Covered Wagon Challenge

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: Covered Wagon Challenge

Post by ousdahl »

One week out!

I’m volunteering to help out another race this morning. I got stuck on parking duty. Once again, I’m amazed at just how awful the average person can be.

With all the race traffic we’re trying to maximize space in the lot, so that would be great if you could just park between the cones like you see everyone els…BUT MAH RIGHTS
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Trying to decide whether to race this winter.

Should I race?

I should prob race.

But to do it right, I’d wanna train, and that means nighttime headlamp sessions after a day of physically demanding work, and my best ski buddy I used to night ski with has since moved.

That means no one out there but me and the wild animals.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Oh yeah - last year I trained my ass off and was in the best ski shape of my life, but then got covid the week of the race and could barely move any more, let alone stay awake for long enough to ski.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

last night’s training sesh I see a small commotion up the trail. It’s an ermine going all predator on a vole.

twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:02 pm Never woulda guessed the T in TDub stood for Tonya
An old girlfriend of mine was the skating double for the actress who played "Tonya" in a Nancy vs. Tonya made for TV movie back in the day.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:12 am last night’s training sesh I see a small commotion up the trail. It’s an ermine going all predator on a vole.

I like that your "training session" includes pulling into the trees to smoke a bowl and stare into the trees.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Bro who do you think I am? Gimme a little credit here.

If I’m serious enough to train for an endurance race you think I’m not serious enough to give my lungs a break from all the bowl smoking?!

That’s why for training weeks I strictly stick to edibles.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

In all seriousness though, I usually don’t even do edibles for training, or solo skiing.

Out there in the woods by yerself, even a cute little ermine is more than enough to get you all paranoid even if you aren’t stoned
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

18th out of 105
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

twocoach wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:33 am
ousdahl wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:12 am last night’s training sesh I see a small commotion up the trail. It’s an ermine going all predator on a vole.

I like that your "training session" includes pulling into the trees to smoke a bowl and stare into the trees.
Actually, I was just cruising along when further up the trail I see some commotion.

This guy scampered off and into the woods a little ways, then turned around to drop the Zoolander pose for the camera.

I continued along the trail and came upon what appeared to be a recently ambushed vole. A furry pile of what used to be some sorta grayish brownish rodent.

I have a pic of that too, but the pic of the prey just wasn’t as photogenic as the predator going all Blue Steel
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:52 pm18th out of 105
Nice
Defense. Rebounds.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

jhawks99 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:56 pm
ousdahl wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:52 pm18th out of 105
Nice
Good job
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

thanks you guys!

during the race I thought of all these insightful things I wanted to post about here.

But now all I can think of is, I think I've gone from being one of the best bad skiers around, to one of the worst good skiers.