NFL Offseason 2023

Kansas Football.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: NFL Offseason 2023

Post by pdub »

Meh to shitty.
Shittymeh.
So basically why don't you just start the other team on the 25 yard line now. Why kick off?

"This season, a fair catch on a kickoff will be placed at the 25-yard line regardless of where it is fielded. The proposal is designed to counteract a recent increase in "pop-up" kickoffs that some teams use to pin the returning team deep in their own territory."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/377 ... -yard-line
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

that’s dumb as shit

field position is such a huge part of the chess match
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

It is basically going to be like alternating possessions on a jump.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Sparko wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:30 pm It is basically going to be like alternating possessions on a jump.
This is pretty good…but eliminating kick offs is just shredding a big part of football and one that can change a game in seconds. Jumps are important but there’s so many possessions in a basketball game.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:30 am
Sparko wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:30 pm It is basically going to be like alternating possessions on a jump.
This is pretty good…but eliminating kick offs is just shredding a big part of football and one that can change a game in seconds. Jumps are important but there’s so many possessions in a basketball game.
They aren't eliminating kickoffs. Players are still more than welcome to try to run back any kickoff. No one is required to make a fair catch or take a knee in the end zone for a touch back.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 12:31 pm Meh to shitty.
Shittymeh.
So basically why don't you just start the other team on the 25 yard line now. Why kick off?

"This season, a fair catch on a kickoff will be placed at the 25-yard line regardless of where it is fielded. The proposal is designed to counteract a recent increase in "pop-up" kickoffs that some teams use to pin the returning team deep in their own territory."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/377 ... -yard-line
Because if you really need to take the risk of better field position on your kickoff return, you can still try to return it.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Sure.
But this would be like moving the 3 point line to 32 feet after they previously moved it to 28 feet.
There comes a point where it's statistically not worth the risk except in special circumstances.

They are attempting to remove the play, there's no way around it.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 9:17 am Sure.
But this would be like moving the 3 point line to 32 feet after they previously moved it to 28 feet.
There comes a point where it's statistically not worth the risk except in special circumstances.

They are attempting to remove the play, there's no way around it.
Three pointers are 38% of all shot attempts per game for the average NBA team this season and the average team takes more than 34 threes a game.

Last year, NFL teams on average did just under 5 kickoffs a game and returned less than TWO kickoff per game.

It really wouldn't be like backing the 3 point line back 4 feet at all.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"returned less than TWO kickoff per game"

Well this is because of the previous rule changes which is trying to eliminate the kick off.
Perhaps not as impactful as shifting the 3 point line back but certainly more impactful than changing the tip to alt possession.

Players and coaches don't like it.
Fans don't like it.
Goodell just does as he pleases.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

didn’t the owners vote?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

They did.
My guess is the owners and Goodell wanted this to show they are concerned for player safety but meanwhile they are adding games to both the regular season and post so that's the ol' eye roll.

NFL fans wanted to stick to a 16 game season.
( 79% of 13,500 voters preferred a 16 game season over an 18 game season )
Didn't matter.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 11:32 am "returned less than TWO kickoff per game"

Well this is because of the previous rule changes which is trying to eliminate the kick off.
Perhaps not as impactful as shifting the 3 point line back but certainly more impactful than changing the tip to alt possession.

Players and coaches don't like it.
Fans don't like it.
Goodell just does as he pleases.
Again, the players are free to return any kick that they field.

I do not care about this change at all other than that many drives starting 5 yards closer to the end zone will strip a few yards off of the stats of fantasy players over the course of the season.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"I do not care about this change at all..."

You're in the minority then from what i'm seeing/reading.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:52 pm "I do not care about this change at all..."

You're in the minority then from what i'm seeing/reading.
Probably. I consider that a good thing usually.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I love kickoffs personally ( before the kickoff was moved up so kickers could more easily get the ball in the endzone ).
One of the more exciting plays in sports.
My guess is they'll be gone in 5-10 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWp3pCbRqg4
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/377 ... -not-money

Ever since signing what at the time was the richest contract in NFL history, Patrick Mahomes has watched as his annual pay slipped to seventh among the league's quarterbacks.

Mahomes indicated Wednesday after the Chiefs concluded their first week of offseason practice that he didn't find this development troubling.

"I've always said I worry about legacy and winning rings more than making money at this moment," he said. "We see what's going on around the league, but at the same time, I'll never do anything that's going to hurt us from keeping the great players around me. So it's kind of teetering around that line."

That's what Tom did. Be like Tom. Except eat strawberries and hamburgers and drink beer.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Mahomes is right. Plus he pockets some sweet endorsement money and an ATM from the Royals never signing anybody better than Dozier.
On kick-offs: the penalties increased to the point where it is clear they are trying to rule it out.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The Cardinals ( lol ) just straight released Deandre Hopkins.

We have little cap to sign him right?
But what if we did?
Amaze balls.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Brett Veach turned $177 of cap room into an extension of Chris Jones and Mahomes in one offseason. Cap space is an imaginary number. Convert the cap space into a signing bonus or something along those lines and it frees up that cap.

However, that being said, I think he goes to the Bills.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

We currently have the very least cap space of all 32 teams.
It's somewhat imaginary but there are limits to what you can do.
Bills however are basically in the same spot as we are.