!