Official Crimson/Blue Fest 2023 invitation

Coffee talk.
japhy
Contributor

Official Crimson/Blue Fest 2023 invitation

Post by japhy »

Where: https://www.frontierdriveinn.com the drive in and the nearby town of Center CO will be our private party town for 2 days

When: July 31 - Aug 1 these dates are important because they coincide with the Super Moon

A hypothetical question was posed on a KU sports/shit talk message board, "if you could get together with a group of your imaginary internet friends and watch the four "greatest" KU basketball games of all time, what games would you choose?". A short list of 10-12 games was quickly put together. The second question was "if these games could be watched on a 1950's era drive-in movie screen out in the high desert of Colorado, would you attend?". There was an enthusiastic response.

The dates were given to me by the Archangel Cannabis last summer. I was at the drive-in for a film screening with friends during the 2022 summer Super Moon. The angel came unto me and said, "Fuck Yeah!" as the moon was rising over the Sangre de Cristo mountains. On a side note this may be the same angel who appeared to my boy Cano Espinosa and told him to build his towers in nearby Antonito. It wasn't until the idea of the KU Basketball get together under the stars was hatched that the full meaning of what Cannabis said unto me that fateful night was fully understood.

I will reserve the entire Frontier (10 yurts and 4 quonsets) for those two dates. You can place your reservations for a yurt or a quonset with me. Just send me a PM with your contact info. The cost for a yurt for 2 nights is $320 and for a quonset is $380. The quonsets have their own full bathroom, the yurts have a nice heated communal bath/shower facility. If you sign up late and the on-site rooms are taken, there are motels in the nearby towns of Monte Vista and Del Norte. I think from preliminary head count we have about hall of those rooms spoken for in this group, but I have sent invites out to KU folks beyond this group. But let's get real here....if you are coming to this you wanna to stay on site. After the night game is over you can walk across the big lawn and just flop in your room.

This is a schedule of events for the two days.

Proposed Schedule of Festivities for Crimson/Blue Fest 2023

July 31

11:00 AM – 1:00 PM-------Check in at the Frontier and then make your way “downtown” to The Spud Lounge at 342 Worth Street.

11:30 AM – 3:00 PM-------Free Lunch, we will be cooking burgers and brats on the grill behind the Spud Lounge. There will be a keg of Three Barrel Hop Trash and the "Manhattan King" will be tending bar.

3:00 PM – 5:30 PM-------Game 1 will begin showing in the Spud Lounge with postgame festivities.

5:30 PM – 7:30 PM-------Dinner break, I will have a list of local places to eat. There is a new place in Alamosa that made this year’s James Beard Semifinal list for best new restaurants for those that like that stuff.

7:45 PM – 8:30 PM-------Assemble at the east side of the property with libation in hand. As the sun sets you can see alpenglow across the 60 mile long expanse of the Sangre de Cristos which is why they are called that. This will be followed in about 15 minutes by the rise of the super moon over the same mountains.

8:45 PM – 11:30 PM-------Game 2 to be followed by more post game festivities.

August 1

8:00 AM – 3:00 PM-------Open time. Anyone who wants to see the haunted Lafayette Head Compound, Cano’s Towers and Ron Rael's Labyrinth can follow me to breakfast at the Sun Flour Café in Monte Vista and we will proceed to Antonito from there (if Ron is in town I will get him to lead the tour). Other adventures I would recommend for those not wanting to go to Antonito would include, trip to Sand Dunes National Park and adjacent hippie town of Crestone and Colorado Gator Farm, Penitente Canyon with side trip to the Gates of Hell is also nice. There are good breakfast and lunch places in Monte Vista and Del Norte.

3:00 PM – 5:30 PM-------Game 3 to be followed by even more postgame activities.

6:00 PM – 7:30 PM-------Celebrity chef group dinner in the Frontier “snack bar”. It is a very upscale snack bar.

7:45 PM – 8:30 PM-------Again with the damn moon thing. Assemble at the east side of the property with libation in hand. As the sun sets you can see alpenglow across the Sangre de Cristos which is why they are called that. This will be followed in about 15 minutes by the rise of the super moon over the same mountains.

8:45 PM – 11:30 PM-------Game 4 to be followed by more post game festivities.

It will be a celebration of all things KU basketball under the stars in the wide open spaces in one of the most beautiful places on the planet. I am also putting together some "shorts" to show before the games on the big screen. There are the old favorites; the grandma scene from Outlaw Josie Wales, Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz, the pregame intro video from AFH. And maybe some seldom seen video of a favorite conservative son's appearance on Tucker Carlson. Did you know that fuckwad Tucker puts his guests in short slouch chairs just to make them look less manly than his ball tanned self on the show? I mean seriously, who would do that to a Jayhawk brother?

