Is it a Cincinnati thing?

Coffee talk.
japhy
Contributor

Is it a Cincinnati thing?

Post by japhy »

Is being a jambroni part of their sports DNA? Or does it come from some "second tier city with chip on your shoulder about being irrelevant" sort of thing?

One of the worst crowds I ever sat in was at the Great Eight back in 1996 watching KU play a Huggins coached Cincinnati team. I was sitting with chiknbut and his brothers in the middle of a section of Bearcats fans. Before the game starts they are all chirpy about how the Jayhawks were lucky to have Jacque Vaughn out because now we had a built in excuse for losing badly. It did seem daunting sending out TJ Pugh as a point guard against a Huggins defense. And the first half went as expected. KU down by 10 at the half but it seemed worse than that. Everyone in our section was screaming at people they didn't know just because we were wearing KU gear.

And then Paul Pierce came alive in the second half and dumb fouls took Fortson out of the game and KU stormed back to victory. There was a string of about 6 of us jumping up and down in that section of the United Center while the rest of the folks around us got sullenly drunk.

I remember on the way out of the place there was lots of drunks screaming about being robbed by the refs and Bearcats fans starting fights on the escalators and in the lobby. And I remember having one last, very satisfying, victory beer at Miller's Pub while watching the ESPN highlights.

Last night's Chief's victory felt satisfying like that.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
twocoach

Re: Is it a Cincinnati thing?

Post by twocoach »

Lots of fan bases have a trashy component. It doesn't surprise me at all to see Cincy has a particularly trashy portion.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Sorry to go for devil’s advocate downer pity, buuuut…

when discussing second tier cities and irrelevance, to the average anyone, what difference does it make whether it’s Cincinnati or Kansas City?

Besides the obvious things, like one of them is in Kansas

But yea, cincy is unique cuz it’s kind of southernish but also all Ohio. That’s a unique mix of trashy. And I would know, I was born in Toledo.

Now somebody guttermeter me up.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Like twocoach said, there's a geographical overlap.
Kentucky basketball fans, in my experience, have been the worst fans i've ever watched games with and that includes at MIZZOU and ksu.
I wouldn't be surprised if that spills over to Cincy fans.

The NFL in general have the worst trashiest fans though. Chiefs fans definitely included. I haven't been at a Eagles game but I can imagine it's pretty shitty.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I imagine every Eagles fan as one of the characters from It’s Always Sunny.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:05 am
It is?
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Yuge fight a couple years ago between Cincinnati and Xavier. There's definitely a whiskey tango thing here. But I think that's pretty universal.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Twocoach says it's just the UK fans.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

But yea, NFL fans overall are the trashiest.

UK fans are the only fans who, once hoops gets brought up and I mention I’m a KU fan, literally stopped talking to me at the bar. (To be fair, my wingman that night was a Hoosier)

And while we’re at it- dook fans are the sorts of fans who are like, “I only watch hoops 2 weekends a year but otherwise I’m a huge dook fan…is that annoying goofy white dood still a star there?”
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

japhy wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:10 am
ousdahl wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:05 am
It is?
Exactly.
Deleted User 863

UK fans and Mizzou fans are fairly similar in my experience. The only reason Mizzou fans may seem less aggravating is because they don't win nearly as much as UK.

Although iirc there was an NCAA tournament where STL was an early round site and UK and KU were both there and the UK fans were miserable. Or maybe it was Mizzou fans? I'll have to look it up. Maybe all 3 were there?
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Maybe my experience was somewhat of an exception - at the FF in Arlington/Dallas (2014) the UK fans we met were very nice, to the extent that we felt (for a short moment) that we shouldn’t hate them so strongly! The UConn fans on the other hand were just obnoxious, before and especially after the final victory.

Of course, the other two fan bases were par for the course. The very nice Wisconsin fans and the very obnoxious Florida fans
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

zsn wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:14 am Maybe my experience was somewhat of an exception - at the FF in Arlington/Dallas (2014) the UK fans we met were very nice, to the extent that we felt (for a short moment) that we shouldn’t hate them so strongly! The UConn fans on the other hand were just obnoxious, before and especially after the final victory.

Of course, the other two fan bases were par for the course. The very nice Wisconsin fans and the very obnoxious Florida fans
The closest thing to UK basketball fans are KU basketball fans. Big fan bases, love basketball, very knowledgeable, like to party, and has some shitheads mixed in.

At every Champions Classic, the KU and UK fans seem like the same group compared to the North Carolina schools whom are very boring.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Dook and UNC fans have that casual country club vibe or something. Like the fandom is less about fandom and more about some status symbol.

Rather than wear their sacred game day shirts and get gushered and scream at the game, they’d prefer to sip Diet Coke and mutter dog-gonnits in their sport coats.

Back to OP…question:

Could it have something to do with nutmeg in their chili?
Deleted User 863

I've lived in the Carolinas. They are serious about their sports teams in those parts. Duke UNC South Carolina Clemson. All legit fan bases with varying degrees of obnoxiousness.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:50 pm Dook and UNC fans have that casual country club vibe or something. Like the fandom is less about fandom and more about some status symbol.

Rather than wear their sacred game day shirts and get gushered and scream at the game, they’d prefer to sip Diet Coke and mutter dog-gonnits in their sport coats.

Back to OP…question:

I only know two Dukies, I like them. They both got their undergraduate at Notre Dame and then law school at Duke. And they do belong to the Mission Hills Country Club. In spite of their collegiate affiliations, neither of them is really a sports fan.

I had to look up Cincinnati chili. Did not know it was a thing. It sounds a lot like the "spaghetti red" they peddle down in Joplin MO as a local culinary delight. I tried the Joplin version, am not really a fan.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yea, much of the dook issue may be that so few dook fans are actually dook alums who actually care.

Most are just fair weather dorks who don’t have a good alma mater otherwise so they just casually like dook.

There’s prob some other sports analogy…aren’t there a lot of casual Yankees fans? Which is to say, a lot of folks who can’t name a single mlb team besides the Yankees.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Yankees, Red Sox, Patriots, Cowboys, Lakers
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Hockey:

“Umm…uh…oh, the mighty ducks!

Is their coach still Emilio?”
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:50 pm Dook and UNC fans have that casual country club vibe or something. Like the fandom is less about fandom and more about some status symbol.

Back to OP…question:

Carolina is a state school; they do not strike me as snobby at all. But I do think they pick up casual fans because of Michael Jordan and because many women like their baby blue colors. When UNC comes to Omaha for the CWS, there are inevitably a ton of random women wandering around in their baby blue shirts.

Duke on the other hand has a ton of casuals who don't really follow college hoops until the tourney starts and then just pick Duke because they win a lot.