Liberty Bowl vs arKANSAS - Official Gamethread

Kansas Football.
NewtonHawk11

Re: Liberty Bowl vs arKANSAS - Official Gamethread

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Another Newell tweet/nugget.. This is too good not to share.

Daniels had 544 yards passing last night.

Daniels led KU in 2020 with 718 passing yards for the season in 7 games.

LOL

Damnit 2023 is going to be fun.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Stupid question time. Can someone offer him a lot of money for him to leave?
Thankfully Prime thinks his kid is going to win the Heisman so we can check CU off the list.

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

There was some chatter of UCLA wanting him but they got a good QB recruit. And he’s a LA kid.

Being a P5 clear starter at QB is great recognition and he’s getting decent NIL money, I believe.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

I'm excited about the offense next year.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

InfiniteJ wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:10 pm I'm excited about the offense next year.
Same, especially if Hishaw can come back healthy. He really looked like a guy who could be an NFL caliber RB before his injury. Add some OL depth and a few additional WR/TE talents and that side of the ball is looking elite.

The other side of the ball is looking like the anchor around the team's ankles and will define what their ceiling is as a team.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

If Emporia State had a football team, they would run no huddle on Kansas. New scheme covering the edges in quick tempo needed.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Sparko wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:54 pm If Emporia State had a football team, they would run no huddle on Kansas. New scheme covering the edges in quick tempo needed.
And a few quicker linebackers that can get out to those edges quicker would help, too. But man, it sure was fun to see KU out there battling like that against an SEC team in a bowl game. Just highlights the trajectory of the program. I was really worried that a blowout would dampen some of their momentum in the offseason but all returning players should be tremendously encouraged by how that played out.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Really the goal of the bowl season is to be entertaining. Man. Accomplished
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

rcjhku, m'fers
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Well that was fun, even though the really poor start took a lot of energy out of our side of the stadium.

The hole was dug mostly by the offense and, really, Jalon Daniels. He was really bad, enough to be benched in a regular season game, and then really good obviously. Bad reads, bad throws, fumbles.

Then Morrison's muffed kick return--as a RB, he's in there to make the right decisions, not to take one to the house, and it was poor execution. Arkansas was kicking with the wind in the first quarter and their first two kickoffs sailed over Sevion's head. So, on the next one, he immediately took a step backwards and he was messed up from there. That said, the kick was abnormally high (probably couldn't see it on TV), and it just died in the air and fell short, almost like a back spin shot in golf.

The muffed kickoff and Daniels's first quarter interception in the red zone is 14 points. So, while I would normally say that this game was lost in the 1st quarter, I truly believe we win that game with different overtime rules. Right now they are worse than a soccer shootout. The 3rd overtime on does not resemble football. Neither do the 1st or 2nd overtimes, but not as bad as the 3rd and on.

Because of the bowl rules, we brought basically every player in the program. Yet, we just don't have the personnel. That's an SEC squad across the field and our front defensive 7 is tiny by Power 5 standards. Almost no one on here actually goes to the games, so I suggest getting to a game, sitting on the 50ish yard line, and look at the line play. Manhandled. With the extra rest, we were packaging personnel on different downs for the entire front 4--something we haven't done the whole season. The 2nd down unit was even tinier than the 1st down unit. No penetration. No chance at tackling their huge QB. Lonnie Phelps is a nice player, but every P5 team has several Lonnie Phelps. Recruit and develop.

Fans were tremendous(ly drunk) the two days I was there. Allen Fieldhouse is great, but go to a road game where you know a lot of KU fans will be there. Nothing like it. Champions Classic, Final Four, Bowl Game, just get to one.

More thoughts on it, but that's enough for one post.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:37 pm I hate the end zone paint.
I guess I should have expected it, but I've never been to a game that was so tied to the US military. Pregame, every timeout, all military related. That's fine and all, just unexpected by me, at least.

Odd seeing Arkansas's end zone in KU colors.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:43 am Well that was fun, even though the really poor start took a lot of energy out of our side of the stadium.

The hole was dug mostly by the offense and, really, Jalon Daniels. He was really bad, enough to be benched in a regular season game, and then really good obviously. Bad reads, bad throws, fumbles.

Then Morrison's muffed kick return--as a RB, he's in there to make the right decisions, not to take one to the house, and it was poor execution. Arkansas was kicking with the wind in the first quarter and their first two kickoffs sailed over Sevion's head. So, on the next one, he immediately took a step backwards and he was messed up from there. That said, the kick was abnormally high (probably couldn't see it on TV), and it just died in the air and fell short, almost like a back spin shot in golf.

