A.I.

Coffee talk.
Mjl

Re: A.I.

Post by Mjl »

https://twitter.com/Austen/status/16691 ... 72128?s=20

I don't know. Coding is already, at least at my org, a very small part of the job. It's all figuring out how your app is a little different than all the cookie cutter stuff and how to handle that. I've spent the last week dealing with nothing but trying to figure out what I need to change with all the cookie cutter stuff for GitHub Actions and K8s. No code, unless you count Dockerfiles and yaml as code.

Yes, completely anecdotal and mostly me just complaining.

I think what I'm getting at is solutions for cookie cutter stuff already exist. The parts that are different I think AI is a long way off from being able to solve.

Also, none of this relates to the art-related concerns, which are more real currently.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I just think, with the way this is progressing, most of that will be handled from learning from existing code bases and even having A.I. ask the creator more pertinent questions when they start moving down a particular rabbit hole.

And once that base is built you'll have a dev touch it up rather than fully implement.

Revisit this thread in five years.

And unless legislation is passed, concept artists, web designers, photographers, copywriters, storyboarders, and even animators/motion designers, will see the job market dry up in those five years as well.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Ousdahl’s zone!

Believe it or not, I’m not anti-work.

I’m anti-exploitation, which is what so many wage-earners in a capitalist system tend to be. I’m also anti-thinking of human beings as just another commodity. (The most wretched of commodities, as that dood from ZZ Top put it)

If technology gets to the point that we don’t need humans to labor 40 hours a week (often more), and often just to survive, then humans shouldn’t have to labor that much.

And let’s distinguish “labor,” for the sake of this post, as some sort of wage-seeking economic activity. Cuz I think humans should work, but more be able to work in pursuit of their passions - art, literature, music, hobbies, curiosities, and such.

What a fucked up world it’ll be if we instead expect humans to keep laboring for survival while we create the art and poetry and such with goddamn robots instead.

(There’s a Qusdahl meme like “I’m less intrigued by the power of Einstein’s brain, and more intrigued by the idea that there are brains out there even more powerful than Einstein’s that’ll never realize their potential cuz they’re too busy having to labor instead)

I also think - and this point REALLY gets under my dad Michhawk’s skin - maybe if we had to work less, we could spend more time with loved ones…gasp!

On one hand, I don’t think any of what I just said is controversial. But on the other, this is all the kind of kooky commie anti-Mercian bullshit so offensive that mjl would rather ignore.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Re: laboring 40 hours a week, that comes from a time when the norm was single income households, and folks tended to have “homemakers” to take care of all the stuff besides laboring, but go figure now the norm is more multiple income households just so families don’t freeze or starve to death

And it also comes from a time of slightly more equitable distribution of wealth, not like now when like 6 evil rich people possess more wealth than like 300 million Americans combined

Tho that’s pretty pols boredy
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Grammy awards say no to AI.
Hopefully all the major award categories follow.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

pdub wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:41 am Grammy awards say no to AI.
Hopefully all the major award categories follow.
How long before anything creative that doesn't include AI is considered quaint ?

quaint: adjective, pleasingly or strikingly old-fashioned or unfamiliar
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

https://www.thewrap.com/return-to-time- ... rris-poll/

maybe wrong thread.

but....glad im not alone
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'm not there but give me tech circa 2007 and then freeze it there.
Just before the iPhone.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:16 pm best use of AI i’ve seen

https://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/steve-b ... elebrities
Those are great.
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

No wonder DeeSantis is going after Disney?

https://twitter.com/TwilightFan938/stat ... wsrc%5Etfw
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

my fucking God

is there anything more frustrating than when you call a customer service department and they force you to use their chat bot to "fix your issue"

oh I found you an article that might help, shall I send it to you?

No motherfucker....let me talk to a fucking human. I can google and read my own fucking articles. Fuck you.

2 hrs and counting this morning.....all for an accounting service I already paid for but they cancelled....and they don't know why, nor can they fix it.
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:51 am my fucking God

is there anything more frustrating than when you call a customer service department and they force you to use their chat bot to "fix your issue"

oh I found you an article that might help, shall I send it to you?

No motherfucker....let me talk to a fucking human. I can google and read my own fucking articles. Fuck you.

2 hrs and counting this morning.....all for an accounting service I already paid for but they cancelled....and they don't know why, nor can they fix it.
Yep, I hate it. No thanks I do not want to peruse your articles about problems that are not mine.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

how do I contact Google play services? anyone know? Ive tried about 750 different phone numbers. All I've gotten so far is 3 different companies all pointing the finger at the other companies and 0 answers. Im about to snap and lose my shit.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Sarah Silverman and others suing meta and OpenAI for unapproved use of material used for training
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

I was driving down 6th today, and let someone in that was badly trying to merge. Basic common courtesy on the streets.

No appreciative gesture or anything. That behavior was a Midwest staple (and prevalent in Denver, too, at least for a bit). Seems to be going bye-bye. As is people letting you out of parking spots (or-backing out on Mass St.). I honestly remember people almost always stopping at letting cars backing out get out.

It made me curious if AI is going to program itself to let one car in sometimes, which once was standard practice.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:14 am how do I contact Google play services? anyone know? Ive tried about 750 different phone numbers. All I've gotten so far is 3 different companies all pointing the finger at the other companies and 0 answers. Im about to snap and lose my shit.
I hear you.

Not nearly as serious as a business problem but... I got hacked on FB a couple of weeks ago and not because of my personal account which I often ignored for weeks or months at a time, but because I'm the sole admin of a group with hundreds of people, I wanted to get it back.

Two days and many hours later I gave up because their algos weren't any help, and there was absolutely no way to get past them to talk or chat online with anyone.

Good luck.

Researching the problem, I came upon a FB veterans group with > 10,000 members that got hacked, and their account was sold online to someone in Morocco. They managed to contact the person their account had been sold to, who was like-give it your best shot, but what happened is the fault of the hacker, and me buying it isn't against the law here.

After months and months they found someone who had access to someone at FB who worked in FB's advertising dept., and once the Veteran group's admins agreed to buy advertising from FB, they were able to get their account back.
Anand Giridharadas
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Mrs 99's FB got hacked, they posted some horrific pics that I don't want to think about on her wall. Never did get to a human, she ended up deleting the account.
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:28 pm Mrs 99's FB got hacked, they posted some horrific pics that I don't want to think about on her wall. Never did get to a human, she ended up deleting the account.
I wish I could "delete" my account. Instead, it's till there.

They changed my email to theirs as the account holder, and deleted my phone #. So, every Algo to "help" me recover my account inevitably, (after hours and hours trying alternatives), came down to them sending "me" a code, to the hacker's email, to reset my password...
Anand Giridharadas
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Feral wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:33 pm
jhawks99 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:28 pm Mrs 99's FB got hacked, they posted some horrific pics that I don't want to think about on her wall. Never did get to a human, she ended up deleting the account.
I wish I could "delete" my account. Instead, it's till there.

They changed my email to theirs as the account holder, and deleted my phone #. So, every Algo to "help" me recover my account inevitably, (after hours and hours trying alternatives), came down to them sending "me" a code, to the hacker's email, to reset my password...
Actually, now that I think about it, that is how ours went too. The hacker changed the email address, then the FB password and posted kids on her FB. I reported it and FB deleted the account. We never did hear from them.
Defense. Rebounds.