Kansas Football.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Super Bowl LVII

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:36 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:09 am
twocoach wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:02 am

Every year they wait, the contract that Hurts will require gets bigger. Cincy is going to be working on Burrow's contract this offseason, which is going to be huge.
Top-of-the-market will increase incrementally. I think (in the Eagles' position) that incremental risk is an acceptable price to pay for making Hurts prove it/stay healthy for at least another season.
Hurts was dropping dimes all over the place in the Super Bowl. They are dumb not to invest in him now. "Staying healthy" is mostly out of a player's control. Nothing to prove there.
Yeah, I just strongly disagree with pretty much all of this.

I don't see anything dumb in accepting an incrementally higher cost in exchange for taking a year of risk off the table. Durability is a skill, an attribute. It's one that is harder to maintain for guys who look and play like hurts. I ABSOLUTELY make Hurts play out another season before I lock into paying him something that takes up ~15% of the cap.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Especially a dude that squats about 600 pounds and is strong and built well to absorb some punishment. I'd much rather pay Hurts than Lamar or even Josh Allen. I think those 2 are more reckless when they run. Hurts seems to take care of himself a bit more.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:45 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:09 am

Top-of-the-market will increase incrementally. I think (in the Eagles' position) that incremental risk is an acceptable price to pay for making Hurts prove it/stay healthy for at least another season.
Hurts was dropping dimes all over the place in the Super Bowl. They are dumb not to invest in him now. "Staying healthy" is mostly out of a player's control. Nothing to prove there.

I don't see anything dumb in accepting an incrementally higher cost in exchange for taking a year of risk off the table. Durability is a skill, an attribute. It's one that is harder to maintain for guys who look and play like hurts. I ABSOLUTELY make Hurts play out another season before I lock into paying him something that takes up ~15% of the cap.
No worries. I just factor in any potential butt hurt feelings that may happen by telling your MVP runner-up QB who just took you to the Super Bowl and who was excellent in the run to that Super Bowl that he still has more to prove before you invest in him. He missed two games and they sucked in those 2 games. If they want to fuck around and find out what happens when you try to save a few million bucks, they are more than welcome to. It won't bother me one bit.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:53 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:45 am

No worries. I just factor in any potential butt hurt feelings that may happen by telling your MVP runner-up QB who just took you to the Super Bowl and who was excellent in the run to that Super Bowl that he still has more to prove before you invest in him. He missed two games and they sucked in those 2 games. If they want to fuck around and find out what happens when you try to save a few million bucks, they are more than welcome to. It won't bother me one bit.
But I think the issue is how you're using "a few million bucks."

You don't NOT extend him this offseason to save a few million bucks. You do that - and in fact it will COST you a few million bucks - to protect against committing $300mm+ to a guy who gets hurt or diminished next year.

I fully understand not wanting to find yourself in the position the Ravens are in.

And yet...there's a very good chance the Ravens end up feeling pretty good about how they've handled Jackson. Even if they lose him.

The sport isn't kind to anyone. It's especially unkind to ballcarriers. You can't let a talent like Hurts walk...but nor should you rush to tie your short- AND medium-term outlook to his health.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Jalen Hurts is the real deal.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Absolutely.

The bitch of it is, so are physics, biology, chemistry and time.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:36 am Jalen Hurts is the real deal.
He is like Lamar Jackson before the Ravens went on that Super Bowl binge. What could go wrong?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Jalen was equally as good, likely better, as Mahomes in that game statistically. His receivers dropped a couple big passes. He didn’t get the running game we got out of Pacheco.

But then you need to factor in that the Eagles on paper had a far better defense than ours.

The thing about Hurts is, he’s a stud, but they use him like a running back. Scary to invest long term in that but you kinda have to.
Deleted User 863

He should be good for another 5 years. Then cut him loose.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:30 pm Jalen was equally as good, likely better, as Mahomes in that game statistically. His receivers dropped a couple big passes. He didn’t get the running game we got out of Pacheco.

But then you need to factor in that the Eagles on paper had a far better defense than ours.

The thing about Hurts is, he’s a stud, but they use him like a running back. Scary to invest long term in that but you kinda have to.
Agree with all of this.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It’s why it’s probably better, even though Hurts market is very high coming off a game like this, to lock him in for a long term deal now, before the cap continues to increase and QBs salaries continue to climb.

CnB ( I hope he posts again ) has spoken of how massive Mahomes contract was but how good a deal it was bc of the length and the growth of the NFL.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:07 pm It’s why it’s probably better, even though Hurts market is very high coming off a game like this, to lock him in for a long term deal now, before the cap continues to increase and QBs salaries continue to climb.

CnB ( I hope he posts again ) has spoken of how massive Mahomes contract was but how good a deal it was bc of the length and the growth of the NFL.
Here's where I disagree. While it's true that extending Hurts NEXT offseason would likely be more expensive than doing it THIS offseason, in my opinion, the incremental increase in cost would be worth (for me) getting another cheap year (and pushing off the long-term commitment until he gets through next year healthy).

If you tie up ~15% of the cap in Hurts, and he gets severely injured and/or his performance diminishes...you're screwed.
Deleted User 863

We lost CnB?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

What happened to CnB? Wasn't Fake Fran I hope.
Deleted User 863

Not sure. Every thread isn't the same without him.

Come back to us.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Hopefully not.
I gave him a two hour non Chief fan Super Bowl thread timeout with superstitious doyel like dreams in my head.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Got to give him some credit. He was close on his score prediction right before the game started.
He was only off by 999,997.

Post by CrimsonNBlue » Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:32 pm

Sirianni crying? Chiefs by a million.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Deleted User 863

The ban hammer has a quick pull by PDub during big games.

Gotta be careful. Even an LOL will get you banned.

It's also pretty common knowledge those 2 don't like each other. So there's that.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Bill Self voice
“Soft”
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
kubowler99

Post by kubowler99 »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:29 pm
pdub wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:07 pm It’s why it’s probably better, even though Hurts market is very high coming off a game like this, to lock him in for a long term deal now, before the cap continues to increase and QBs salaries continue to climb.

Here's where I disagree. While it's true that extending Hurts NEXT offseason would likely be more expensive than doing it THIS offseason, in my opinion, the incremental increase in cost would be worth (for me) getting another cheap year (and pushing off the long-term commitment until he gets through next year healthy).

If you tie up ~15% of the cap in Hurts, and he gets severely injured and/or his performance diminishes...you're screwed.
I'm kinda with jfish on this one. Not only do the Eagles have to manage 7 defensive starters becoming free agents, they only have 6 draft picks this year. Granted 2 1st rounders, but still...only 6 total. Paying Hurts this offseason could really hamstring them not only for the 2023 season, but for the next 3 to 5 years. They might need his rookie contract for one more year to field a team that can make a deep playoff push.

It's quite possible they look to use the 10th pick (or both) to trade back in the draft and pick up a few more picks in later rounds to offset a Hurts deal, but you have to be pretty confident those new-found later-round picks are going to hit like the Chiefs did this past draft.