pdub
Site Admin

Re: A.I.

Post by pdub »

AI playing telephone
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

It's just like people but worse. It can't tell the difference between a good source of information and a bad one when it goes out into the real world.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

So exactly what I said in my last post
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

So exactly what I said in my last post
Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

But speaking of shit content from AI and loops, ideally artists/creators get the ability, via laws passed in Congress, to protect themselves from unwillingly feeding models, and current models using unwilling participants would have to be cleaned and reset.

You would need good artists to opt in to train/re-train which likely would mean AI wouldn't be able to create quality enough content off the backs of people who wanted no part of it.

i.e. digital files could be marked with a, yes, this content is available to be used in an AI model, feel free to add to your library, or, b, no, gtfo we don't want to continue to funnel the stream of money to the already rich, and all models libraries would need to be open ( not the code of course, just the data being used ) to search, which then could result in liability for using unapproved content.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Today I booked a single day animation gig.
The client is using generative AI as a base photo for the background of the animation.
This means a photographer who won't get paid from either a custom shoot or, at least a stock purchase.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Is the problem with that the fact that it's tech putting someone out of a job, or specifically that it's putting an artist out of a job?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Some of both but more the latter.
We shouldn’t use computers to take away creative jobs.
Prompting a machine is not creative.

( countering with something like computer animation is baseless because that is a tool - I work in 3D - what is happening here is far different - there is no process - hence why so many artists are upset ).
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

“A 1080x1080 image of a couple standing in front of an apple orchard.”

“Make her hair longer.”

“Add more clouds.”

Then they pick from 10 of those.

FML. It’s a nightmare hellscape.

And of course this is an opinion. I cannot be convinced a computer can actually be creative because I link creativity to the soul.

And on top of that, this image was created from a collection of photographs scraped from the web from photographers who had no say whether they wanted to be part of it.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

pdub wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:53 pm Some of both but more the latter.
We shouldn’t use computers to take away creative jobs.
Prompting a machine is not creative.

( countering with something like computer animation is baseless because that is a tool - I work in 3D - what is happening here is far different - there is no process - hence why so many artists are upset ).
I wouldn't counter with that - your point is fair
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

What if AI only puts average-or-worse artists out of a job?

Your point about it coming from the soul resonates with me. But my initial thought is that there's always a place for those that create something great from the soul. Those who just like art and do it for work because that's what their degree was? They're fucked. But there will be a place somewhere for those that have what machines don't (a soul).
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

so AI is like a ginger artist?
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If it puts average artists/designers out of a job that’s still like 300,000 to 500,000 jobs lost in the US alone.

What do they do now? Maintain the machines? Making sure the thing that took away the thing you loved doing can continue to do that? Hellscape.

And then apply that to developers which I think it will also do the same thing to ( average developers ).
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

pdub wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:04 am If it puts average artists/designers out of a job that’s still like 300,000 to 500,000 jobs lost in the US alone.

What do they do now? Maintain the machines? Making sure the thing that took away the thing you loved doing can continue to do that? Hellscape.

And then apply that to developers which I think it will also do the same thing to ( average developers ).
If they don't mind moving to Florida, I hear there will be a plethora of jobs available in the agricultural industry, especially after July 1st.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Who wants to move to Florida?
Hellscape.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

pdub wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:18 am Who wants to move to Florida?
Hellscape.
Your most cogent post, ever.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

pdub wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:04 am If it puts average artists/designers out of a job that’s still like 300,000 to 500,000 jobs lost in the US alone.

At some point we need to rethink work. And I am the least "no work" or whatever you call it person there is. But the happy path with AI is that productivity is increased so much that we only need to work a very limited number of hours. And you start talking UBI. I'm anti-UBI right now, but if AI is so good that it puts most devs out of work, we'll have more resources and productivity than we know what to do with.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Now we're getting into Ousdahl's zone.

But in say 5 years ( I think a reasonable timeline ) you can talk to a bot and design and build your app on your own in a day and then mayyybe you hire a dev to make minor changes, ( bc in my mind, that's probably all it would take ), that's cleaning out UI/UX, designers and developers. They'll be clawing for that work.

And now you're saturating the market with terrible ideas ( because finally everyone can build their own app! ) but with functional design and data structure.

So it'll be like Tik Tok of apps and content.