NFL Offseason 2023

Kansas Football.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: NFL Offseason 2023

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:43 pm I just don’t get it.
Why not tag and trade Orlando?
Probably something to do with the mechanics of the league year calendar. I believe the cap hold that would have arisen from tagging him would have tied up the money needed to sign Taylor (and, if they like the value on Taylor, I'm sure they were concerned that they couldn't wait).
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

This only makes sense if they think they have a trade for a LT well in the process.

If it’s “we can get a rookie LT” then you tag Orlando and shop him for a 2nd.

Then use that pick to move up to get one of the two premier tackles.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Must be nice to be critical of a staff that has produced a team good enough to get to 3 of the last 4 Super Bowls. I get the rightful questioning and of course no one is mistake free but gee, I wish the Bears had the problems and were making the questionable decisions the Chiefs have /had.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

They've made some great moves -- the greatest one I actually was opposed to ( thought we were giving up too much for Mahomes ) so anything I say is kinda moot -- but they have made some pretty bad ones that I figured would be bad ( Speaks, Frank Clark, CEH, Hardman ) -- this is one of those as well ( UNLESS we have a LT trade in the works ).
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:53 am This only makes sense if they think they have a trade for a LT well in the process.

If it’s “we can get a rookie LT” then you tag Orlando and shop him for a 2nd.

Then use that pick to move up to get one of the two premier tackles.
I'm not sure I follow. My point was that you probably can't sign Taylor if you have a cap hold for franchising Brown.

So, if you want Taylor, then you probably could NOT tag/trade Brown.

I also don't know exactly how the comp pick(s) will work for Brown - that may also play into the sequencing here.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

But Taylor has never played LT.
And to dedicate 60-80 mill to him is quite the investment.
Orlando would have been cheaper this year and then you draft a tackle for the future. Very much try and trade him but if no one bites, you still have a LT for next season.

This only makes sense to me if they think they can land a LT in a trade.

The comp pick will likely be a 3rd. So basically a high fourth. He’s worth more than that.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:16 am But Taylor has never played LT.
And to dedicate 60-80 mill to him is quite the investment.
Orlando would have been cheaper this year and then you draft a tackle for the future. Very much try and trade him but if no one bites, you still have a LT for next season.

This only makes sense to me if they think they can land a LT in a trade.

The comp pick will likely be a 3rd. So basically a high fourth. He’s worth more than that.
I think (this comes off more negatively than I intend) you're doing a little selection/cherry-picking.

Wasn't Brown a RT in Baltimore?

The franchise tag on Brown would have been a shade under $19mm, but without any mechanism to either front- or backload it. So I'm not sure whether he actually would have been cheaper in 2023 (and, if he would have been, it's probably an immaterial amount).

Brown may or may not have been able to fetch something better than a low 3rd in a tag/trade...but the opportunity cost for doing so might have been the Taylor signing.

I'm not sure I would have done what the Chiefs did - I probably would have resigned Wylie for what Washington gave him, and then done whatever was needed to move up in the draft for a LT - but I don't think it was an obvious miss.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I’m confident Browns value is worth a 2nd. He’s been to a number of pro bowls and is going to command a big contract because of this. Brown also played LT for most of a season while the Ravens starter was hurt and did it well so we knew better what he could be. He also was a better player at that moment than Taylor is now.

If you don’t think he could land a second then I get your argument but mine is based on that.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:30 am I’m confident Browns value is worth a 2nd. He’s been to a number of pro bowls and is going to command a big contract because of this. Brown also played LT for most of a season while the Ravens starter was hurt and did it well so we knew better what he could be. He also was a better player at that moment than Taylor is now.

If you don’t think he could land a second then I get your argument but mine is based on that.
I think it's possible you could get a 2nd. But if that would have come at the cost of being able to sign Taylor, I understand why you'd take the comp pick and Taylor (over the 2nd).
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

But then you’d have that 2nd that you could use to move up to get one of the two premiere rookie LTs. And all the cap to try and address RT.

You don’t get the 3rd ( at best ) round comp until end of next.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

That's not a bad deal for Jakobi Meyers from the Raiders ( 3 years, 33 million ).
Only 26.
Jimmy G has a good 1/2 WR crew.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Taylor's cap hit this year is ridiculously low. His bonuses ensure it is under $5M. Now the Chiefs have money and can trade with the Texans or maybe re-sign Brown. Trey Smith is going to be costly in a few years, as is Creed. I think we'll see some positional shifts on the line depending on how this goes down.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

OK, I just saw this.
So they just kicking the can in a sense down the road for what, 27 million cap next year for an above average RT?
I prefer shopping Orlando but it looks like it'll work for next season.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Chiefs to sign OT Jawaan Taylor

The deal: Four years, $80 million ($60 million guaranteed)
Grade: C-
Taylor is an adequate pass-blocking right tackle, but this contract severely overstates his ability. His 89% pass block win rate for Jacksonville last season ranked 37th out of 64 qualifying tackles last season, and his 69% run block win rate was sixth-worst among tackles. Our numbers are not alone: Pro Football Focus had Taylor as above average in pass protection and last in run blocking. That's two different evaluation methods coming to the same conclusion -- that Taylor is far from an elite tackle. Plus, Trevor Lawrence's strong sack avoidance -- a strength for Patrick Mahomes, too -- likely artificially makes the Jaguars' offensive line look better than it is.
This deal is expensive enough that we probably can assume Kansas City won't bring back left tackle Orlando Brown Jr. It remains to be seen what Brown will receive on the open market, but I would much rather pay him than Taylor. This also means the Chiefs have splashed out for Taylor and still need a left tackle, or that they'll put Taylor on the left side, where he has not played in the NFL.
I get that protecting Mahomes is absolutely critical for the Chiefs. And if there were no other options on the market, I'd understand. But there are! Cameron Fleming, Jermaine Eluemunor or even an Andrew Wylie return would all be palatable for significantly less cost. And the cost is important, because the Chiefs have other needs to fill.
One positive is that Taylor is just 25 years old and is a 2019 early second-round pick, so there is a possibility he could improve. -- Walder
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Jets sign Lazard to 4/44 in rumors to get Rodgers.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Pretty good deal for David Montgomery.
Lions giving up on Swift?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:53 am Pretty good deal for David Montgomery.
Yeah I don't get this one.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:25 am
If anyone does get it, they could probably teach nuclear physics AND brain surgery at an Ivy League school.

FWIW (a Barry Sanders bobblehead without the body and base and a 14 day old moldy slice of Detroit style pizza?) the Lions haven't finished first in the NFC Central/North since 1993.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:25 am
Think they like a 2 back lineup. Williams is going to be done there.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor