moving from hypothetical to facts/commiments

Coffee talk.
japhy
Contributor

moving from hypothetical to facts/commiments

Post by japhy »

So let’s get even less hypothetical and more matter of facts….

There are 10 yurts ($110/night) and 4 quonsets ($125/night) on the Frontier site. If we rent all of these units for two days we can pretty much ask for whatever we want on the big screen those two nights. I will work that out with the owners. I have a meeting with them in the next two weeks and can bring it up with them at that time.

The dates of July 31 and Aug 1 for the “super moon” are available, and while we could have the event on different nights, coordination with a different “super moon” this year is not an option.

These dates leave the rest of the week for you and your companions to decompress from the intense experience of meeting Gutter in the flesh. And if you were going to take a summer vacation this year there is no more beautiful place then the San Luis Valley of Colorado and the surrounding area. Hot springs, rock climbing, the largest sand dunes in North America.

The yurts and quonsets will be available for future Solstices as well on a first come first serve basis, but once the hipsters from Denver find out about our secret place the price will go up and reservations will fill up earlier and earlier. The future of the place is as an upscale destination wedding and corporate retreat site.

Bonus deal, dinner cooked in the snack bar by a celebrity chef team made up of your imaginary internet friends.

So far the “for sure” list is “japhy” and “defix” and “newtongirl” and “jhawks99” and “Overlander”. That is 5 out of the 14 commitments it would take to fill that shit up. So that leaves 9 more to step up and declare their intentions to make this shit happen. If there are more than 9 who want to come, I will give up my quonset as I have a big blue couch I can sleep on in the Spud Lounge. There are also plenty of rooms to rent in the nearby towns of Monte Vista and Del Norte but they won’t be much cheaper if at all and if’n you are comin’ yous will be sorry if you don’t get a room at the Frontier Drive Inn.

sQuirt and Randy, mich; don’t be shy. You know you wanna come and make new friends as well. The Empire is a “no animosity zone”. I may bitch slap Ousdahl like he is the smug know-it-all son I never had on here. But when he shows up in the valley we take him under our collective wing and nurture him and give him the positive reinforcement he may need to make something of himself. Cuz this place is all about Jayhawk love baby.

Will you be part of making this happen?
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: moving from hypothetical to facts/commiments

Post by pdub »

I'd love to but i'm in that "can't do fun away trips without the fam" for the next few years zone.
And this one looks smack dab in the work week along with smack dab in the best time to stay where I live.

Someone live blog it.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I ain't sharing a yurt with ousie
Defense. Rebounds.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

What if I prefer Big Blue over a yurt?
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Im considering this. In your vision, what is the minimum age that this would be appropriate for? Will there be females/wives around?
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Overlander wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:33 pm What if I prefer Big Blue over a yurt?
I don't know what the status of the RV park at the Frontier Drive-in is at this point, but there's plenty of room to park yours out there.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

DrPepper wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:19 am Im considering this. In your vision, what is the minimum age that this would be appropriate for? Will there be females/wives around?
Wisky's plan includes bringing the whole family as apart of a family adventure. There is lots for the kids to do, the valley is an outdoor activity and nature lovers mecca. There will be wives and there will be kids. Every kid loves a drive in regardless of what's on the screen. Last summer during events we had random vehicles with kids drive up and the kids all got out of the cars and played on the lawn for about 30 minutes in the grass and then they drove off. We seriously have the most lush acre of grass in the whole valley there and it is a source of wonder. Multiples of us no longer have kids at home but will be bringing our wives. It will not be a sausage fest.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

defixione wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:29 am I don't know what the status of the RV park at the Frontier Drive-in is at this point, but there's plenty of room to park yours out there.
At of the end of the season last year the underground plumbing was not in place for RVs. Not sure of their schedule on that as their push this year seems to be to get the Center Theater up and running. And even if the did intend to do the RV hookups, everything is on "valley time" so best to assume you will be staying in a yurt or a quonset. At $110/night the yurts are a bargain for Colorado. The hotels in Deep Norte 12 miles away are more expensive and half of the motels in Monte Vista are as well. The nearest campground is in Penitente Canyon. They have a beautiful view but they are primitive and you need to haul in your own water.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Overlander wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:33 pm What if I prefer Big Blue over a yurt?
Book a yurt, there will be a raffle when you get there to win a night on Big Blue.

Blue is right in front of the east facing windows in the Spud Lounge now. Daybreak is about 5:45 that time of year. Be prepared for an early morning start if you sleep in the Spud Lounge.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Yeah, if this is a real thing and it works out in my calendar, I am down for it.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Mr and Mrs Overlander are solid.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

This looks doable to me. I see the Yurts are not bookable yet. Are you going to hold me one?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Looks like their site only books six months out.

PS-Dibs on a steel structure
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Overlander wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:03 am Looks like their site only books six months out.

Can you share the link to where you are looking at the bookings? I seem to have missed an explanation as to where specifically this is. Thanks!
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

japhysSLVparadise.com
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

twocoach wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:47 am
Overlander wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:03 am Looks like their site only books six months out.

Can you share the link to where you are looking at the bookings? I seem to have missed an explanation as to where specifically this is. Thanks!
https://www.frontierdriveinn.com

I had checked it when I started this nonsense and the website seemed to be working fine. I actually tried to book a room last night and it came up that they couldn't book rooms that far out. I suspect we can get a work around on that. I can call Luke and see what can be done.

But first, can we get a head count?

I already listed 5 that are all in. I need a head account of who wants to fill the last 9 spots. I realize everyone is not able to plan their summer out 6 months in advance. My reality is I have to plan my summer out or some shit won't happen. In addition to the things I have already listed there are always invitations that come in a week or two before an event saying, "holy shit, this is happening next week, can you drop everything and come out and be involved?". I always figure out how to get involved cuz that's what I love doing. Anything I can tie down early in the year makes my summer less hectic.

If we can get 9 more sure things to raise their hands on here this week I will talk to Luke and push for an early sign in for those dates or just get him to agree to hold the place for us completely for two days. If others want to get on board later, there are numerous other options for places to stay nearby that you can pick up near last minute and I can help direct you to those. So those who need to wait aren't out, they just won't be able to sleep at the Frontier. Having the entire Frontier booked with our people is a key to making this thing happen in a big way.

If we can't really get 14 people signed up to do this, that's OK as well. I will won't do any more planning and will move on with the planning for Solstice 2023. We might be able to do this next year at the Frontier, but I have a feeling the cost will be much higher.

So japhy, Defixione, Overlander, Jahwks99, Newtongirl are all in. That gits us to 5. Feral and Fenton, I know you too are out there lurking, speak up. You can text me Fenton and I will post it for you since your seem to bee too old to figure out how to log onto a message board anymore.

Who is #6, #7, #8....?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Count me in. I'll make it work. Will probably invite a buddy from Manitou Springs if it works in his schedule as well.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’m obviously down to visit the empire (again), but can’t commit just yet, with this new job’s busy season being the summer and all, so prob a game time decision for me.

Fortunately, only being like a 4 hour drive away, a game time decision might actually be doable.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

pdub from 3 years in the past or pdub from 3 years in the future commits.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

twocoach wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:39 am Count me in. I'll make it work. Will probably invite a buddy from Manitou Springs if it works in his schedule as well.
That's #6, that leaves 8 slots open.

Trad? Dr Pepper? Feral? DC? CoyDC? sQuirt? Randy?

Damnit Randy you will have to stay off probation long enough to reply.

psych? Gutter? You have no idea how many people would actually like to meet you.