Liberty Bowl vs arKANSAS - Official Gamethread

Kansas Football.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Liberty Bowl vs arKANSAS - Official Gamethread

Post by pdub »

Bean shouldn’t feel that bad though.
He got us the 6th win needed to get us here in the first place against a top 20 team.
Not fair he would have to come in cold but he shoulda finished that play still…yet we wouldn’t have been here without him.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Bean panicked and threw the ball away. It really was an awful play by him.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Sparko wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:57 pm
AlOerter wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:55 pm It was worth a try. It's like having a guy come off the bench cold to hit the game tying 3 pointer.
The early missed two-point conversion prevented KU from trying to win in regulation.
True.
You come back from that you might just go for the W with all the momentum.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Sparko wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:42 pm
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:31 pm Leipold said they ran out of 2 point plays on their sheet. Went with a play that worked a couple of times this year.

Just unfortunate.
Nothing special was needed at that point. Read option to JD.
Lines were kind of getting kicked in on both sides. Tough to do a running play.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

JD in the 2nd half and OTs was like 25-25, 340 and I think 3 TDs. Absurd.

Can’t wait to see him next year start the year as a Heisman contender. He was the best player from halftime on and it wasn’t close.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:48 pm JD in the 2nd half and OTs was like 25-25, 340 and I think 3 TDs. Absurd.

Can’t wait to see him next year start the year as a Heisman contender. He was the best player from halftime on and it wasn’t close.
And yet his stats weren't on the crawler
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

That’s probably going to be the bowl game of the year at least in terms of excitement.

To challenge a team will need to come back from more than 25 down and win in overtime.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

pdub wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:55 pm That’s probably going to be the bowl game of the year at least in terms of excitement.

To challenge a team will need to come back from more than 25 down and win in overtime.
The best one I've watched so far.
shindig

Post by shindig »

What a game. Almost changed the channel when KU was down 15 points I think in the 4th quarter but thought otherwise. Glad I watched it to the end. Amazing comeback, no reason for the players or fans to hang their head, just all out ballsy confidence and some great plays and coaching. RCJH.
Jayhawkerr

Post by Jayhawkerr »

Sparko wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:17 pm
InfiniteJ wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:14 pm Just watched that last play a few times; Bean scores if he runs to the pylon.
It will haunt us. He was so fast. But not as bright as he needed to be.
I feel bad for the kid, he has to live with this. That said, it was not his fault they lost. Turnovers killed them and the defense gave up too many yards and points.
Jayhawkerr

Post by Jayhawkerr »

Coach sounded gutted in the post game presser. Tough loss but so optimistic about the future of the program. These kids fought to the end.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

A loss after such a fight is hard but Bannockburn is ahead. They fought as hard as any team ever has. 25 points. Three OTs against an SEC team that rolled out a surprise defense.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

shindig wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:03 pm What a game. Almost changed the channel when KU was down 15 points I think in the 4th quarter but thought otherwise. Glad I watched it to the end. Amazing comeback, no reason for the players or fans to hang their head, just all out ballsy confidence and some great plays and coaching. RCJH.
Fully shamefully admit I did "change the channel" - actually I turned off the TV.
2022 will always be remembered for the Kansas Basketball and Football teams that had unbelievable comebacks and showed incredible heart in their last game/s.

As far as Bean, he MAY have been able to run it in/to the pylon but come on, how did he not see Fairchild wide open? Those who question why take the ball out of Daniels hand/s, fair to ask but it was a play that would have worked well if it wasn't extremely poorly executed. I feel bad for Bean. Unless he was trying to lose to the game. Which was the first thing I asked myself out loud after I watched the replay.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Bean really blew it. He could not throw it away on a do or die play. But did. Of course it shouldn't have come down to him pissing down his leg. That said, the pros at the Journal World have blown the comeback story for 12 hours with the wrong number. 24-point vice 25-point comeback.

The most impressive take-away for me was Leipold sticking with JD. I would have pulled him after missing key throws to start the second half. I think it was PDub that said he had to play the whole game for confidence and of course he was right. The coaches re-lit the fire.

Another takeaway is the First Half scared shitlessness was a problem this year that needs to go away next season.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:10 am
shindig wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:03 pm What a game. Almost changed the channel when KU was down 15 points I think in the 4th quarter but thought otherwise. Glad I watched it to the end. Amazing comeback, no reason for the players or fans to hang their head, just all out ballsy confidence and some great plays and coaching. RCJH.
Unless he was trying to lose to the game. Which was the first thing I asked myself out loud after I watched the replay.
Some things will never change
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

What are the odds that Bean didn't realize it was a 2-point situation? It looks like he threw the ball away on purpose...like he thought they had four downs to score.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

InfiniteJ wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:07 am What are the odds that Bean didn't realize it was a 2-point situation? It looks like he threw the ball away on purpose...like he thought they had four downs to score.
I wondered that at first too, but his immediate reaction looking at the replay looks like the ball floated/slipped.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

There’s no way he didn’t know.
He just made an awful pass.
He knew the consequences right away, you could see the defeat in his body language.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Oh it absolutely floated on him. I think he about tucked that thing away to run it, thought he couldn't make it, then tried to throw last second and it just sailed.

Don't like the call, but it worked this year, just not there.

Just sucks that the lasting image of Bean in a KU uniform will be basically him in tears walking straight to the locker room after the throw and not the tears he shed when he led KU to the 6th win when he was absolutely great against Oklahoma State.

hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

Crazy game and so much fun. First half and most of the 3rd Qtr we were owned by a football team with like half a roster. Then with the game out of hand and almost for sure over our OC finally decides to go pass first and ARKY decides we got this and go super conservative. One thing for sure is JD is a stud and Casey is my Favorite Player.