If'n you get there a day or two early or stay a day later I might show you around my private trout stream.

As the Archangel Cannabis is wont to say, "Fuck Yeah!". She is a real potty mouth that one.

Consider this your official invite.

I will update this thread as people confirm so you know how many rooms are left.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
japhy
Contributor

Re: Official Crimson/Blue Fest 2023 invitation

Post by japhy »

Shirley is in, there are three quonsets and ten yurts left.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Crap, I dunno. This may be in the middle of our move to the great white north. I can't commit now.

I mean, I can be committed but...
Defense. Rebounds.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Defix is in, there are three quonsets and nine yurts left.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i got approval from “the boss”, but we’d have camper in tow if we end up being able to make it happen

adulting, unfortunately, takes priority
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:27 pm i got approval from “the boss”, but we’d have camper in tow if we end up being able to make it happen

The nearest USFS campground is Penitente Canyon. 15 minutes from town. Really nice with a great view of the valley if you camp in the upper campground. I can give you directions.

Also Defix and I own side by side parking areas in town off an alley behind our buildings next door to the liquor store. It can be busy and noisy before 11:00 PM, but once the liquor store closes it is quiet and safe. Overlander and Ousie camped there one weekend.

The Center police drive patrol "downtown" at night and keep any shit stirrers in check. Just ask the two previously mentioned message board members.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

japhy wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:04 pm
KUTradition wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:27 pm i got approval from “the boss”, but we’d have camper in tow if we end up being able to make it happen

The nearest USFS campground is Penitente Canyon. 15 minutes from town. Really nice with a great view of the valley if you camp in the upper campground. I can give you directions.

Also Defix and I own side by side parking areas in town off an alley behind our buildings next door to the liquor store. It can be busy and noisy before 11:00 PM, but once the liquor store closes it is quiet and safe. Overlander and Ousie camped there one weekend.

The Center police drive patrol "downtown" at night and keep any shit stirrers in check. Just ask the two previously mentioned message board members.
thanks!
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Defense. Rebounds.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

pdub wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:09 pm Looks rowdy AF.

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7527015 ... 384!8i8192
If you hit the bottom arrow once and then pan to the left, my building has the big blue and red heart painted on the future display windows. The blue building to the right is one of Japhy's. If you pan to the right, Dan's Center Saloon is the site of the notorious face off between Ousdahl and Jeeper and some locals.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

pdub wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:09 pm Looks rowdy AF.

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7527015 ... 384!8i8192
Just a sleepy little town with nothing going on.

But behind the MorValu sign sits The Spud Lounge. Church service hours are posted in the front window. My home will be behind the Pizza sign. When we wanted to have a marching band parade two summers ago, we simply walked out into the middle of Worth Street in our marching band unis and big ass hats, we have 20, and marched down the street. There is a party yard off the alley behind the two buildings south of the liquor store and behind MorValu. The big garage/party hall is on the corner of 3rd and Warden. The Frontier is a mile south on 285. The Center Theater at 335 4th Street is under construction but will be in the mix in 2024. I owned that at one time and sold it to Continuum Partners out of Denver, they also own the Frontier. There will be a party deck on the Theater roof in the future and a coffee shop in the lobby.

I was walking down Worth Street one night with Ron Rael, we were on a mission to get more beer and some food for a party. He said, "you know, this reminds me of Marfa when it first started." Ron built Prada Marfa so he would know about those early years. I think that is a good thing. I think we want it to stay that way.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Geezer and Minhin are in. There are three quonsets and eight yurts left on site.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Overlander and wife are in, there are two quonsets and eight yurts left on site.

I heard from Mike and Eileen, they are looking at their schedule. Eileen is competing in the senior games in July and so there are some travel logistics to work out.

Those of you who went to Solstice a couple of years ago know that it isn't a party until Eileen arrives. Fingers crossed, she will show up with party props of some sort again.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Let me know how/who to pay Japhy
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

japhy wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:47 pm Those of you who went to Solstice a couple of years ago know that it isn't a party until Eileen arrives. Fingers crossed, she will show up with party props of some sort again.
We still have the bottle of mead she brought.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Overlander wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:56 pm Let me know how/who to pay Japhy
You can pay me. I reserved the whole place and put it on my credit card.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Carrie from Tulsa is in, there is one quonset left and eight yurts left on site.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Dr Pepper has signed up for the last quonset. There are eight yurts left.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

It's gaining momentum!!
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

It won’t feel real until Gutter commits