First look overreactions (pitt st exhibition)

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 863

Re: First look overreactions (pitt st exhibition)

Post by Deleted User 863 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:57 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:56 am How do we know McCullar is even comfortable enough within the offense to know multiple positions? Seems sort of unlikely imo. It usually takes transfers some time to acclimate and learn the system.
It's not ideal, but we are talking about a scenario that is not ideal: losing the backup PG to injury.

But I certainly trust McCullar at this level as a PG more than Yesufu.
Truthfully, how it'd probably work out in this scenario if there is still uncomfortableness is JW might do the offense initiation even though McCullar would technically be in at the 1. We've seen JW do that before in short stretches.

Agree about trusting McCullar over Yes at this point.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

really?

not me.

Down the stretch in crunch time in nothing less than the national championship, Self gave the keys to Remy.

Remy rewarded us by hitting the kinds of ridiculous step back 3s we simply can't expect from Dajuan.

Then, with like 4 seconds left, Dajuan finally checked back in and almost fucked it all up for us anyway.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:03 am really?

not me.

Down the stretch in crunch time in nothing less than the national championship, Self gave the keys to Remy.

Remy rewarded us by hitting the kinds of ridiculous step back 3s we simply can't expect from Dajuan.

Then, with like 4 seconds left, Dajuan finally checked back in and almost fucked it all up for us anyway.
Sort of revisionist history, but oh well. You're not very good at basketball analysis. I also don't think you watch the games very closely, if at all, judging by having absolutely no idea what just load the wagon was all about.

We don't win the national title game without Remy OR Dajuan. Self would tell you the exact same thing. He's said as much in interviews.

That is what was great about last years main group. Every single one of them was needed to win the national title. #TEAM
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

not me.

That’s one way to look at it. The other is that Dajuan played like 25-30 mins a game in the tournament on a team that brought in a 1st Team All PAC-12 point guard to be the starter. Bill has the hugest mancrush on Dajuan
Deleted User 863

I tend to think, all things equal, that if Self prefers a player over another player (or players), there is probably a good reason. Maybe one that is hard to identify only watching games on TV.

He's a hall of fame coach who has developed dozens of NBA players.

We are messageboarders with day jobs.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

TDub wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:04 am The debate on Yesefu isn't if he can play the 1....its if he can play at this level at all. I havent seen much encouraging in that regard. I know you've been riding the Yes train for 18 months now, and you struggle with opinion changes despite ample evidence to the contrary....but....I dont see it. Id be happy to be wrong.
Lol we know yes can play at this level. He was useful at times last year. And drake blah blah. But he still hasn't taken that jump i hoped to see. All the tools are there. But im beginning to cool on him. He's either gonna flip the switch and be productive or he's not. We said that about McCormack a few times too even later in his career. The problem is in his head/confidence. All the tools are still there tho
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:29 am Cuffe is so young, so there's room for development there.

I don't think the staff could count on Pettiford staying healthy, so Yesufu is needed on this roster. But, as discussed, if Pettiford goes down again, I think we really have to consider playing McCullar instead of Yesufu at the 1.

I think all 3 of Pet, Yes, and Cuffe are being recruited over.
I dont really beleive in the concept of "people being recruited over"

We recruit the best players we can get. Every single year. We let them all compete for spots. That never changes no matter who is on the roster or what recruits are coming in
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

But we have 3 good guards coming in next year. Elmarko and Chris Johnson are both potential 5 star guards. Everyone keeps talking about elmarko. We don't technically know he will be ahead of Johnson when he gets here. Jamari McDowell isn't a scrub but will probably be a bit behind those 2

Elmarko and Johnson are both likely to challenge for minutes next year. Dajuan likely ain't going anywhere supposedly this is his team moving forward

That leaves yesefu, pettiford, and cuff competing with the freshman for minutes. High unlikely we don't have at least one transfer. Im betting pettiford and or yesefu are gone. Depending who falls through the cracks this year. Hopefully cuff sticks around. Hes still so young raw and talented
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

randylahey wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:10 pm
TDub wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:04 am The debate on Yesefu isn't if he can play the 1....its if he can play at this level at all. I havent seen much encouraging in that regard. I know you've been riding the Yes train for 18 months now, and you struggle with opinion changes despite ample evidence to the contrary....but....I dont see it. Id be happy to be wrong.
Lol we know yes can play at this level. He was useful at times last year. And drake blah blah. But he still hasn't taken that jump i hoped to see. All the tools are there. But im beginning to cool on him. He's either gonna flip the switch and be productive or he's not. We said that about McCormack a few times too even later in his career. The problem is in his head/confidence. All the tools are still there tho
when was he useful (yeseful?) He only really played a couple games when we desperate with injury. He has shown nothing that indicates he is impactful for a top 25 team. In 2 years he started 7 games for Drake. He scored 72 pts total last season for us, he has not looked comfortable....ever, that I can remember.

