Official Gamethread at OU

Kansas Football.
AlOerter
Contributor

Re: Official Gamethread at OU

Post by AlOerter »

OK, I'm not off the band wagon yet. We will win one more and get to a bowl.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

AlOerter wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:40 pm How do you give up 700 yds on defense?
Their skill guys are breathtakingly fast.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

ChalkRocker wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:46 pm
According to the advanced stat nerds. OU is something like 2nd best offense and 3rd best defense in Big 12.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:48 pm
According to the advanced stat nerds. OU is something like 2nd best offense and 3rd best defense in Big 12.
You mean pdub?
Defense. Rebounds.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

I'm holding on to the feeling that well get at least one, maybe two wins out of the last three games.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jhawks99 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:10 pm
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:48 pm

You mean pdub?
I love stats.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

OU was on pace of 3.3 plays a minute. They bull-rushed us. No subs. Needed to call timeouts to slow OU. Occasionally.
CFB has got to stop the crazy tempo offenses. It injures kids. 40 plays more. Jeebus. You can always count on assaulting KU at home. The winner of the Big 12 will have zero in the tank.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Fast or quick?
No faster than our skill guys. Right? I mean, Bean is just as fast as Gabriel. Neal is just as fast as Gray and Barnes. Arnold is just as fast as Mims. Fairchild is just as fast as Willis. Etc.

To answer Al's question, by being ill prepared and then playing poorly.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

My guess on remaining lines:

KU at Baylor. +9
V OSU. +9.5
At Tech. +6
V Texas. +10
At ksu. + 8.5
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Stand flat footed in a plain zone and then tackling poorly while generating no rush against an opponent with fast skill players and an accurate QB apparently.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

A couple of observations about the D. OU played an offensive style that we hadn't seen and didn't prepare for. The return of their starting QB. Missed tackles. Phelps not at 100%. Guarding grass instead of receivers. Getting beat up front. That's more than a couple but other teams are going to watch this film and attack us the same way. We didn't adjust in 60 minutes. We'd better adjust before next Saturday.

The offense had its issues but 42 points is enough to win. This one hangs squarely on the defense.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I wouldn’t say we’ve never seen. It’s RPO / zone read that just about every team including ours runs. It is actually quite simple to defend as long as you know your assignments, can read your keys and are disciplined.

It works very well at the college level because an o coordinator is banking you will make a mistake. One time you get out out of position and it is off to the races. One time you try and be the hero to ‘stop’ the bleeding and a WR is running free down the sideline. For a defense like KU has they have to be perfect and yesterday they were far from it and it showed.

OU is probably a better team than they have showed but I also believe KU made them look way better than they really are.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

It all starts in the trenches and we were clearly outmatched there. Shit can snowball in college football when there's a big discrepancy there.

And as mentioned in the thread, not that he would have been the difference in the outcome, but yesterday shows why it was insane for anyone to say the D would be better off without Gavin Potter. We really lack size where it matters.

Reminds me of the very early Mangino years. Offense immediately became dangerous in 2003. Then we recruited and developed the defense. Pumping our linebackers full of roids also helped nudge that.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

holidaysmore wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:26 am I wouldn’t say we’ve never seen. It’s RPO / zone read that just about every team including ours runs. It is actually quite simple to defend as long as you know your assignments, can read your keys and are disciplined.
"Know your assignments" stood out to me. They did not look assignment sound. It would be hard to argue (not that anyone is) that OU is physically superior to TCU. Not getting a chance to sub up front really threw a monkey-wrench into our plan, but that doesn't excuse blown coverage and reads on the back end.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:22 am It all starts in the trenches and we were clearly outmatched there. Shit can snowball in college football when there's a big discrepancy there.
All of this.

Depth is better than it has ever been but still not good enough to compete with the OUs of the world. The OU coaching staff knew it could catch KU in sub packages that would be beneficial to them. Spread us out then go hat on hat for the inside running game. When KU needed it most, on the pivotal 3 and shorts they had zero push to make the stops they needed to get back in the game.

Yesterday was a reminder for me of just how far Lance still has to go to make this really work. This 5-0 start was great but the work is far from finished.
Holidaysmore - 2005
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:31 am
Fast or quick?
No faster than our skill guys. Right? I mean, Bean is just as fast as Gabriel. Neal is just as fast as Gray and Barnes. Arnold is just as fast as Mims. Fairchild is just as fast as Willis. Etc.

There's clock fast and game fast.

Clock fast is performance under controlled conditions.

Game fast is speed under spontaneous, stressed conditions. Large diff. OU was fast. It was there to see.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

ChalkRocker wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:50 pm
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:31 am

Fast or quick?

There's clock fast and game fast.

Clock fast is performance under controlled conditions.

Game fast is speed under spontaneous, stressed conditions. Large diff. OU was fast. It was there to see.
I agree with everything you said.
I was referring to "clock fast" in regards to the comparisons. The OU players sure seemed to be superior in regards to "game fast".

Probably a bad analogy between me as a kid and NCAA Football players but I often think back to my grade school days. There was a girl I could beat in sprint straight line races consistently. When it came time to playing tag, I could never catch her.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

OU was faster at receiver than KU could respond to. They 500 yards of pitch and catch
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I missed most of the first half but the second half and the lowlights from the first all of Gabriel’s big plays were off of double moves or coverage busts.
Holidaysmore - 2005