The muffed kickoff and Daniels's first quarter interception in the red zone is 14 points. So, while I would normally say that this game was lost in the 1st quarter, I truly believe we win that game with different overtime rules. Right now they are worse than a soccer shootout. The 3rd overtime on does not resemble football. Neither do the 1st or 2nd overtimes, but not as bad as the 3rd and on.

Because of the bowl rules, we brought basically every player in the program. Yet, we just don't have the personnel. That's an SEC squad across the field and our front defensive 7 is tiny by Power 5 standards. Almost no one on here actually goes to the games, so I suggest getting to a game, sitting on the 50ish yard line, and look at the line play. Manhandled. With the extra rest, we were packaging personnel on different downs for the entire front 4--something we haven't done the whole season. The 2nd down unit was even tinier than the 1st down unit. No penetration. No chance at tackling their huge QB. Lonnie Phelps is a nice player, but every P5 team has several Lonnie Phelps. Recruit and develop.

Fans were tremendous(ly drunk) the two days I was there. Allen Fieldhouse is great, but go to a road game where you know a lot of KU fans will be there. Nothing like it. Champions Classic, Final Four, Bowl Game, just get to one.

Awesome post, thanks for that. I fully agree on the line play. KU is just too undersized and not deep enough to be able to impose their will against an SEC team, even a mediocre SEC team. I hope they are able to show that next step in their progression next year and start to draw some higher level talent to their roster.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:43 am Well that was fun, even though the really poor start took a lot of energy out of our side of the stadium.

Thanks for the descriptions. I could tell that our line just got outmatched all game. OL did a fine enough job pass blocking, but couldn't move Arkansas when run blocking and the KU DL couldn't do anything either. While Arkansas lost a few guys, they still have recruited in the top 25 of the last like 3-4 classes. And you could tell their depth on the lines specifically really showed.

Maybe it's because the fans were right under the cameras, but KU fans seemed enthusiastic all game long, minus that stretch in the 1st half. Arkansas fans just seemed like they were there for a nice stroll.

Still damn proud to be a Jayhawk fan 2 days after the fact.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Our fans were great, but it's a little weird when you're sitting opposite of each other, so you hear the other side better than your own side.

My biggest criticism of the staff in this game was how nervous we were coming out. Even out of the tunnel, they looked a little flat. Should have been no nerves at all.

Arkansas fans were very mouthy in the concourse at halftime, things like we didn't belong on the same field. So pretty nice to shut them up a little.
nu_bronco

Post by nu_bronco »

I was at the game also. I agree the line play difference was huge. The hurry up/no substitutions really hurt our defense like we saw most of the season. We need bigger, stronger and faster defensive lineman. We also need to make sure they are well conditioned. I hope we land lots of defensive playmakers in the upcoming recruiting class. Linemen and linebackers, we need better depth and better young players to develop.

There were a good chunk of fans that left early but our section was pretty good. Lots of fans cheering and trying to provide energy. We had a guy that shaved 'Rock Chalk' in his back hair, and KU in his chest hair. I do agree that sitting opposite the other team it is hard to judge how loud each side is. To me it always seemed their side was louder but when our side was cheering it was always sounded loud. The Arkansas fans I talked with were all good sports cheering for their team while being civil. The s-e-c chant from their side when the score was within two scores was very misery'ish.

Great to see the fan turnout. Great to see the team play hard until the end. Great game that ended not quite as storybook as us KU fans would have liked.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Good posts. Even on television Arkansas looked big. I thought they would tire. Not so much. Really disappointed how nervous the team was. Also, it just figured that KU would face yet another talented, large and strong QB. Easily the only thing that kept Arkansas ahead.
nu_bronco

Post by nu_bronco »

Replay of the game is on SEC network right now. Started at 9:59.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

We have all been bitching about the defense all year, but my God the playoff teams just gave up big play after big play. It was almost like the networks wanted to repeat the Liberty Bowl for the marquee games. Hmmm.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Sparko wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:36 pm We have all been bitching about the defense all year, but my God the playoff teams just gave up big play after big play. It was almost like the networks wanted to repeat the Liberty Bowl for the marquee games. Hmmm.
Yeah, I thought about this after the CFP and the Kansas State game. Scoring in the 40's is just college football. The defenses have always been bad. And then you wonder if a rule change(s) is needed.

e.g. the clock rules are abysmal. Games take way too long and leads to more scoring and more stoppages.
Last edited by CrimsonNBlue on Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I agree that football in general takes way too long.

I'd take out the clock stopping on first downs/out of bounds.
Clock starts immediately once the markers are set, no matter what, no matter when.
Eliminate all booth and automatic replays. Each coach gets two challenges and can challenge any call in the game at anytime. And then that's it.