A.I.

Coffee talk.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: A.I.

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ChatGPT is going to be banned in schools faster than TikTok.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i’m actually shocked it hasn’t been already
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:16 am i’m actually shocked it hasn’t been already
New York State this week was the first to ban it. I would think college campuses are next. And then will need to input tech on campuses to detect it.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

I use it many times a day at work. It's wayyy better than Google, which seo has destroyed.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

That's not going to stop students from using it to "assist LOL" write their papers that are homework assignments/off campus.

Apparently a guy wrote an app to detect ChatGPT but now the curious thing is, will the people at ChatGPT further train it to not be detected.

I'd say that is morally irresponsible but that it wildly subjective.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

pdub wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:52 am Apparently a guy wrote an app to detect ChatGPT but now the curious thing is, will the people at ChatGPT further train it to not be detected.
and i was about to make a joke about a new arms race…
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Mjl wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:13 am
KUTradition wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:03 am a lot of people, art aside, are bound to loose their jobs to programmers

we’re gonna have to have a global base income, because there isn’t going to be enough work left for everyone (if humanity makes it that far)
People have been saying this kind of thing with every technological advances and it usually creates more jobs than it eliminates. Yeah, there are more people with desk jobs and less manual laborers than 200 years ago. I don't see why that's a bad thing.
Agreed. Jobs wont be lost, they will just be moved to other professions. Switchboard operators of old are now working in cell phone company Customer Care call centers. People who built rotary phones decades ago are now building cell phones or towers. Where some jobs fade away, other new jobs are created. People just have to be careful not to get themselves into a dying market unless they are OK with career hopping.

If technical advancements lead to inevitable unemployment spikes then we'd see a dramatic rising of unemployment since they first began to attempt to create an unemployment rate metric decades ago but we simply haven't. With as much money as there is flowing through the nation, there will always be more work available than there is capable, trained labor to do it all.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:14 am ChatGPT is going to be banned in schools faster than TikTok.
I have no idea what that is.
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:14 am ChatGPT is going to be banned in schools faster than TikTok.
Good luck with that.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/1/4/23538 ... ompetition

"Microsoft is reportedly planning to launch a version of Bing that uses ChatGPT to answer search queries. The Information reports that Microsoft hopes to launch the new feature before the end of March in a bid to make Bing more competitive with Google."
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

KUInfo needs to get on that horse lol
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:08 am
https://www.theverge.com/2022/12/8/2349 ... ialization
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Apparently you can give it instructions and it will spit out an essay. That's probably a complete oversimplification but gives you an idea.

But, if you think about it, that's still more effort than Rashad McCants made in order to graduate summa cum laude from UNC.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"Agreed. Jobs wont be lost, they will just be moved to other professions."

Which is kind of my point in the original post.
Artists jobs are going to be lost in the short term and then 'moved' to other professions that quite simply are less artistic.

Telling a computer to generate an ink drawing in the style of Mike Mignola of a vampire bat and then scrolling through 1000 of them and picking one is barely artistic.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:13 am
But, if you think about it, that's still more effort than Rashad McCants made in order to graduate summa cum laude from UNC.
POTD
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:13 am
Apparently you can give it instructions and it will spit out an essay. That's probably a complete oversimplification but gives you an idea.

there was an npr bit on the technology a couple days ago. i think you actually over-complicated it. during the segment the reporter merely asked it to produce a story about a given topic…there was very little detailed instruction of memory serves

i’ll see if i can find the story
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Currently Adobe has, in their default settings, any content created through their programs if you their cloud, the right to input your methods and end result into their ML model.

Adobe also pushes you to save your content to the cloud rather than locally.
I've stopped saving to the cloud.

It's shit like this that is unnerving - that the defaults are to mine your data.
It's also why I bounced out of all social media platforms, except for clean developer accounts, back in 2012.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

and kcrim
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i’ve got a local, hard copy of Adobe CS5 that i still use because i refuse to adopt the cloud platform
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

kcrim doesn't even use the latest version of google analytics so you're safe here.