Negotiating a salary

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: Negotiating a salary

Post by ousdahl »

defixione wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:07 pm Having met Ous, on numerous occasions and varying circumstances, if he applied to work for my company I'd hire him in a nanosecond. Chub or not.
whoa, thanks for the kind words!

POTD Defixione!

and to think I almost gave it to DC on the pols bored.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:39 pm Negativity in the workplace is contagious.
well if negativity in the workplace is contagious, lord only knows what it might do to a message bored
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:23 pm

Personally, I wouldn't pay you a dime to do anything for me, no offense.
yea right dude, I bet there are few things in life that would chub you up more than the thought of spending an hour making me do whatever you want in exchange for $7.25.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

japhy wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:56 pm
Let's start with the obvious. If anything you say in an interview sounds like you get your job interview advice from r/antiwork, you are wasting your time.
and actually, on second thought, funny story!

during the first interview the person interviewing me suddenly went on some tangent about the railroad strike. She wondered out loud about something, and I very carefully offered the most unopinionated insight I could about the matter, simply in a "I too have knowledge of this current event" kind of way, and I think it impressed them.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:20 pm show them all of your 23,000+ posts on here.
wait, how did gutter know I was applying to be mod of the satellite bored?
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:16 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:23 pm

Personally, I wouldn't pay you a dime to do anything for me, no offense.
yea right dude, I bet there are few things in life that would chub you up more than the thought of spending an hour making me do whatever you want in exchange for $7.25.
Nope.

You don't seem to possess $7.25/hr skills, and I'm confident I could find someone with better work ethic.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:20 pmadvice pls
How long did you work in the industry you got a degree in when you got out of college?

How long has it been since you worked in a job that was associated with your degree?
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I've held two positions with "professional" titles relevant to my degree for a total of 5 years experience, up until this summer, unless you count the various freelance projects I worked on when I was otherwise partying in the Empire.

They know that.

And by they I mean my prospective new employer. And also the current lesbian coworker.

Also the "Head Fishing Guide/World Famous Ski Instructor" position for 5 years, which they actually seem to enjoy hearing about more than the actual job jobs, especially once I describe it dropping the buzz words like leadership and such, lulz.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

If you want the job. Be humble and realistic. They are taking a flyer on you. Tell them you don't know your market value at this point. Tell them you want the job and a change of career.

They likely will be offering a salary around the range of someone with little experience with your degree. If you mention what you think should be the salary for someone with 10 years of experience, the interview is probably over. Don't act insulted by their offer. It's not personal, they are taking a flyer on you because they like something about you and are willing to take a chance on you. Most of the time these things don't work out. You have one year to impress them and make yourself indispensable. If you stick for two years, you can negotiate salary.

If you have a minimum salary you would accept, just tell them what it is. It will save you both time and they should respect that.

If you start playing games and try to negotiate with them it is probably a mistake. If you get them to give you a higher salary than what they wanted, they are likely desperate and or will have high expectations you might not meet.

Employers are having a tough time finding good people. But don't overplay your hand. Everyone is on their best behavior at this point in the process. If you come off as overly demanding they will assume it only goes downhill from here. It is easier to cover an unfilled position than it is to deal with a problem employee.

If you overplay your hand and they hire you anyway, it is probably a shitty place to work and you will be unhappy within a year.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Japhy offers sage advice on numerous subjects. You'd be wise to heed his experience and listen to what you can learn from him.

He continues to offer solid and honest advice and somehow manages to do it in a non condescending way (even if some of the same undertones of...."come on dude".....are there) so, maybe, just maybe.....you'll accept his advice. I hope you do.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:20 pm
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:20 pm show them all of your 23,000+ posts on here.
wait, how did gutter know I was applying to be mod of the satellite bored?
The only people I would allow to take over that job are as follows:

Gary Woodland
Steve The Pirate
tk
Wiscy
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Japhy gives good advice.

And it's pretty classic tdub to comment about being non condescending yet still throwing in a "come on dude."

and make no mistake, I'm pretty self-depreciating. I too think my resume and career is a joke. For a number of reasons (many of which were my own fault), I just never actually pursued anything worth pursuing. I been gearing up for a career change, when this opportunity came along.

though it's not exactly the stuff of passion, it might pay well, be good experience in real time and both in terms of connections I could get out of it long-term, and I already know many of the people I've been working with. In a lot of ways, good coworkers are worth as much as anything. And did I mention it might pay well?

now quick, somebody ridicule me for selling out!
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:02 am Japhy gives good advice.

And it's pretty classic tdub to comment about being non condescending yet still throwing in a "come on dude."

and make no mistake, I'm pretty self-depreciating. I too think my resume and career is a joke. For a number of reasons (many of which were my own fault), I just never actually pursued anything worth pursuing. I been gearing up for a career change, when this opportunity came along.

though it's not exactly the stuff of passion, it might pay well, be good experience in real time and both in terms of connections I could get out of it long-term, and I already know many of the people I've been working with. In a lot of ways, good coworkers are worth as much as anything. And did I mention it might pay well?

now quick, somebody ridicule me for selling out!
I said japhy was able to manage to be not condescending...

i never said i was.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

and I should say, the new prospective employer and I have already discussed the ballpark numbers. And I'm not gonna try to high ball and demand double that much all of a sudden. My strategy is more, if they offer the low end of what we discussed how do I negotiate the high end instead.

and, I know this comment is going to absolutely blow some of your capitalist minds, but, I'm taking a flyer on them too!
Last edited by ousdahl on Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

and yes TDub, I'm well aware of how condescending you are. Thanks for yet another reminder.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

nothing necessarily wrong with selling out if it gets you closer to where you want to eventually be

just make sure you make the most of it and get out of it what you want
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

and re: "easier to cover an unfilled position," it blows my mind how many high-ranking managerial type positions can go unfilled for months and it's somehow business as usual.

and yet, you get one unskilled labor burger flipper who doesn't show for one shift, and suddenly that McDonalds is no longer a...sorry, pols bored.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:09 am nothing necessarily wrong with selling out if it gets you closer to where you want to eventually be

just make sure you make the most of it and get out of it what you want
No more flipping burgers putting on my silly hat, you know
I don't want that no more
And I didn't ask when we'd get paid
I quit my day job anyway
I guess it doesn't matter
Guess it doesn't matter any moreeeeeeee!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEKbFMvkLIc
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:02 am Japhy gives good advice.
Duh.....even my daughters ask me for career advice. There was a day when they both thought I was full of shit.

My first job out of college was with a poorly run firm with a CEO whose ego issues would rival Elon. It was a shitty job but great experience. After 4 years I quit, having learned everything I could from the people there, and started my own company. 34 years later I am still doing the same damn thing at the same place ever day more or less. Everyone hates their job at least half the time. And yet my career has been more rewarding and fun than I imagined. And if I am being intellectually honest, that was as much a product of luck as it was hard work or intelligence.

What you should be looking for is opportunity. If the job you are looking at offers opportunity to get good experience in something you are interested in or you are good at, go for it. If its pays better and has more/better benefits than where you are currently working; even better for you. Fuck anyone who gives you shit about that.

A job is 8 hours out of your day.. A career is the arc of 2080 hours a year over 40 plus years. If you try to make it mean something, the time will pass a lot faster and you will enjoy it.

Good luck, and remember Solstice is just 6 months away. Put your vacation request in early.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

japhy wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:11 am
Everyone hates their job at least half the time.