Liberty Bowl vs arKANSAS - Official Gamethread

Kansas Football.
Sparko
Contributor

Re: Liberty Bowl vs arKANSAS - Official Gamethread

Post by Sparko »

Ratings are way up, ironically driven higher by the rabid Big 12 fan base. The games really pay off for sponsors. I am not sure how many guaranteed life insurance commercials they get, but I have a feeling it is a nebulous target made ever more lucrative by long close games. The Liberty Bowl sponsors achieved a huge bonanza as the game got later and later. Kansas teams seem to be a real bonus for incredible drama lately, delighting sponsors. So I don't see them speeding up the games at all. One safety rule change needs to be implemented: take away the no-huddle until the last two-minutes of a half, and force each play to be ferried in from the sideline. That would limit the number of plays and force teams to play football instead of simply running over gasping kids.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

no-huddle is part of the game

i don’t think you should limit it’s use
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

No-huddle means 80-100 plays a game with many injuries. The math on it is pretty simple: run players into the ground and then put in the next wave=favored few athlete hoarding schools winning a lot more. Maybe Brady plays at that level. For the reason of the math, I don't think it will ever go away. But its removal would actually speed up the game. The rules discussed earlier are easily exploited by teams never pausing.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Sparko wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:26 am Ratings are way up, ironically driven higher by the rabid Big 12 fan base.
What? I’m quite certain that tv ratings are down compared to the hey day of the 80’s-early 00’s for CFB. Unless they might be up compared to the last few years. Too many entertainment options now.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:31 am no-huddle is part of the game

i don’t think you should limit it’s use
Yeah, but just stop stopping the clock.

And the no huddle does make teams fake or exaggerate injuries. Kind of like premier league soccer.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:41 am
Sparko wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:26 am Ratings are way up, ironically driven higher by the rabid Big 12 fan base.
What? I’m quite certain that tv ratings are down compared to the hey day of the 80’s-early 00’s for CFB. Unless they might be up compared to the last few years. Too many entertainment options now.
This year Big 12 ratings were way up in some non-select gametimes. 365 sports made it seem like the rising tide raised all boats.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Sparko wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:10 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:41 am
This year Big 12 ratings were way up in some non-select gametimes. 365 sports made it seem like the rising tide raised all boats.
I think all cfb ratings are all way down compared to the hey day, but I bet the money is bigger now. Ads are expensive. So, your larger point probably stands.