Ugh.
ousdahl

Chinese spy balloon

Post by ousdahl »

this thread has even more potential than the overrated one
twocoach

Re: Chinese spy balloon

Post by twocoach »

It really is absurd that we have not shot that down yet.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

what sort of data they are collecting with it?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

doesn't matter, I guarantee ours wouldn't still be up if it crossed into their airspace....civilian or not, scientific data collection or not.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/chines ... 023-02-03/

wait, so it changed course and sped up? So....it didn't just drift off course then? Headed over the Pentagon eh? still civilian scientists craft?

Get it out of the sky already.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Is there a way to just go get it an see what it is? Maybe do a little reverse engineering?
It's got to go, Uncle Joe is gonna look weak. I've heard people say that we really don't want to provoke and escalate, but it seems that is exactly what the Chinese are doing. Grow a pair, Joe.
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

right?

why shoot it down when we could just like retrieve it and maybe do some reverse surveillance on it?

and I don't trust a thing China's saying, but they're saying it's just some weather balloon.

And honestly, that might make sense more so than some "spy" ballon, cuz isn't there supposed to be some clandestine element to espionage? What good it spying if it's done with some clunky old balloon that's so prone to flying off course or whatever? When they have satellites and shit anyway? Or, maybe China really is that primitive, and that dumb.

Or, if China DID do this on purpose, maybe they did intend for this to be seen, less for any substantial spy intelligence and more just to fuck with us.

but, okay okay, this will prob get me shit from the michhawks, but: I don't trust a thing Merica's saying either. is there a chance it really is just some sorta boring weather balloon, but the US propaganda machine is using it to stoke anti-China sentiment?

coincidentally as we're expanding our own military footprint in their backyard...

(I wonder what kinda balloons we'd float over China if China was building military bases all across the Caribbean or something)
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

they said it had no propulsion and drifted off course. This is wrong as it changed direction and speed. Its not drifting, its being directed and has propulsion. Not saying it's a spy balloon....because its a pretty obvious and poor one. But it still needs to be gone.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

China supposedly has another balloon somewhere over Latin America currently.
Just Ledoux it
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

jhawks99 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:04 am Is there a way to just go get it an see what it is? Maybe do a little reverse engineering?
It's got to go, Uncle Joe is gonna look weak. I've heard people say that we really don't want to provoke and escalate, but it seems that is exactly what the Chinese are doing. Grow a pair, Joe.
https://twitter.com/BillFOXLA/status/16 ... 1066559488
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Deleted User 863

Are we still winning?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

this is all a big nothing burger, imo

does anyone seriously think a balloon is going to be a more powerful spy weapon than a satellite?

this isn’t the 1950s
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

KUTradition wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:52 am this is all a big nothing burger, imo

does anyone seriously think a balloon is going to be a more powerful spy weapon than a satellite?

this isn’t the 1950s
Makes sense to me.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
Deleted User 863

The baloon has died.

Do nothing Joe finally got pressured into doing it.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

plot twist

upon being shot down the balloon has unleashed a new 2023 variant. Pandemoc incoming!

this isn't a serious post. if that needs clarifying...
Just Ledoux it
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

I assume -- hope? -- that we waited to shoot it down until we could be certain, given wind, topography, etc. that we could recover it quickly and intact -- or as intact as possible after a missile strike.
Last edited by DCHawk1 on Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 863

DCHawk1 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:04 pm I assume -- hope? -- that we waited to shoot it down until we could be certain, given wind, topography, etc. that we could recover it quickly and intact.
They shot it with a missile according to the news. And the footage of it floating down in pieces leaves me hesitant to use the word "intact".
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Yep. I edited the post. I meant the electronic surveillance equipment, which, hopefully, is still examinable.