I hope he turns the corner and does well this year but so far nothing has shown thats the most likely path. He's in year 4 of college basketball.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 863

I also think we make it seem easier than it really is to "take that next step". He's not "bad" by any means, we are just used to NBA caliber players, and Yesufu is not that.

He does some things well enough to be a contributor for us, but obviously doesn't do other things well enough to beat out other guys around him (at least not so far).

He's a national champion. If he is patient and realistic he should have an enjoyable career/experience at KU whether he plays a major role in most games or not.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

He was useful towards the end of last season before Remy came back
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

agree to disagree I guess. He played 20 mins twice, he played 15-18 minutes 3 times. he scored 9 pts once.

He was an emergency usage type guy. No Remy, no Bobby.

We'll see how this year shapes up. If he contributes consistently and earns minutes based on performance I'll be happy and pleasantly surprised
Just Ledoux it
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

TDub wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:03 pm agree to disagree I guess. He played 20 mins twice, he played 15-18 minutes 3 times. he scored 9 pts once.

He was an emergency usage type guy. No Remy, no Bobby.

We'll see how this year shapes up. If he contributes consistently and earns minutes based on performance I'll be happy and pleasantly surprised
Thats what I would consider "useful"

If he can play 20 minutes in a game at kansas. On a national championship team. Id say he can "play at this level"
Deleted User 863

I think we are just defining "play at this level" differently. Of course he can play at this level, otherwise Self wouldn't have recruited him to KU. But can he play a main rotation role at KU? It's starting to look sort of unlikely.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:08 pm I think we are just defining "play at this level" differently. Of course he can play at this level, otherwise Self wouldn't have recruited him to KU. But can he play a main rotation role at KU? It's starting to look sort of unlikely.
Hes gonna play this year. If pettiford could shoot he might be able to beat him out. But Pettigrew can't even spell the word jumpshot. Yesefu is a bucket. Athletically hes as explosive as any guard we've had here
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:24 am

not me.

That’s one way to look at it. The other is that Dajuan played like 25-30 mins a game in the tournament on a team that brought in a 1st Team All PAC-12 point guard to be the starter. Bill has the hugest mancrush on Dajuan
If Remy was healthy all year that would have never happened. But obviously worked out for the best. Dajuan fit well with the other starters. And Remy off the bench made us elite and helped win a title
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Self hs admitted in the past making mistakes playing certain guys over others. But dajuan wasn't a mistake. Hes like that employee you can always count on. Always shows up on time always puts in the work. Unfortunately dajuan doesn't have a very high talent ceiling. But we know that he is gonna guard and take care of the ball. Play smart basketball. Self loves those things. I dont think dajuan fits as well with these team unfortunately so his limitations might be exposed a little more
Deleted User 863

randylahey wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:09 pm Yesefu is a bucket. Athletically hes as explosive as any guard we've had here
I don't see it.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

randylahey wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:09 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:08 pm I think we are just defining "play at this level" differently. Of course he can play at this level, otherwise Self wouldn't have recruited him to KU. But can he play a main rotation role at KU? It's starting to look sort of unlikely.
Hes gonna play this year. If pettiford could shoot he might be able to beat him out. But Pettigrew can't even spell the word jumpshot. Yesefu is a bucket. Athletically hes as explosive as any guard we've had here
he shot 33%, 26% from 3 last year. Yes isnt exactly putting stellar numbers. If Pettiford stays healthy Yes doesnt get the minutes that he did. Id wager Bobby gets more minutes than Yes this year barring injury.

Your last 2 sentences is Q like analysis.
Just Ledoux it
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

But have you watched them shoot? Yesefu hasn't knocked down shots at a high clip statistically. Pettiford doesn't functionally know how to shoot a jumpshot