KUTradition
Contributor

Re: Vivek ramaswamy

Post by KUTradition »

three options:

1) troll

2) willfully ignorant

3) not very smart
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:37 am
JKLivin wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:16 am
Sparko wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:29 pm Mich and Randy swing that way though.
They’re not that bad. They upset people because they have different ideas and beliefs. They are not abusive and they don’t harass anyone. You may disagree with them, but they’re not being childish idiots. There’s a difference.
it has zero to do with them having different opinions

it’s that, specifically (imo), the opinions they trumpet don’t square with reality

but, that seems to be your m.o. as well, so it’s not surprising that you’d make excuses for, and attempt to defend them
So, you have to a) agree with someone's opinions and b) feel like they square with reality in order to not act like a mean girl in 9th grade? That seems ridiculous to me, but you do you, I guess.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

JKLivin wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:28 am

They’re not that bad. They upset people because they have different ideas and beliefs. They are not abusive and they don’t harass anyone. You may disagree with them, but they’re not being childish idiots. There’s a difference.

it’s that, specifically (imo), the opinions they trumpet don’t square with reality

but, that seems to be your m.o. as well, so it’s not surprising that you’d make excuses for, and attempt to defend them
So, you have to a) agree with someone's opinions and b) feel like they square with reality in order to not act like a mean girl in 9th grade? That seems ridiculous to me, but you do you, I guess.
People who consistently put out childish reasoning should not be surprised to sometimes get childish responses.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:36 am

People who consistently put out childish reasoning should not be surprised to sometimes get childish responses.
And the arbiter of what is and is not childish reasoning is determined how, exactly?
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Lying to justify statements/behaviors and then never admitting to anything when called on those lies is being childish. It's literally what children do.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

twocoach wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:50 am
Lying to justify statements/behaviors and then never admitting to anything when called on those lies is being childish. It's literally what children do.
As is attacking, name-calling, insulting, demeaning, and belittling. I have no dog in the fight. Just mystified by the mental gymnastics employed around here.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

JKLivin wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:52 am
twocoach wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:50 am

As is attacking, name-calling, insulting, demeaning, and belittling. I have no dog in the fight. Just mystified by the mental gymnastics employed around here.
Agreed. The childish name calling is annoying from all sides but those two have worn everyone's last nerve with their obvious trolling and bullshit. It's hard to always be the adult in the room, especially when it's not actually a toddler you're dealing with; just an adult behaving like one.
Last edited by twocoach on Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

JKLivin wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:50 am

And the arbiter of what is and is not childish reasoning is determined how, exactly?
A good mark of childish opinion is a conclusory, overbroad tone along with an unwillingness or inability to back it up with facts.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

If my kid's justification for what they want is a valid, well-formed argument based on logic and common sense then I frequently concede and let them have it even if I don't think they should.

If my kid's justification for what they want is "because I want it and my friend Sally gets to do it" then they are just being childish and can fuck off with that noise.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Funny, Psych is crying like a first grader over name calling.

The absolute King of Name Calling is tired of the name calling!
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Today In: "I believe in being consistent..."

Or,

Pulling the ladder up behind you.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:30 am Today In: "I believe in being consistent..."

Or,

Oh they’re consistent alright. Do as I say, not as I do. Rules for thee, but not for me.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

He wants to manipulate people. Some truth is going to be crushed in the remaking of his personna.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:35 am
Shirley wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:30 am Today In: "I believe in being consistent..."

Or,

Oh they’re consistent alright. Do as I say, not as I do. Rules for thee, but not for me.
...The privatization of profit and socialization of risk.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I would alter that to "socialization of risk and failure."
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:19 am
jfish26 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:35 am

Or,

...The privatization of profit and socialization of risk.
Griftocracy
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

twocoach wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:59 am

If my kid's justification for what they want is a valid, well-formed argument based on logic and common sense then I frequently concede and let them have it even if I don't think they should.

If my kid's justification for what they want is "because I want it and my friend Sally gets to do it" then they are just being childish and can fuck off with that noise.
Which is an appropriate response for your children. The difference is, no one here is a child, nor are any of us your responsibility to raise and socialize.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:56 am A good mark of childish opinion is a conclusory, overbroad tone along with an unwillingness or inability to back it up with facts.
I member going into my daughter's daycare years ago to visit her during lunch. Her buddy Javon was again arguing with the teacher. As soon as I sat down Javon came over and sat in my lap and continued his diatribe. My guess is he was searching for some sort of backup. The teacher walked over to us and said, "I do not debate with 4 year olds" and walked away. There was some hard earned wisdom in those words.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

JKLivin wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:11 am

Which is an appropriate response for your children. The difference is, no one here is a child, nor are any of us your responsibility to raise and socialize.
So, people that are unwilling or incapable of supporting their positions, deserve to have those opinions taken seriously? I do not agree with that.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:22 am
JKLivin wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:11 am

So, people that are unwilling or incapable of supporting their positions, deserve to have those opinions taken seriously? I do not agree with that.
Not at all. There is merit, however, in ignoring those individuals, versus insulting them or talking down to them, as many here are wont to do.