Induction cooktops

Coffee talk.
japhy
Contributor

Induction cooktops

Post by japhy »

I have always cooked on a gas stove. The electric stoves in the apartments of my youth sucked. But we are switching to induction in the new residence out in the Empire. We have been using a couple of one burner induction tops in the artist's apartment and they seem to be good although we have had to futz around with the pans we use to get everything to work right.

But the new residence will have a larger kitchen and open dining room and we are going all in on induction. Anybody have a 36 inch 5 burner unit you use and really like? We have dinner parties and it is not unusual for me to have four pots and pans going at once. I want something that is low maintenance (not easily scratched) and easy to clean and since it is 3 hours to the nearest service center it needs to be durable/reliable. I don't want wifi cuz the day I think I need to start the stove from the bathroom while sitting on the shitter will be the day I put a gun to my head.

Any suggestions?
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Induction cooktops

Post by jfish26 »

japhy wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:27 pm I have always cooked on a gas stove. The electric stoves in the apartments of my youth sucked. But we are switching to induction in the new residence out in the Empire. We have been using a couple of one burner induction tops in the artist's apartment and they seem to be good although we have had to futz around with the pans we use to get everything to work right.

But the new residence will have a larger kitchen and open dining room and we are going all in on induction. Anybody have a 36 inch 5 burner unit you use and really like? We have dinner parties and it is not unusual for me to have four pots and pans going at once. I want something that is low maintenance (not easily scratched) and easy to clean and since it is 3 hours to the nearest service center it needs to be durable/reliable. I don't want wifi cuz the day I think I need to start the stove from the bathroom while sitting on the shitter will be the day I put a gun to my head.

Any suggestions?
We have induction cooktops. I like them a lot (particularly with kids around, because they're cool to the touch very quickly). We use All-Clad cookware that is compatible.

The only major frustration is that they get quite finicky when liquid spills/splashes on them. Absolutely not a dealbreaker on our end, but something to be aware of.

The Samsung cooktop we have gets daily use and has required no maintenance for 5+ years. The two-burner one (of another brand) we have in the basement doesn't get enough use for me to say anything about its reliability one way or another.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Our induction runs super hot, even with heavy cast iron, is that an individual issue or just induction in general? Only ever done electric coil and gas prior.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

hell japhy, place like I imagine the empire to be needs a wood stove range, cast iron only, and quartered rabbit in the pot.
Just Ledoux it
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:52 pm
japhy wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:27 pm I have always cooked on a gas stove. The electric stoves in the apartments of my youth sucked. But we are switching to induction in the new residence out in the Empire. We have been using a couple of one burner induction tops in the artist's apartment and they seem to be good although we have had to futz around with the pans we use to get everything to work right.

Any suggestions?
We have induction cooktops. I like them a lot (particularly with kids around, because they're cool to the touch very quickly). We use All-Clad cookware that is compatible.

The only major frustration is that they get quite finicky when liquid spills/splashes on them. Absolutely not a dealbreaker on our end, but something to be aware of.

The Samsung cooktop we have gets daily use and has required no maintenance for 5+ years. The two-burner one (of another brand) we have in the basement doesn't get enough use for me to say anything about its reliability one way or another.
I have heard that about getting water on the cooktop. I try real hard to not let things boil over. We have mostly AllClad cookware in our current home. Annie insists on budget cookware for the artist's residence kitchen cuz you never know what artists will use shit for and we suspect the cookware choices might be part of our past issues. I loved my Viking range cuz nothing would dent it or take the finish off it. My hesitation with glass cooktops stems from the raggedy ass look of 20 year old glass tops. I assume the finish and surfaces have improved since then but only have advertisements to go by. I don't actually know anyone who cooks a lot and uses a glass top induction surface. Even the cheap single ones we have heat up fast and cook well so I do like that. And not having to remove 50 lbs of black iron to clean seems like a plus.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I've never used one. In our current house, we have a traditional glass top stove. Takes too long to heat up, too long to cool down and just isn't that great despite being a pretty good brand.

We should be moving this spring/summer and I've made it clear that we will have a gas stove again. And what I say always goes.
Defense. Rebounds.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:36 pm I've never used one. In our current house, we have a traditional glass top stove. Takes too long to heat up, too long to cool down and just isn't that great despite being a pretty good brand.

We should be moving this spring/summer and I've made it clear that we will have a gas stove again. And what I say always goes.
Enjoy your upcoming new induction cooktop. She's going to love how easy they are to clean.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

TDub wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:36 pm hell japhy, place like I imagine the empire to be needs a wood stove range, cast iron only, and quartered rabbit in the pot.
You would be amazed, or maybe not, how many woodturning stoves there are in town. This time of year the town smells of wood smoke. It's kind of nice except for the fires that consume homes this time of year. For fire hazard reasons we are switching to induction.

And thanks for the link 99, the comments from that were helpful. In the apartment kitchen there are just induction countertop burners that are stored in a drawer. It keeps the limited countertop space clean. Thee idea of just having multiples of those but in bigger commercial grade version for the main kitchen may be a nice option. When I am done cooking they could just be put in the pantry. Our cabinets are from a late 1950's era modern home in the Springs that was next to Colorado Hippie College. They are enameled steel and not really easy to modify for a new cooktop or sink. This would eliminate that issue entirely.

Which means that the 36" Jennair, gas 5 burner cooktop sitting in my staging room is now surplus if anyone needs a newish high end gas cooktop.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:17 pm 99 is brain-damaged.

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1612973043583696897
wut?
Defense. Rebounds.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Ronny sounds like he is the epitome of "manhood", something 'Merica needs I heard. Ronny probably ONLY uses lead based paint to paint his bedroom as well. Which might splain the hyperbolical BS. I have boxes of floor tile with asbestos in it, Ronny the contrarian can have that if he wants it. No need to "take it from my cold dead hands", I will give it to him.

In the meantime though I will keep looking at induction cooktops. I think some of them have a "ball tanning" setting that will help me compensate for my "lack of gas pipe".
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:45 pm

wut?
As I figured...
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I'd guess the "my pillow" guy already has a "my gas stove" already in the works.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

I proclaimed my love for gas stoves on national tv
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

japhy wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:52 pm
Ronny sounds like he is the epitome of "manhood"
Uhh...duh?

Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

How many “cold, dead hands” do these fucking people have?
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Huh, never gave that expression any thought.
"Cold" seems both redundant and unimportant.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Mjl

Post by Mjl »

The more you know...
pdub
Site Admin