These stupid trucks are literally killing us

Coffee talk.
DrPepper

These stupid trucks are literally killing us

Post by DrPepper »

It’s been discussed here before about how trucks are getting taller and killing people (usually the driver’s own kids). Here is a new video on related content.

https://youtu.be/jN7mSXMruEo
TDub
Contributor

Re: These stupid trucks are literally killing us

Post by TDub »

good grief
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

add at least 1,000 lbs for a battery…children erasers

a friend of my wife’s recently had an in-law hit a kill her toddler in their driveway…had no idea the kid was there even after contact

sad situation for sure
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Clarification, I only watched the first 8 minutes or so, but it seems like he's talking about all SUV's.
That's an eyeroll from me.
There are practical uses for SUV's and trucks ( of reasonable size ).

If his argument is specifically about populated cities and making them more eco/person friendly, then I get it -- I wouldn't be opposed to zones where certain vehicles of this size couldn't drive into or park.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I know a distressingly large number of white-collar cowboys...office-type dudes (it's always dudes) dressing in crisp Carhartts and unblemished Ariats, driving $80,000 Sierra Denalis, all for cosplaying as something they're decidedly not. It really is cultural appropriation, ultimately.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Good grief indeed.

Are my wife and I okay in our Ford Explorers?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

OK, this guy is the worst.

"The most outdoorsy people i've met, those who regularly go hiking or camping, drive something like a Suburu Outback wagon, because they are actually adventurous people, not just a bunch of posers in SUV's."

Takes any kind of objectivity, which he was basing a good amount of the beginning of his video with, and throws it out the window with this line.
Deleted User 863

My mother in law backed over their family dog in a Toyota Camry.
Deleted User 863

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:31 am OK, this guy is the worst.

"The most outdoorsy people i've met, those who regularly go hiking or camping, drive something like a Suburu Outback wagon, because they are actually adventurous people, not just a bunch of posers in SUV's."

Takes any kind of objectivity, which he was basing a good amount of the beginning of his video with, and throws it out the window with this line.
The Suburu cult is almost as bad as the lifted truck cult.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I drive a Subaru SUV.
I got it so I could regularly go hiking and camping, because it got good gas mileage and because of it's clearance and AWD for light off roading and driving in the snow.

It's been nothing but dependable and I expect to drive it into the ground.

The wagon wouldn't work for me.
Not quite enough space and definitely not enough clearance.

But just generalizing that all real outdoorsy people ( that I'VE met ) drive vehicles like the ones I approve minimizes everything he had said up to that point. I'm gathering he lives in a big city so only sees a certain type of person. And as someone who lived in NYC for 10 years, it was kind of rare to find a 'real outdoorsy person' living there because, well, that type of person wouldn't live there ( for long ).

I get his argument when it comes to metropolitan areas. I don't think that people shouldn't be able to purchase those vehicles in those places but there could be a solve to deter people from buying something they probably don't actually need.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I think Darwin had a bit to say here. Watch your kids. Teach them about vehicles of all kinds. I drive an SUV and an old Camaro. My wife drives a small pickup. I would like electric vehicles to drive on an energized monorail as they are driven en masse by computers and charge their batteries for quick autonomous off the grid travel. I am sure we would hear bitter complaints for the dangers of pissing on the grid.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

My wife drives a Subaru Impreza, I drive a Ford 150 for work and a 1964 Norton Electra for giggles. Now let's talk about the Range Rovers in major urban areas.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'd zone off areas of the city with like 3 zones and make it illegal for you to drive and park in certain zones with certain cars. When you registered your car you could request a city tag and depending on what car you owned, you'd get access to one, two or three zones.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

See my zones idea above.
Focus on making public transport as effective as possible ( in cities ).
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

and yea there are practical uses for trucks and SUVs, but they're hardly used that way.

some time (in the late 90s?), the SUV replaced the minivan as the standard issue soccer mom vehicle. It still had the capacity to take half the team plus a cooler full of sliced oranges to practice, but it was just cooler and fancier and more of a status symbol than a van.

and, let's face it: the late model lifted truck owners are among the least likely to use trucks for truck stuff. You think a cosplay cowboy is gonna just like, spend all weekend hauling firewood or some shit? no way bro, he doesn't do that work himself, he pays somebody to do that shit!

And besides, he doesn't wanna risk scratching up the truck...or the designer boots...

and besides besides, he's got a gas fireplace anyway.

...with all that said, I sometimes find WhistlinDiesel to be entertaining, even if in a guilty pleasure/can't not stare at a car wreck (literally) kinda way.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

good grief. This thread.....sheesh.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

how many times are we gonna rehash this exact same topic? You guys in the moral high ground desert? Needed a little bump of degradation to feel better about yourselves? Get yourself hiked up in those saddles all by your lonesome? That's a ways up there by god.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 863

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:35 am but there could be a solve to deter people from buying something they probably don't actually need.
Are we doing this for all aspects of life? Or just cars?

How does one determine what someone else "needs"?
Deleted User 863

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:03 am I'd zone off areas of the city with like 3 zones and make it illegal for you to drive and park in certain zones with certain cars. When you registered your car you could request a city tag and depending on what car you owned, you'd get access to one, two or three zones.
And what about commercial vehicles?

Is this about safety or punshing people who make a vehicle choice you don't like?