Ancient apocalypse - netflix

Coffee talk.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: Ancient apocalypse - netflix

Post by KUTradition »

…feels like it should be shown on the History Channel at 2am…
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

From the comments, probably what I was implying with this kinda stuff:

"Because X doesn't account for all the available physical evidence or the physical evidence is incomplete, then Y must be possible, no matter how insane".
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

it gets better…

…excerpts from Joe Rohan’s podcast, The Joe Rohan Experience, are featured.
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

It's an idea that would explain beliefs held by people all over the world. Most cultures and religions share a "biblical flood" type story. Its a reoccurring theme across the world in the Bible, different religions and native cultural myths. But it seems like a larger than life event that couldn't be real.

This dudes ideas present a scientific way it could have happened and presents geological evidence that it did happen. Which fall in line with the stories that have been passed down by our ancestors for thousands of years, predating written record

Interesting to think about
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

The geological record also syncs up to when platos lost city of atlantis timeline. 10900 BC. To when that city was supposedly swallowed up by the ocean.

Watch it and think on it if you find human history interesting
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

And again. This guy is trying to prove something that would explain a lot of things. Its hard to prove shit that happened before written record. So its just stuff to think about.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Wiff

Post by Wiff »

I'll allow it.
Ain't no seats
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Its now the #2 overall show on Netflix so apparently a lot of people find it interesting and maybe even believable
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

randylahey wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:54 pm Its now the #2 overall show on Netflix so apparently a lot of people find it interesting and maybe even believable
I guess (?) that, according to the article,
That says a lot about your viewing habits?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

“ John Hoopes, an archaeologist at the University of Kansas, is one of the mainstream archaeologist naysayers of the kind Hancock targets without naming. Hoopes has often written about the history of alternative and pseudoarchaeology, and about Hancock himself…”

KU represent.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

pdub wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:50 am “ John Hoopes, an archaeologist at the University of Kansas, is one of the mainstream archaeologist naysayers of the kind Hancock targets without naming. Hoopes has often written about the history of alternative and pseudoarchaeology, and about Hancock himself…”

KU represent.
Would be curious his thoughts on the younger dryas extinction event. Or the younger dryas impact theory. To me thats where grahams ideas makes most sense

And it wasn't technically his theory. He's a journalist who pieced together the theories of other archaeologists and geologists and grahams changed his mind on shit over the years
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Its actually an interesting show. If you dont take it as absolute fact and/or proof and just enjoy it without any further meaning.

Of course, I'm way more interested in history than I am in futurology.

I dont know that any of this is accurate, provable, or all faked and/or just misunderstood. But what I will say is that it seems the more we think we know, and the more we are confident that our theories are correct....the more we find we dont actually know.
Just Ledoux it
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

:twisted:
TDub wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:27 am Its actually an interesting show. If you dont take it as absolute fact and/or proof and just enjoy it without any further meaning.

Of course, I'm way more interested in history than I am in futurology.

I dont know that any of this is accurate, provable, or all faked and/or just misunderstood. But what I will say is that it seems the more we think we know, and the more we are confident that our theories are correct....the more we find we dont actually know.
This. Going into things with an open mind is becoming a rare human quality. And its a disservice to us all

The show is good
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Graham is an entertainer. The shows are ripe with factual archaeological data, but he casts aspersions and insults on the archeology community for not pursuing his opinions, which is what the show is about, his opinions.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

this is also true.

But, most of our known history is based on a mixture of fact and opinion of those that interpret the available facts and data.

Even our written records are subject to interpretation and opinion (whether the opinion of the historian or the opinion of the original author). Look at Caligula for instance. All accounts are that he was a debacherous, insane, and evil emperor. But....all of our accounts were written by his Uncle Claudius who wrote and circulated these stories 4 years after he had Caligula assisnated. There are some who think he embellished and/or fabricated these stories to disparage the former emperor and justify his own actions to the populous after he took over the empire. It seems Caligula was, according to some newer interpretations of sources, actually very popular with the Roman's and not as crazy as the record shows. We will probably never know beyond these available facts and associated opinions. It would be fun to be able to rerun history and watch it all.
Just Ledoux it
shindig

Post by shindig »

A lot of his theory is based around the last ice age when sea levels were much lower, so maybe 10-12k B.C. As the ice receded, sea levels rose drastically, thus submerging a lot of advanced civilizations that were already building what would be considered "advanced" at that time period. I haven't seen all the episodes, maybe 3-4, but found it interesting.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

The show actually does a fairly good job of making convincing arguments. It's as good as most theories ive heard with regards to the sites. He's not saying "advanced" as in flying machines and alien tech...just advanced for what we currently allow for the time period and ...that seems plausible.

2 more thoughts.

-hes definitely right when he says our current civilization has "fallen out of harmony with the universe".

- he shouldve left Joe Rogan out completely. The guy added nothing and is just annoying as shit. If anything his presence devalues the legitimacy of his argument.
Just Ledoux it