Schedule of Festivities Crimson/Blue Fest 2023

Coffee talk.
japhy
Contributor

Re: Schedule of Festivities Crimson/Blue Fest 2023

Post by japhy »

A weather update from the San Luis Valley for everyone traveling in for the Crimson/Blue Fest.

The morning temps have been consistently around 46 degrees with afternoon highs around 82. Because of the low humidity (15%) the wind chill kicks in and the afternoon it has a "feels like" temp of around 75 in the shade. As a Midwesterner getting ready for a 109 heat index today in KC it is nothing short of heavenly to need to put on a jacket in the morning in July to walk the Dok dog in the park in Center. Because of the spring rains and heavy snow melt we have no active fires in the valley or in the part of NM that is directly south of us. The AQ index has been in the 20's.

In other words, it is fucking glorious out there right now. Something for those in Chicago to think about. My daughter texted a photo from her office in the Loop on Monday and it looked nasty there.

So bring a jacket, bring a water bottle, bring a hat and sunscreen.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Does it make sense to just get a yurt Monday night?

What’s your fishing availability that weekend before?
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

The rental policy at the Frontier is a two night minimum. If you want to "camp" we have bout 2000 sf of room you can throw a tent up in or just throw down a sleeping pad and a sleeping bag. Big Blue is of course first come first served but the Spud Lounge is open pretty much all night so you would have to deal with that. There are motels in Monte and Del Norte but you should make reservations now because they tend to fill up with Texans who are passing through to Pagosa, Durango, Telluride this time of year.

I will be doing some hardware installation work on Friday and will be busy during the day on Saturday as there is an art event at the Frontier sponsored by Black Cube and Big Bill and I will be pimpin the town to the art patrons coming in from Denver. There will be a party on Saturday night at the Big Party Garage so you should attend. Sunday is wide open and a religious service at a small cutthroat creek would be in order. Defix wants to go with so we will take him if he can walk by then. We can explore a new place or hit one of my favorites.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Two night minimum? Well can I at least get a early checkin

For real tho, thanks for the hospitality. I might just book two nights now but will otherwise let you know asap if I end up planning to crash on blue again.

If you wanna just pencil in fishing Sunday, let’s do it!
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

hope theres a Starbucks!
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

actually, I do recall good coffee at that little greasy spoon breakfast joint in Monte Vista. Japhy, let's go back.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

We may have a Pavoni espresso machine installed in our new kitchen by the time the Fest rolls around. I'll keep you posted.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Those are the cutts in our little creek in the SLV. The big spots on their tail end. The one I caught a week ago was a little thicker but about that length. Beautiful fish. The only place I have ever caught a grand slam in an afternoon. There are grasshoppers in the meadow now. I fished a beadhead dropper behind a deer hair hopper. The only thing I didn't catch that afternoon was a rainbow. I cooked some brookies on the grill, a little culling of the herd seemed in order.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

In just four weeks Udoka and I will hop in the truck and head West on I-70. See you there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T8ksKASZYw