KU +12 at kstate

Kansas Football.
NewtonHawk11

Re: KU +12 at kstate

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

KU went toe-to-toe with the 2 teams playing in the conference championship game. That’s progress.

Before you say this game wasn’t close, gifted them 9 points and the margin without those 9 was 11 points and a TD was scored with 4 minutes left to pad the cushion. Without those 9 points, it was less than a 1-score game the entire game.

This teams is still going to play in fucking December. That’s a damn miracle considering this staff is STILL just a year and a half into this thing.

They brought in some serious studs on D through portal like Young and Phelps. Need to get some more depth.

Offensive line has some good pieces like Baynes and the 5 star OT from Wisconsin that will likely start next year. Need some dynamic WR to step in next year.

Losing Hishaw really was the one who hurt the most. Let’s get him healthy and back in the plan and let’s see what 2023 in a new Big 12 season has in store.

Rock Chalk
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I agree Newton. Execution on special teams (something that must be cleaned up) and the elements doomed KU. But the offense looked pretty crisp. I was disappointed in the play calling in the second half. And I think for the first time ever in a loss, KU used no time outs. In the Big 12, KU needs to use defensive timeouts to slow the rhythm. Worse, the game clock wasn't reset correctly for KU on several snaps, leaving Kansas rushing to get off plays. I would like the competition committee to look at that.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

twocoach wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:55 am
AlOerter wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:49 am One thing about this game - KU didn't get physically dominated like they did against Texas.

Better things coming for this program.
I don't know that KSU has the same caliber of physically dominant linemen.

But that is definitely a weak point for the current KU team and one I hope they devote significant time towards in the offseason. We have what, one or two more seasons or Jalon Daniels? We need to take advantage of that window in case his replacement isn't the same caliber.
You're right about K-state not being physically dominant. It shows that you don't necessarily need to be to win games. They are assignment sound and execute without making very many mistakes. That needs to be KU's aim until hopefully a couple more years of recruiting increases their overall physicality.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

And that was the selling point of LL. His teams played assignment sound, tough and smart football. During the 5-0 winning streak they looked every part of that but ever since the TCU game (minus Okie State) they have reverted back to old habits.
Holidaysmore - 2005
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

For the last 6 games, we allowed 41.3 PPG and scored 28.5 PPG.
Have to blame the defense mostly here.

That said, against the same opponents last season, we allowed 44.5 PPG and scored 19 PPG.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Borland probably has one more season or else he'll have to find a different place of employment. Kotelnicki and others have proved their worth. Borland really hasn't.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

And yes, I understand that Leipold likes his guys. But P5 football and the pressure there is different than Buffalo or Wisconsin-Whitewater.

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The 3rd and long defense is not acceptable. It was worse than third and short. It is an unwillingness to bring blitzes and cover. Screen pass defense you would think would be great in that eventuality. But no. This needs to be fixed before the Cheetohs Extends Depends Bowl
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

holidaysmore wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:39 am And that was the selling point of LL. His teams played assignment sound, tough and smart football. During the 5-0 winning streak they looked every part of that but ever since the TCU game (minus Okie State) they have reverted back to old habits.
When you start getting deeper into the depth chart due to injuries, you get guys who have to commit more penalties to avoid getting roasted on an assignment.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Sparko wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:38 am The 3rd and long defense is not acceptable. It was worse than third and short. It is an unwillingness to bring blitzes and cover. Screen pass defense you would think would be great in that eventuality. But no. This needs to be fixed before the Cheetohs Extends Depends Bowl
They did seem to make an adjustment and they blitzed more in obvious passing situations and it worked after first quarter and a half or so. Just took too long.

hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

AlOerter wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:52 am
twocoach wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:55 am
AlOerter wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:49 am One thing about this game - KU didn't get physically dominated like they did against Texas.

Better things coming for this program.
I don't know that KSU has the same caliber of physically dominant linemen.

But that is definitely a weak point for the current KU team and one I hope they devote significant time towards in the offseason. We have what, one or two more seasons or Jalon Daniels? We need to take advantage of that window in case his replacement isn't the same caliber.
You're right about K-state not being physically dominant. It shows that you don't necessarily need to be to win games. They are assignment sound and execute without making very many mistakes. That needs to be KU's aim until hopefully a couple more years of recruiting increases their overall physicality.
So you are saying that recruiting is going to bring you the Jimmy's and Joe's, you can look to this year or last year and tell me where they are? Hell maybe next year. LOL All the studs are Les recruits or transfers.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:05 am Borland probably has one more season or else he'll have to find a different place of employment. Kotelnicki and others have proved their worth. Borland really hasn't.
By far the biggest problem. We didn't have depth problems on the DL. You guys need to start looking at the guys we are losing. What position they played and who we have coming, you going to see we losing a lot of depth and experience in places that did not perform. The defense did not perform any better than last year and that is trouble. This staff added a lot of transfers but the HS recruiting is not up to what Les was doing.
Look on the offensive side of the ball we get A grade and we need to stay healthy. The defense is trash and that is on the coach. You want to say we need better players. Good Luck.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"The defense did not perform any better than last year and that is trouble"

While yes, it's still a shitty unit, and one of the worst in CFB, it did perform slightly better.

KU 22:
YPG: 452
PPG: 33.8

KU 21:
YPG: 487
PPG: 42.2
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

pdub wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:42 am "The defense did not perform any better than last year and that is trouble"

While yes, it's still a shitty unit, and one of the worst in CFB, it did perform slightly better.

KU 22:
YPG: 452
PPG: 33.8

KU 21:
YPG: 487
PPG: 42.2
Well you could look at that and say our defense is showing progress or you could dive into it and see the difference was the ISU and the OSU games. Then was it our defense stepping up or their offense was not as good as the year before for some reason. You know like their QB didn't play or they for some reason had the worst offense in CFB which typically they did not.

This defense was as bad as last year which is a problem.
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

I don't see any other way this could be classified other than an A+, exceeds expectations season. This team had the chance to be even more special if not for injuries that left us short-handed in the backloaded second half of the conference schedule. Yes, defense and special teams are still a major weak point. But both of those things can be true at the same time.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It's a 96 out of 100 for me.
A win in the bowl would make it a 97.
Had we beaten TCU ( thanks refs ) or ksu that's 99.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Of course the season exceeded expectations (well, not 99s expectations) and the players and coaches deserve a lot of praise but no matter how we sugarcoat it, Going 1-6 in the last 7 games and finishing 8th in the conference is terrible for most programs.

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

the key word being “most”
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Vegas had us winning 2.5.
We smashed that.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

el oh el Gutter..

In a bowl game. Hosted College Gameday for the first time ever. Tied for 7th in Big 12 Standings (Not last for first time in like 10 years) Scored more points than they gave up all year. 4-2 at home.

A++ Season. 2023 season might be easier. Won't play all conference teams.

Exciting season. Exciting future. Let's go!