Official Crimson/Blue Fest 2023 invitation

Coffee talk.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Official Crimson/Blue Fest 2023 invitation

Post by pdub »

I vaguely remember a couple times laughing at a woman and a dude on Wescoe preaching hilarious sex stuff like that. Maybe it was them.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

The fact that she is still out there going strong for 4 decades is impressive. I would have loved to have gotten her to show up at a party. We got the Tan Man, William S Borroughs, the Punk Rock Mailman, Henry Rollins, Greg Ginn, Paul Westerberg and a voodoo witchdoctor to bless us with their company, but alas never Cindy and Jeb (god rest his manly soul). Those were some good ass parties.

Solstice 2023! I will try to figure out how to reach out to Sister Cindy and get an invite to her. There will be some craven heathen muthafuckers at that event who will need saving I tell you! She would likely be happy to know that I am still going strong on my deviant ways 4 decades later as well.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don't know the names of the people but there was guy who looked like Tony Clifton ( Andy Kauffman's alter ego ), tall guy in skinny jeans wearing mostly black in a hat who threw up peace signs, Honk for Hemp man ( I believe he just passed away ) and Dennis the dude pushing the dolls in a stroller. There was also White Owl.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I partied with Steve "The Old Hip-Eye" at a Dead show once.
Defense. Rebounds.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Speaking of Lawrence ‘locals’, if any of you knew of Toad and don’t know (not sure if there was a post on here about it, I miss a lot), he was hit by a car about a month ago and died a week later from complications.

He had a ‘delivery service’ downtown and did odd jobs for many local businesses. Short in stature, tall in ire.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

approximate age?

i knew a “Toad”, but i’m not thinking they’re one and the same
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

soooo

I'm thinking about offering a little creative contribution to this little festival.

might bring my acoustic guitar and be prepared to preform a gushered late night Dead set...not that I'm dead set on doing it...

songs I can pretty much play for sure right now:

US Blues
Sugaree
Dire Wolf
Mr. Charlie
Going down the road feeling bad
He's gone
Dear Mr. Fantasy
El Paso
Morning dew
Friend of the devil
Fire on the mountain
Bertha

Songs I kind of know and could prob get up to speed in time:
Ripple
Althea
Looser
Tennessee Jed
China Cat (that one kinda requires 2 guitars tho...anyone? anyone? Bueller?)

Could probably figure out other tunes yet, if anyone has requests.

and, let's also consider the likelihood of special guest performances from familiar favorites such as Bob Dylan, David Bowie, and Blink 182.

and if anyone calls me out for not properly committing yet, bear in mind, this entire post is mostly just 99 and gutter bait to get them to properly commit first.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I’m definitely not going now.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I was gonna say...

a late night dead set should put pretty much everyone but 99 and gutter to sleep, anyway.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

KUTradition wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 6:45 pm approximate age?

i knew a “Toad”, but i’m not thinking they’re one and the same
Mid 50s I think. Real shirt, delivered, was always on his moped. He was mostly salty in demeanor, but he liked people and they liked him.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

He was the step brother of my neighbor and she and her family took care of his funeral. I only had two interactions--both non-verbal--with Toad in my 30 years here in Lawrence. Both involved him giving me double middle fingers at an intersection as I sat idling next to him.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

defixione wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:09 pm He was the step brother of my neighbor and she and her family took care of his funeral. I only had two interactions--both non-verbal--with Toad in my 30 years here in Lawrence. Both involved him giving me double middle fingers at an intersection as I sat idling next to him.
It’s like cunt in England. Totally different meaning.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

pdub wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 6:57 pm I’m definitely not going now.
if anyone was on the fence.....
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 4:12 pm
defixione wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:09 pm He was the step brother of my neighbor and she and her family took care of his funeral. I only had two interactions--both non-verbal--with Toad in my 30 years here in Lawrence. Both involved him giving me double middle fingers at an intersection as I sat idling next to him.
In high school Spanish class, we had a Brazilian exchange student trying to learn the language too.

The teacher made some point about how different expressions have different meanings in different languages and cultures. She then made the hand gesture with the pointer finger and thumb making a circle and other 3 fingers up that we know as, “OK.” She then asked the exchange student what it meant in Brazil.

“Fuck you.”

To this day, I don’t even know if that’s what that gesture really means in Brazil. But it was a pretty badass opportunity seized by the exchange student either way.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I have some friends from Peru, it means A-hole there.
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 4:12 pm
Made me look:

"Cunt" is often used as a disparaging and obscene term for a woman in the United States, an unpleasant or stupid man or woman in the United Kingdom, or a contemptible man in Australia and New Zealand.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

I've said before when i call people cunts i'm not speaking from an American point of view. But, Americans are generally cunty enough that they only trust what they know. And believe everything that reinforces it.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Last chance to vote, game schedule will be set later this week.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Ousdahl, what would one do to blow the socks off a 20-year old on their last day of a Colorado vacation in the Frisco area? We need a finale. Early August. Preferably free or cheap. We need something to fill between sunrise at Arches National Park and the Denver Airport. There is 24-48 hours in between.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

DrPepper wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:38 pm Ousdahl, what would one do to blow the socks off a 20-year old on their last day of a Colorado vacation in the Frisco area? We need a finale. Early August. Preferably free or cheap. We need something to fill between sunrise at Arches National Park and the Denver Airport. There is 24-48 hours in between.
if you can swing it, i’ve long advocated for Natural Bridges over Arches (less people and more anthropology)…and Bears Ears is adjacent, too

along those same lines, there’s also Mesa Verde and a number of other Pueblo and Anasazi sites between Arches and Denver
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?