Kansas Football 2023 Season

Kansas Football.
PhDhawk

Re: Kansas Football 2023 Season

Post by PhDhawk »

Love the way he plays.

But those videos also illustrate why he probably never plays a full season.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

I just worry about Hishaw's health; dude has had a lot of bad luck with pretty major injuries.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Vasko entering the portal. Shoot.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

They recruited over him.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

For a guy that hasn't even signed yet. 8 months away from that QB being able to sign. That's a long time. I get they can get guys in the portal easily now, but not great.

This year the 3 QBs are..
JD (Please stay healthy)
Bean (Can do enough, but not outstanding)
Easters (Yuck)

Vasko got playing time as a true freshman last year. Don't know what else he wanted.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

I figured Vasko had as good of a chance to start next year as anyone else (unless JD uses his Super Senior year).
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I know that stats aren’t everything but Bean had a better QBR than Daniels and did so against much tougher competition ( ie didn’t get to start against defenseless Duke and WVU ).

Obviously Daniels is our guy and is a stud but Beans season last year was better than most of our QBs over the last, what, 14 seasons? He’s a fantastic backup.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:04 pm For a guy that hasn't even signed yet. 8 months away from that QB being able to sign. That's a long time. I get they can get guys in the portal easily now, but not great.

This year the 3 QBs are..
JD (Please stay healthy)
Bean (Can do enough, but not outstanding)
Easters (Yuck)

Vasko got playing time as a true freshman last year. Don't know what else he wanted.
Don't forget my guy Matty Pro will be on campus if/when he's needed. ;)

http://www.hudl.com/v/2J2jQy
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

pdub wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:26 pm I know that stats aren’t everything but Bean had a better QBR than Daniels and did so against much tougher competition ( ie didn’t get to start against defenseless Duke and WVU ).

Obviously Daniels is our guy and is a stud but Beans season last year was better than most of our QBs over the last, what, 14 seasons? He’s a fantastic backup.
Bean will always come with an asterisk. The last play of 2022 was no fluke.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think it was very much a fluke.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah don't think it was a fluke. Just a bad play call. But not to go down that path again, they just started to run out of plays and it's a tough call to put the ball in the hands of a backup QB who didn't play much in that game.

I'm sure it lived with Kotelnicki since November and will continue to be with him for a while.

Bean is fine.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think by fluke, I mean, Bean makes a throw like that, in a scenario where he isn't just plopped in there for one play after not getting one single pass attempt all game, 1 out of 500 times.

Bean's completion % was just 2 percent worse than Daniels with longer yards per pass completion against tougher competition.

So I agree w Newton on the play call. But also don't think that play does justice to who Bean is ( i.e. while that play will always be remembered, that's not the kind of player he is ) and that isn't a play that would ever be normally made by him.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah I agree. I maybe misunderstood the point.

He statistically had his best collegiate season last year.

1,280 yards
64% completion percentage
16 TDs
4 INTs
222 rushing yards with 4 TDs

When he needed to be his best (oSu game) he was. That was a reeling oSu team that was to be had and Bean went 18-23 203 yards, 2 passing TDs, 4 rushes for 93 yards with a 73 yard TD run outrunning secondary guys.

He also led a 2nd half comeback to get within 5 of Baylor with 7 minutes to go in the game after being down 28-3.

Again, he's fine. Above average backup.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Just about QBs tho..

Lots of hype around JD6 this year. Many have him as top QB in Big 12. Saw a publication that had him as 10th best QB in CFB for the 2023 season.

Enjoy this, fellow Hawk fans. This is fun again.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:24 am
1,280 yards
64% completion percentage
16 TDs
4 INTs
222 rushing yards with 4 TDs
And this is basically 4.75 games ( JD went out right before the 2nd quarter v TCU ).
Expand his season out including a 13th bowl game and you're looking at:

3,000 pass yards
35 pass TDs
500 rush yards
7 rush TDs
10 INTs

Which would be the best Kansas QB season since Todd Reesing.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

Look Bean coming back was huge. JD is badass However we need his complete game which means he needs to run. So much pressure put on the defense. With Bean there in case something goes wrong we good.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Our QB situation next season, and that includes having someone put together an offense that works, is the best since 2008.

Would be nice to have Dezmon Briscoe though.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I think Bean is a great backup. He isn't quick thinking but instinctive. When I wrote no fluke, it wasn't a fluke that he panicked and threw away the ball in a score or die scenario. Daniels is better in pressure. Bean is elite with speed and they need to find touches for him as a receiver or jet sweeper
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

And I don’t think that’s fair to label that he can’t play in do or die scenarios because of his one and only throw at the very end of a triple OT game.

If we recall, Daniels had 2 interceptions in the first quarter, so his start was also a struggle in that game.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Bean had some miserable high leverage series last year. His overall stats are good to a point. Tech, OU, KSU. We were asking for Vasko a few times. But he is a good back-up who can be used other ways too:

Post by pdub » Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:28 pm
Bean does a number of things well but he hasn’t learned you can press the throw button at different pressures to get touch/loft.