Covered Wagon Challenge

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Covered Wagon Challenge

Post by ousdahl »

It’s a ski race! Back for the first time since covid.

I changed the name slightly to make it slightly more difficult for illy to stalk me about it.

I’m also signing up under a pseudonym, so that illy doesn’t show up and sabotage my chances.

But the point is, I get to compete again!

When I first competed 3 years ago, I got something like 50th out of 180 racers. I passed several dozen of the college team student ath-o-letes or whatever in their skin tight race suits, which, as a 30-something who grew up in KS, I felt pretty good about.

now, with the benefit of 3 seasons of practice and coaching and technique development and an actual strict training schedule, I’m going for podium.

I’ll give periodic updates, at least til this thread too turns into petty putdowns and conspiracy peddling.

But I guess my question to you guys is, I should prob wear a costume, right?

I was gonna just wear my BIFM cursive Jayhawks jersey, cuz I think there’s a game that day and everything, but that might make me too easy a target for illy to show up and go all Nancy Kerrigan on me right before the race starts.

So, I’m thinking something with a cape? Cuz that’ll look so badass as I’m flying across the finish line.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: Covered Wagon Challenge

Post by KUTradition »

i believe the more correct phrase would be… “go all Tonya Harding on me”
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

and how old am i? my first thought when reading the thread title was that this has something to do with the Oregon Trail video game of old
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:04 pm and how old am i? my first thought when reading the thread title was that this has something to do with the Oregon Trail video game of old
such bullshit that you can only carry 100lbs of meat from a hunt. Bullshit bullshit bullshit. Take a horse...take a kid...make 5 trips. Im not leaving 1900lbs of Buffalo meat on the plains dammit.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Conestoga
Prarie Schooner
Stage Coach

thats all i got....is this helping?
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Never woulda guessed the T in TDub stood for Tonya
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

TDub wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:36 pm Conestoga
Prarie Schooner
Stage Coach

thats all i got....is this helping?
cholera? snakebite? drowning?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:02 pm Never woulda guessed the T in TDub stood for Tonya
I thought you were looking for Kerrigan.

all I was doing was saying types of covered wagons.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’m just glad the wagon didn’t break an axle while fording a river

Or if an oxen gets bit by a rattlesnake, sheesh!
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Nevermind the ousie, just mule the wagon. Or something.
Defense. Rebounds.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:02 pm Never woulda guessed the T in TDub stood for Tonya
A friend of mine hooked up with Tonya Harding. So gross.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

was his name Joey?
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

just out for an evening sesh when I notice that’s a funny lookin horse

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

For real you guys.

Costume ideas!

Just throw some stuff out there and let’s see what sticks, please and thanks
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’m still thinking something with a cape.

Like a super hero

Or Frank Costanza’s lawyer
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

If youre going for shock value....you should put normal clothes on and trying going as an adult!
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

so who’s got experience buying stuff from random foreign sellers?

I’m looking for a particular replacement part, but so far can only find it on some Scandinavian websites…
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:36 am so who’s got experience buying stuff from random foreign sellers?

I’m looking for a particular replacement part, but so far can only find it on some Scandinavian websites…
I bought a light fixture from as dude in Brussels last year. Between shipping and customs it took 4 months to get it. I hope this part isn't for someone's pacemaker.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:36 am so who’s got experience buying stuff from random foreign sellers?

depending on the value of said item, US customs may require different personal info from the shipper

if the value is less than $2500 (i think) they don’t need anything other than phone number and email address, but many shippers are lazy and will still request DL or SS number
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yea, it’s just a $50 item

But the shipping is $65

And this is also related to the rant about why the F would a ski company market a ski with the wear-prone parts being replaceable, only to discontinue production of the replacement parts a season later.

It’s almost like the real sales strategy all along was manufactured obsolescence