…so then I told her to shut up.
twocoach

Re: Pronouns

Post by twocoach »

Eh, ok.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I mean, that’s just a godawful take, right?
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

This just isn't funny. I am not sure why you're having a hard time understanding that. Adults don't typically find this type of stuff humorous.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

What do you think about Peterson’s take tho?
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

I think I'll sit this one out guys. Good luck!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

sooo

They’ve been salty to me, which I guess is understandable, even if I’ve apologized and humbled myself and said I’m really trying to recognize their pronouns and be as respectful and supporting as possible and I just want them to be their truest version of themself and stuff.

But now, they’re just walking all over me?

It’s this ongoing “hey ous I ate the snacks off your desk” and “hey ous I took your sunglasses” and “hey ous I’m having your cake and eating it too”

So I guess my question is, how do I articulate, as respectfully as possible, that both of these things can be true:

1. I need to be better about pronouns
2. just cuz I need to be better about pronouns doesn’t mean they get to be an entitled brat about everything else

And the saddest part is, I kindly offer snacks to share anyway! It’s just that they’re taking more than they’re given
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

is there more than 1?
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

No, just one, who prefers they/them pronouns.

Maybe there’s also a question of how to use they/them as singular
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:37 am sooo

They’ve been salty to me, which I guess is understandable, even if I’ve apologized and humbled myself and said I’m really trying to recognize their pronouns and be as respectful and supporting as possible and I just want them to be their truest version of themself and stuff.

But now, they’re just walking all over me?

It’s this ongoing “hey ous I ate the snacks off your desk” and “hey ous I took your sunglasses” and “hey ous I’m having your cake and eating it too”

So I guess my question is, how do I articulate, as respectfully as possible, that both of these things can be true:

1. I need to be better about pronouns
2. just cuz I need to be better about pronouns doesn’t mean they get to be an entitled brat about everything else

And the saddest part is, I kindly offer snacks to share anyway! It’s just that they’re taking more than they’re given
Maybe all it proves is that those who use different pronouns can be as equally rude and selfish as those who don't. Rude, self-entitled coworkers come in all shapes and sizes. What you do is speak to your manager as they are the people who get paid to handle stupid shit like this. You attempting to maneuver through it yourself is probably not a great idea since you do not seem equipped to maneuver through this successfully on your own.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:13 am No, just one, who prefers they/them pronouns.

"Someone left their glass of milk on the table" when talking about the one person who left their milk on the table would be an example of how "they/them" works as singular.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:13 am No, just one, who prefers they/them pronouns.

Then its, he or she, or Kevin or Katie or whatever . It cannot be a they or a them, that is nonsensical.
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Like many "label" things, I think this is just a phase that will go away in a few years. Hopefully it evolves into something that actually makes a difference in how people are treated personally, professionally and legally.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

twocoach wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:32 pm Like many "label" things, I think this is just a phase that will go away in a few years. Hopefully it evolves into something that actually makes a difference in how people are treated personally, professionally and legally.
The Right isn’t going to let this one fade away anytime soon
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

im not sure its just the right thats keeping it alive. Its attention seekers from all realms.....including our very own, and favorite, ubiquitous question asker.
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:05 pm im not sure its just the right thats keeping it alive. Its attention seekers from all realms.....including our very own, and favorite, ubiquitous question asker.
It's just virtue signaling for those in the "protest" phase of their lives. They'll be out marching around for or against something when it warms up. Good for them if pointed in the right direction.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I think the best part of this entire thread is this unexpected plot twist:

guess who is now trying they/them/their damndest to convince the coworkers that I must be just another backward-thinking religious conservative from Kansas…
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

are you confused about your place on this earth. The only explanation why you keep unearthing this topic.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

While the conspiracies thread is the most depressing thing I've read in years, this thread provides me no small amount of joy.

Also:
DCHawk1 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:43 am "like Saturn, the Revolution devours its children,"
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:29 pm While the conspiracies thread is the most depressing thing I've read in years, this thread provides me no small amount of joy.

Also:
DCHawk1 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:43 am "like Saturn, the Revolution devours its children,"
I'm finding the Conspiracies thread to be quite a lot of fun.