A.I.

Coffee talk.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: A.I.

Post by Shirley »

Mjl wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:30 am Yeah, I mean, that almost goes without saying. This thread is 12 pages about the threats of AI. The threats are seemingly all you hear about in the media.

The part that's rarely discussed is how much good AI can do if done safely (and if that's possible).

None of these non-profits would be pursuing it if it wasn't capable of doing a ton of good.
Sadly, if it doesn't bleed, it doesn't lede.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

My approach to AI is to ignore it as much as possible, hope the good outweighs the bad, and be grateful to have been born when I was so I didn't have to deal with it as long in my life as I might have had to otherwise...i.e., denial.

This video isn't all about AI, so I searched for a better example and even followed the link in the video's comments, and still didn't find a better example. So, if you want to skip forward to the AI part, skip ahead to 1:24. The eyelash extender robot at 2:28 is pretty amazing, too.

https://youtu.be/z1SOw3diVh4
Anand Giridharadas
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

I don't know how old you are, but AI has probably been around since you were born.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Sure mjl.
And I respect you a million.
And I live in the world of object v modular v classes.
But it’s different these last two years.

It really is.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Feral wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:29 am My approach to AI is to ignore it as much as possible, hope the good outweighs the bad, and be grateful to have been born when I was so I didn't have to deal with it as long in my life as I might have had to otherwise...i.e., denial.

This video isn't all about AI, so I searched for a better example and even followed the link in the video's comments, and still didn't find a better example. So, if you want to skip forward to the AI part, skip ahead to 1:24. The eyelash extender robot at 2:28 is pretty amazing, too.

https://youtu.be/z1SOw3diVh4
I think im still in the denial phase...but moving towards the old man yelling at a cloud anger phase.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Respect you a million?
Too many G and Ts.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Mjl wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:04 pm I don't know how old you are, but AI has probably been around since you were born.

I think Shirley is about the same age as me. If AI was around when I was born, only the aliens had it.
Defense. Rebounds.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Goldman Sachs predicts 300 million jobs lost to AI.
Just Ledoux it
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I predict Goldman Sachs replaced by AI.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

jhawks99 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:59 am
Mjl wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:04 pm I don't know how old you are, but AI has probably been around since you were born.

I think Shirley is about the same age as me. If AI was around when I was born, only the aliens had it.
1965 is generally considered the start.

To pdub's point - it's different now. But I think we're not quite yet at as steep of an upward trajectory as it seems others are thinking right now. But who the hell knows. The experts don't have any consensus.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I assumed it was closer to 1980.

65 is still after I was born
Defense. Rebounds.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

You don't seem a day past 50.

(Intended as corny compliment... though it seems patronizing and perhaps even insulting... oh well)

Anyway - I think the thing that's going to hold AI back we're already starting to see. When unleashed on the general population, it gets trained by the general population (as well as, eventually, itself). And the general population, much like social media, is possibly going to make it stupider.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

And meaner.
Defense. Rebounds.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Mjl wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:23 pm You don't seem a day past 50.

(Intended as corny compliment... though it seems patronizing and perhaps even insulting... oh well)

Anyway - I think the thing that's going to hold AI back we're already starting to see. When unleashed on the general population, it gets trained by the general population (as well as, eventually, itself). And the general population, much like social media, is possibly going to make it stupider.
https://youtu.be/BdPmNM0IF7Y
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Nature (the journal) says no to generative AI images and video
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"The Writers Guild of America, which called for the strike, says writers want more regulation of AI. For example, bans on studios using it to write or rewrite things like stories, treatments and screenplays or even write the source material that human writers would adapt for the screen. They also don't want the writers' work to be used to train AI."

https://www.npr.org/2023/05/20/11773668 ... aced-by-ai
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Today In: #reassuring

The AI feedback loop: Researchers warn of ‘model collapse’ as AI trains on AI-generated content

As a generative AI training model is exposed to more AI-generated data, it performs worse, producing more errors, leading to model collapse...

The age of generative AI is here: only six months after OpenAI‘s ChatGPT burst onto the scene, as many as half the employees of some leading global companies are already using this type of technology in their workflows, and many other companies are rushing to offer new products with generative AI built in.

But, as those following the burgeoning industry and its underlying research know, the data used to train the large language models (LLMs) and other transformer models underpinning products such as ChatGPT, Stable Diffusion and Midjourney comes initially from human sources — books, articles, photographs and so on — that were created without the help of artificial intelligence.

Now, as more people use AI to produce and publish content, an obvious question arises: What happens as AI-generated content proliferates around the internet, and AI models begin to train on it, instead of on primarily human-generated content?

..."In other words: as an AI training model is exposed to more AI-generated data, it performs worse over time, producing more errors in the responses and content it generates, and producing far less non-erroneous variety in its responses."

[...]

This is the AI version of groupthink.
Anand Giridharadas